Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM

567 posts, read 889,846 times

Advertisements

Turner Field vendors file suit against the city over right to sell *| ajc.com

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
I thought that this quote is nothing but hyperbole:

“Atlanta has the worst vending laws in the entire country,” said Robert Frommer, the attorney representing the vendors. “Atlanta should be encouraging entrepreneurship in these tough economic times, but Atlanta’s vending monopoly stifles the economic growth that the city desperately needs.”

Having said that, I can certainly sympathize with the old timers who, all of a sudden, are being regulated and required to pony up substantially higher fees to conduct their business. On the other hand, the city does have an interest in regulating this type of commerce. I appreciate it more, though, in the Woodruff Park and other areas that are not "transient" like the Turner Field area, where folks who live and work in the area, and tourists expecting a somewhat orderly locale, are directly impacted by street vendors hawking their wares. Is it appropriate at Turner Field? I sorta am of the opinion that those folks should be left alone - at least the ones who have a history there.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
According to this-
Atlanta: Small Changes, Big Opportunities for Micro-Enterprises
Sometimes, modest changes in policy clear the way for new jobs and opportunities in a city. Mayors can serve as ‘market makers’ – especially when working with neighborhood entrepreneurs and micro-enterprises. An example comes from the city of Atlanta’s Public Property Vending Program. In the first phase of the project, General Growth will install as many as 100 new kiosks, creating at least 100 new jobs and attracting $6 million in private investment in the city. And this in exchange for smart policy changes and $0 in public funding. Here’s how they did it.
At the close of the Civil War, the city passed a law that allowed returning veterans to operate vending stands on city streets. The program was highly regulated. For example, each vending location was established by city ordinance. Over time, fewer vendors joined the program, and by 2000 less than half of the available vending spaces were being used and downtown businesses complained about the physical presence of the vendors. The stations were unkempt and the array of merchandise available was very limited.
The city faced a choice – either shut down the market or find a way to inject new energy and investment into the market they were trying to make. But, to no surprise, public funds to improve the infrastructure and aesthetics were simply not available.
Instead, the city decided to find a private sector partner who could transform the program into a true outdoor marketplace. The City's vision was that street vending was the equivalent of an outdoor mall, and it needed to be managed like one.
To realize this vision, the City rewrote the public vending code in a way that authorized - among other things – the City to outsource the management of public vending to a third party. The City then issued an RFP for public vending management services. The result?
Atlanta selected General Growth Properties, the second largest mall operator in the country, which then designed, built and installed kiosks for vendors to use – paid for completely by vendor rent and advertising. No taxpayer funds were necessary – just a set of policies friendly to a new partnership between the city, the national partner, and local entrepreneur.

I'd say they don't have much of a chance at winning.
I always wonder about all the "other" things that any business should have besides a business license- like general liability, etc.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM

112 posts, read 171,473 times
when those vendors collect sales tax, report their true income, follow health codes, pay for business licenses, and pay for trash removal, then they can bring a complaint against the City.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I am pro-vendor.

I'm just surprised that in a state that prides itself on being less-regulation & pro-business that this heavy-handed regulation of the Turner Field vendors would even be entertained. I've walked on Capitol Avenue by these guys many times. I've never felt harassed, and I actually find it cool to see a little bazaar-style atmosphere similar to that which I witnessed when I was in the desert overseas.

But once again, I guess some people are more welcomed to be entreprenuers in our fair city than others. The ol' south strikes again.

I've seen some of these green Kiosks that the city put up; saw them around Woodruff park, on Broad Street, and on Gilmer street adjacent to the Georgia State University student center. They suck, bottomline.

These city kiosks are generic looking, add no ambiance to the surrounding area, & the crap that the vendors usually sell in these kiosks is the same stuff that's sold at the newstands in the surrounding office buildings. No unique goods, no exotic foods...just the same ol' bubblegum/snicker-bars crapola. It makes me wonder if there are rules even for what is sold in these kiosks, but knowing the way Atlanta works, it's far more likely than not.

I guess Mayor Reed is trying to attract more wasted-away skinny yuppies from the exurbs who are afraid of their own shadows let alone walking around downtown after 4pm, but still...there's got to be a better way to regulate the vendors without cutting them off at the knees just to satisfy the nervous Nancys.

Free market conservatives! Where are you guys when we need you?

I know; y'all are too busy defending Halliburton overcharging our soldiers who are fighting for us in Afghanistan & Iraq and defending companies who get huge tax-breaks even while they send American jobs overseas to third-world slave-labor countries.

Free-market conservatives: if I don't hear from you guys coming out in force in defense of these vendors...it's only more proof of why y'all deserve a flat-out fail in my book.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 07-30-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I am pro-vendor.

I'm just surprised that in a state that prides itself on being less-regulation & pro-business that this heavy-handed regulation of the Turner Field vendors would even be entertained. I've walked on Capitol Avenue by these guys many times. I've never felt harassed, and I actually find it cool to see a little bazaar-style atmosphere similar to that which I witnessed when I was in the desert overseas.

But once again, I guess some people are more welcomed to be entreprenuers in our fair city than others. The ol' south strikes again..
I agree, Snake, except that I don't see what "the old South" has to do with it. According to the vendors' lawyers, these crackdowns are much more common in the North and on the West Coast.

But wherever they are, let the free market rule! Keep the gubmint out of things like this.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Yeah, I'm just wondering why on any other day when the majority members of our southern society typically protest changes in government that affects them or protest government benefits that they feel are unrightfully given to others, the threads are usually all lit up with howls of rage & protest...but when changes affects the weaker members of our society(minorities) and no government benefits are involved...nary a peep.

It's astounding to notice the difference in reaction of the threads involving Atlanta's school systems versus this thread. I'll give this thread a week or less before it simply disappears.

I would think that this is a perfect opportunity for the free-market conservatives in Georgia to show the strength of their ideological purity and lend their help to these hapless vendors...and maybe pick up a few more supporters in the process. Talk about missing a major opportunity.

Also to prove my point about the difference in the treatment of vendors, there's a farm festival that takes place on the 500 block of Flat Shoals Avenue in East Atlanta.

East Atlanta Village Farmers Market | A Community Farmers Market

I've driven by it a couple of times and find myself perplexed by how so many cars park on the road and essentially creating a roadway safety hazard. It also takes place in a residential neighborhood so I find myself even more confused as to how people tolerate such a situation with the noise and all.

But I've come to the conclusion that while ad hoc farm bazaars are okay when they involve middle to upper class types, it seems to be not okay for the lesser-heeled members of our society. In the case of the targeted Turner Field vendors, they don't even operate anywhere near a residential neighborhood, and yet they are still being harrassed. W-T-F!

Pretty much "old south" stuff if you ask me. Once again our minority members are denied the opportunity to create and build wealth...and yet these same ol' southern conservative jerks wonder why minorities are so dependent on the government for bennies.

Folks may not like the conclusions I come to in my observations about life, and that's fine. I don't mind the criticism. My challenge to the nay-sayers is this:

Prove...me...wrong...I dare ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree, Snake, except that I don't see what "the old South" has to do with it. According to the vendors' lawyers, these crackdowns are much more common in the North and on the West Coast.

But wherever they are, let the free market rule! Keep the gubmint out of things like this.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 07-30-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I've driven by it a couple of times and find myself perplex by how so many cars park on the road and essentially creating a roadway safety hazard. It also takes place in a residential neighborhood so I find myself even more confused as to how people tolerate such a situation with the noise and all.

But I've come to the conclusion that while ad hoc farm bazaars are okay when they involve middle to upper class types, it seems to be not okay for the lesser-heeled members of our society. In the case of the targeted Turner Field vendors, they don't even operate anywhere near a residential neighborhood, and yet they are still being harrassed. W-T-F!

Pretty much "old south" stuff if you ask me. Once again our minority members are denied the opportunity to create and build wealth...and these southern conservative jerks wonder why minorities are so dependent are on the government for bennies.

Folks may not like the conclusions I come to in my observations about life and that's fine. My challenge to the nay-sayers is this:

Prove...me...wrong... I dare ya!
Well, actually, there have been complaints about farmers markets and the city just passed an ordinance setting out the rules. You have to get a permit and follow the guidelines.

Farmers Market Ordinance

It applies to everybody -- East Atlanta yuppies and Turner Field minorities alike -- just like the street vendors ordinance.

When it comes to denying our minority members the opportunity to create and build wealth, for at least the last two generations the government of the city has been virtually 100% in the hands of African American leaders. We're widely known as America's black mecca and it's hard to imagine why the folks downtown would do anything to hold down minorities.

How is this "old South"?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Oh please.

I read the regulations you provided. The East Atlanta farming vendors are not being forced to operate in government-built kiosks or being made to pay extraordinarily high fees individually. They operate free-standing in an open parking lot, and I've seen it myself.

The disparity in treatment of the East Atlanta farm vendors vs. the Turner Field vendors are so pathetically obvious that even a blind man can see them.

As far as Africa American leaders being in control of city? Smoke & mirrors my friend, smoke & mirrors. Black political leaders may sit at the seats, but the true power behind Atlanta's governance has always been more of a"éminence grise" type of situation.

The Atlanta Metro chamber of commerce & the big businesses & wealthy families that back this organization weld the true power. Always has been the case, pre & post desegregation. This situation in the APS cheating scandal should've made that social-political reality crystal clear.

If you haven't recognized that reality by now, then I don't know what else to tell ya.

Might as well end the conversation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, actually, there have been complaints about farmers markets and the city just passed an ordinance setting out the rules. You have to get a permit and follow the guidelines.

Farmers Market Ordinance

It applies to everybody -- East Atlanta yuppies and Turner Field minorities alike -- just like the street vendors ordinance.

When it comes to denying our minority members the opportunity to create and build wealth, for at least the last two generations the government of the city has been virtually 100% in the hands of African American leaders. We're widely known as America's black mecca and it's hard to imagine why the folks downtown would do anything to hold down minorities.

How is this "old South"?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 07-30-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
As far as Africa American leaders being in control of city? Smoke & mirrors my friend, smoke & mirrors. Black political leaders may sit at the seats, but the true power behind Atlanta's governance has always been more of a"éminence grise" type of situation.
I seriously doubt that's the assessment you'd get from Mayor Reed, Mayor Franklin, Council President Mitchell, Councilman Martin, Chief Turner, Cathy Hampton, Chief Cochran, Yvonne Yancey, Commissioners Emma Darnell or John Eaves, ADA President Ernestine Gary, Planning Director Shelby, Chief Judge Gaines, D.A. Howard, Solicitor Carter, Sens. Tate and Forte, Sheriff Jackson, Tax Commissioner Ferdinand, School Superintendent Davis, etc., etc., etc.

ETA: Snake, don't forget that I said I agree with you that the stadium T-shirt vendors are getting a raw deal. But it's not some kind of "old South" trick to keep the black man down. There are a lot of highly educated, experienced and competent people running the city. They've been doing it for a couple of generations now, and it's a pretty serious slap at them to insist that they're merely the puppets of behind the scenes white racists.

Last edited by arjay57; 07-30-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta