Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to Atlanta today knowing what you know about it?
I live in Atlanta - Id still move here 9 12.33%
I live in Atlanta - I wouldnt move here 30 41.10%
I live in Atlanta - Not sure 3 4.11%
I do not live in Atlanta- Id still move here 18 24.66%
I do not live in Atlanta- I wouldnt move here 6 8.22%
I do not live in Atlanta - Not sure 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:41 PM

75 posts, read 324,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Grew up in NJ, moved to Atl for college plus a couple years, now lived in Boston for 2 years. I've been yearning to move back to Atlanta since I stepped foot in MA. Earning $120k won't be enough to buy you a 1600 s.f. 3 bedroom house anywhere remotely desirable that's within 1 hour of the city. In a recent survey, over 50% of Bostonians said they would move out of the state if given the opportunity.
I moved here from MA about 16 years ago to attend college and never had a desire to move back. I can completely relate to what you said. I love Boston and enjoy my visits, but I am always happy to come back to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 05:09 PM

12 posts, read 57,670 times
I hate to sound negative...BUT I voted "I live in Atlanta - I wouldn't move here". Basically for all the reasons already listed; I thought I was the only one waking up saying, "ugh, I'm HERE".
The vibe in Atlanta is not easily described.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM

110 posts, read 438,817 times
some people here are so funny.
yeah they have it all in Atlanta, house job, etc... they moved here from other state and now they are giving opinion oh i would never move here.
if u do not like it guys, move out.
but just wonders me always how much you appreciate things in life. no wonder you want to move. people who complain never have luck in life.
unthankfullness is a blessing blocker

Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,231 times
I voted, "live here, wouldn't move here" because of the education system. Schools for special needs kids are so far behind here, it is literally a bad joke. Spring and fall are really bad if you have allergies.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
Yeah, their are allot of white people up North. And I plan on going to Maine! But I'm half white so maybe I'll only be half despised?

On a side note, I hate hot weather, that's my main reason for wanting to move almost as north as possible.
Only half white? Yeah, you'll stand out like a sore thumb in Maine, those people are transparent. There is no diversity in Maine, it has to be the whitest place in the US.

Have you ever lived in the north? The winters in Maine are tough. I'm not talking you'll have to put on a jacket kind of tough. I mean it is so cold your snot freezes, you have to put on 5 layers and make sure no skin is exposed and you're still cold. You are stuck in the house for months on end. You leave for work in the morning, it is dark, you leave work to go home, it is dark.

Don't get me wrong, Maine is a wonderful, beautiful state, but it is a rugged place to live if you've never lived in that climate.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:17 AM

131 posts, read 492,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-reeder View Post
I hate to sound negative...BUT I voted "I live in Atlanta - I wouldn't move here". Basically for all the reasons already listed; I thought I was the only one waking up saying, "ugh, I'm HERE".
The vibe in Atlanta is not easily described.
As I am like minded...please explain the "vibe."

Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 AM

131 posts, read 492,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiami View Post
some people here are so funny.
yeah they have it all in Atlanta, house job, etc... they moved here from other state and now they are giving opinion oh i would never move here.
if u do not like it guys, move out.
but just wonders me always how much you appreciate things in life. no wonder you want to move. people who complain never have luck in life.
unthankfullness is a blessing blocker
I see your point, I do and I agree that everything in life is about attitude. However, this site is useful to those of us that need to vent a little too. I, as probobly others, would leave this state in the time it would take to pack my cars but there are other contributors that are keeping us here.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser View Post
I see your point, I do and I agree that everything in life is about attitude. However, this site is useful to those of us that need to vent a little too. I, as probobly others, would leave this state in the time it would take to pack my cars but there are other contributors that are keeping us here.
What's keeping you here? In MA, the survey showed most people who stay are staying because of family ties. Jobs are generally a non-factor because economic growth in MA isn't that great -- it's much better in the Southern cities. It's always easier to find a job in Atlanta or Dallas.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser View Post
As I am like minded...please explain the "vibe."

Vibe can't be explained. Vibe for one person is meaningless to everyone else. Vibe has to do with what is going on within your own head. What I think is paradise, someone else is sure to think is hell because of some vibes they're picking up.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,857 times
It's HARD to just pick up and move. Okay, it's been hard for me to do so and I am a 23-year-old college grad with no kids, and it's still difficult to just up and move away. But trust me, LOVEMIAMI, if I could, I would have been out of this town many months ago. Sometimes in life things don't work out exactly the way people want...

The vibe? Maybe there's a lack of VIBE. I see this town as a mixture of too businessy, and way too wrapped up in materialism. People here try SO hard to act like they're living a rich lifestyle in a world-class city, it's just not so. I laugh at the fact that people would actually come here on vacation if they don't have family here.

What exactly is the lure of this city? The museums are just... a joke compared to other towns. The restaurants as well. Music? No... Culture? Uh... no again. No beach. Horrific public transportation for a "world class" city.

I could go on about the vibe or non-vibe, but it's been discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: