Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM

151 posts, read 290,789 times

Advertisements

First, I'll explain why we are considering this move.

Currently, we live in New Orleans. I'm soooo tired of the hurricanes, the massive heat thats unlike anywhere else (trust me, Atlanta is better, even when its hot, the humidity doesn't compare to what its like here. I've been to Atlanta at its hottest). I'm tired of the roaches getting into our house. Sick to death of being below sea level and subject to tornadoes with nowhere to go to hide from them because we can't have basements.

And then there's the fact that both my husband and my jobs are in jeopardy. The company I work for has sold 5 hotels in the last year, so we're down to three with rumors of another one going. The company he works for was just sold. Literally within the last week. We don't know how long he will have his job.

In NOLA, we have one family member and no friends. In Atlanta, family would be an easy three hour drive to spend a weekend with them instead of the ten hours it is now. And one of his closest and dearest friends lives in Austell.

Then there's the fact that I love how Atlanta feels. Its so spread out, it doesn't feel like a city. All the trees, the new feeling to all the buildings, and most of all its not a swamp.

Its time.

That being said, we are both looking for work in the city from here. He's already had two interviews with a company that would prove very good for his career. It is, however, in downtown Atlanta.

Ok second thing, I'll post what we are looking for.

1. Safety. I've compared crime stats between NOLA and Atlanta, and frankly they are about the same with Atlanta being slightly worse. Even as neighborhoods go, the suburb we live in in NOLA is considered one of the better areas, and its actually much worse than any of the neighborhoods I'm considering in Atlanta.

2. We don't have children. We probably won't ever have children because we aren't children type of people. I like being able to get up when I want, go where I want, and do what I want. I'm 35. I don't see that ever changing. So the schools don't really matter much.

3. Condo or apartment are probably best. Condo means we can own it later. We'd be interested in a two bedroom since that means extra storage even if it costs more. A house means yard work. Yuck. The only yard work I want to do is stuff thats voluntary. Add to that that I would insist on having a secure entrance, both into the building I live in and the gate access. I want to minimize the chance that we will be robbed or worse as much as I possibly can.

4. Suburban is good. It means it will be quieter. We aren't party people and a fun night out is usually dinner and a movie.

5. Public transit matters since we only have one car and likely my husband will be using that to drive into the downtown. I need to be able to get where I need to go easily. Yes, I'll be working but he will probably need to be the one to find a job first, and then I will find one once we move there. I tend to be a line worker (which I hate but not much choice since I'm not from the US. We all have to start somewhere) whereas he's more specialized. Whatever job he gets will be able to support us both for a time. Whatever job I get will probably barely be able to take care of me alone.

6. I'd like to keep the commute down to 30 minutes if possible. Currently its about 20-25 minutes for us and thats just fine. No more than an hour if we can avoid it.

7. Budget depends on the job, but likely about $1000 a month for rent/mortgage and then the utility bills and whatnot due to the level he will be employed at. It will be tight for a while but we will be fine after I start working (yes, I work in NOLA atm).

8. I don't really care about the demographics of the neighborhood so long as its as safe as possible, and it will be extremely unlikely that we will be flooded out, or wiped out by a hurricane or tornado. In NOLA, all of those things are very possible and its a very stressful way to live. My husband doesn't want to move anywhere else here because he's paranoid ever since Katrina. He wants out of this area and can't take the hurricanes anymore. The kind of weather that happens in Atlanta is much preferred over what we're getting here. He lived there for a little while after Katrina. The only reason he came back to NOLA is that he was offered a $10,000 raise by his old company to do so. He couldn't refuse it.

I'm from Canada. The city I grew up in had an extremely low crime rate with only 1 murder every two years, only 5 assaults this year, and 17 robberies. Yes, its really that low.

I've never had to worry about it as much as I have since I've moved to NOLA, so safety is my priority above all other things. Yes, I know Atlanta's reputation and that its not possible to EVER be completely safe. But I figure that taking precautions like making sure its a secure gated entrance, and a secure building with possibly an alarm system installed, I can finally let it go to some extent.

Its time to go.

So, down to the nitty gritty.... where to live in Atlanta. After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion Austell, or Decatur.

Both zip codes in Austell seem to have very low crime rates compared to almost anywhere else in Atlanta per 2009 stats. And I absolutely love the area where my husbands friend lives. So peaceful and beautiful. The problem is, I don't remember what zip code it is. Will have to ask the friend next time I talk to him.

As for Decatur, it seems Oakhurst and Winnona park are two of the best areas to live with the area codes 30030, 30033, 30329, 30034 and 30002 have good to excellent reputations.

What I want/need to know is where do you suggest? I'm not sure of the commute from either of these into the downtown area. And statistics can only tell you so much compared to experience.

Last edited by moiraesfate; 06-24-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
First, I'll explain why we are considering this move.

Currently, we live in New Orleans. I'm soooo tired of the hurricanes, the massive heat thats unlike anywhere else (trust me, Atlanta is better, even when its hot, the humidity doesn't compare to what its like here. I've been to Atlanta at its hottest). I'm tired of the roaches getting into our house. Sick to death of being below sea level and subject to tornadoes with nowhere to go to hide from them because we can't have basements.

And then there's the fact that both my husband and my jobs are in jeopardy. The company I work for has sold 5 hotels in the last year, so we're down to three with rumors of another one going. The company he works for was just sold. Literally within the last week. We don't know how long he will have his job.

In NOLA, we have one family member and no friends. In Atlanta, family would be an easy three hour drive to spend a weekend with them instead of the ten hours it is now. And one of his closest and dearest friends lives in Austell.

Then there's the fact that I love how Atlanta feels. Its so spread out, it doesn't feel like a city. All the trees, the new feeling to all the buildings, and most of all its not a swamp.

Its time.

That being said, we are both looking for work in the city from here. He's already had two interviews with a company that would prove very good for his career. It is, however, in downtown Atlanta.

Ok second thing, I'll post what we are looking for.

1. Safety. I've compared crime stats between NOLA and Atlanta, and frankly they are about the same with Atlanta being slightly worse. Even as neighborhoods go, the suburb we live in in NOLA is considered one of the better areas, and its actually much worse than any of the neighborhoods I'm considering in Atlanta.

2. We don't have children. We probably won't ever have children because we aren't children type of people. I like being able to get up when I want, go where I want, and do what I want. I'm 35. I don't see that ever changing. So the schools don't really matter much.

3. Condo or apartment are probably best. Condo means we can own it later. We'd be interested in a two bedroom since that means extra storage even if it costs more. A house means yard work. Yuck. The only yard work I want to do is stuff thats voluntary. Add to that that I would insist on having a secure entrance, both into the building I live in and the gate access. I want to minimize the chance that we will be robbed or worse as much as I possibly can.

4. Suburban is good. It means it will be quieter. We aren't party people and a fun night out is usually dinner and a movie.

5. Public transit matters since we only have one car and likely my husband will be using that to drive into the downtown. I need to be able to get where I need to go easily. Yes, I'll be working but he will probably need to be the one to find a job first, and then I will find one once we move there. I tend to be a line worker (which I hate but not much choice since I'm not from the US. We all have to start somewhere) whereas he's more specialized. Whatever job he gets will be able to support us both for a time. Whatever job I get will probably barely be able to take care of me alone.

6. I'd like to keep the commute down to 30 minutes if possible. Currently its about 20-25 minutes for us and thats just fine. No more than an hour if we can avoid it.

7. Budget depends on the job, but likely about $1000 a month for rent/mortgage and then the utility bills and whatnot due to the level he will be employed at. It will be tight for a while but we will be fine after I start working (yes, I work in NOLA atm).

8. I don't really care about the demographics of the neighborhood so long as its as safe as possible, and it will be extremely unlikely that we will be flooded out, or wiped out by a hurricane or tornado. In NOLA, all of those things are very possible and its a very stressful way to live. My husband doesn't want to move anywhere else here because he's paranoid ever since Katrina. He wants out of this area and can't take the hurricanes anymore. The kind of weather that happens in Atlanta is much preferred over what we're getting here. He lived there for a little while after Katrina. The only reason he came back to NOLA is that he was offered a $10,000 raise by his old company to do so. He couldn't refuse it.

I'm from Canada. The city I grew up in had an extremely low crime rate with only 1 murder every two years, only 5 assaults this year, and 17 robberies. Yes, its really that low.

I've never had to worry about it as much as I have since I've moved to NOLA, so safety is my priority above all other things. Yes, I know Atlanta's reputation and that its not possible to EVER be completely safe. But I figure that taking precautions like making sure its a secure gated entrance, and a secure building with possibly an alarm system installed, I can finally let it go to some extent.

Its time to go.

So, down to the nitty gritty.... where to live in Atlanta. After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion Austell, or Decatur.

Both zip codes in Austell seem to have very low crime rates compared to almost anywhere else in Atlanta per 2009 stats. And I absolutely love the area where my husbands friend lives. So peaceful and beautiful. The problem is, I don't remember what zip code it is. Will have to ask the friend next time I talk to him.

As for Decatur, it seems Oakhurst and Winnona park are two of the best areas to live with the area codes 30030, 30033, 30329, 30034 and 30002 have good to excellent reputations.

What I want/need to know is where do you suggest? I'm not sure of the commute from either of these into the downtown area. And statistics can only tell you so much compared to experience.

I hope you will be able to relocate to Atlanta. Not too much about New Orleans excites me.

I think you should prioritize a number of things first.

Your number one priority is finding jobs. In this job market, beggars can't be choosers. It's very possible the jobs may not be located in the areas you have mentioned. If that is indeed the case, it would be advantageous for you to live near your place of employment.

Many areas of metro Atlanta have desireable cities. You may not be living in Decatur or Austell, but I'm sure you will be finding attractive places and areas to live.

In regard to stormy weather, west metro Atlanta generally has more tornadoes and thunderstorms than other areas. Not always but generally. And do keep in mind that the entire metro area has noticeable differences in temperatures. As much as 10 degrees.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Oh yes, I know that. But we won't have long to make a decision if he does get the job, so I'm trying to get as much information in advance. That way we hopefully won't have to spend long in a hotel. The more you know and all that.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post

Oh yes, I know that. But we won't have long to make a decision if he does get the job, so I'm trying to get as much information in advance. That way we hopefully won't have to spend long in a hotel. The more you know and all that.

When I moved here 20 years ago, I lived in two different motels with kitchenettes. They were both very nice with attractive weekly rates. Twenty years ago there weren't many of them in town. Now, there's quite a few of them.

I would just be kind of hesitant to rush into things, like signing a lease, too fast.

Regardless, it will take some time to really get acquainted with metro Atlanta.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,409 times
I think you should add the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area to your search. Transit is available in the area. It will take about 30-40 minutes to arrive downtown from Sandy Springs on MARTA.

Sandy Springs has its own skyline so it feels semi urban while offering a suburban lifestyle. The area is clean and safe.

Sandy Springs (City of Sandy Springs - Home) is a diverse and beautiful area located just north of Buckhead. Traffic is high, but I believe you will like it.

There are many restaurants and entertainment options in the area. There are two highways nearby for easy access (GA-400 and I-285) as well.

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 06-24-2011 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Took me years to get used to NOLA. Getting there now. Just sick of some things. Still getting used to the US.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
My first impression is that you are overstressing the crime stats - don't. There are certaintly areas of Atlanta that are iffy but in general most of Atlanta is safe.

Austell would not be a good option for you. It is too far out to be reliable for public transportation. Look for something close to a MARTA rail line. It would make more sense for you to drop your husband off at the rail line (or walk if you end up close enough) and then free up the car for you - or vice versa.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Thank you Lori. Thats one of the things I really needed to know. What about the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Sandy Springs/Dunwoody - very nice. Plenty of hotels in the area for work (Intercontinenal Hotel Group which includes Holiday Inn is headquartered there). May be above your price range, I am not up to date on the rental market.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:18 PM

199 posts, read 178,958 times
Your husband should take Marta downtown. You should use the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta