Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to Atlanta today knowing what you know about it?
I live in Atlanta - Id still move here 9 12.33%
I live in Atlanta - I wouldnt move here 30 41.10%
I live in Atlanta - Not sure 3 4.11%
I do not live in Atlanta- Id still move here 18 24.66%
I do not live in Atlanta- I wouldnt move here 6 8.22%
I do not live in Atlanta - Not sure 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:45 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times

Advertisements

would you still move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
As for a future family relocating here due to my husbands job, could the people who........

live here tell me why they voted that they wouldn't move here.

Besides traffic reasons that we have heard about, what would be your other reasons for not moving here.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I voted "I live in Atlanta - Would not move here".

When you live in a city like Atlanta, in which the cost of living is lower than other major cities, the opportunity to move to more desirable cities while maintaining a comparable standard of living is diminished. It would be a lot easier to move from Chicago to Seattle, or Manhattan to San Francisco, or Boston to DC, than it would be to move from Atlanta to any of those places.

If I was living comfortably in a more expensive city and I wanted to move, Atlanta would not be on my list. If you're already making a decent living somewhere else, it doesn't make sense to come here just because it's cheaper.

Having said that, I don't plan to move. (Unless I win the lottery. In that case, I'd calling moving companies and heading to Vancouver.)

Old 08-14-2007, 08:21 AM

131 posts, read 492,763 times
I voted "I live in Atalanta - I wouldnt move here." For the first 8 months I would wake up thinking moving out here was a bad dream..only to realize, no, it was reality. After 14 months, I no longer hate it here but definitly regret moving. Also, it is not so much as Atlanta is bad, rather, it is that Denver is MUCH better.

I miss the cold, the wide open spaces, relaxed atmosphere and people and of course, the rockies.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
I also voted - "Live in Atlanta - Wouldn't move here." I moved to Atlanta in 2005 for Georgia Tech, but that is it. I wasn't thrilled about it, but circumstances led me here. I won't say that I am completely unhappy with Atlanta, but it is not what I thought it was going to be, and the lifestyle just isn't the one I would like to lead. I look forward to moving away when I am done with school here.

I don't say this as a way to degrading the city necessarily, but it's just not what I like and what I am used to.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
Everyone has their own perceptions of the lifestyle they want to live. Although AtlantaCruiser's desires are the opposite of mine (he/she misses the cold and the mountains, I desperately miss the beach, the very warm "winters"), I still can echo exactly his/her feelings.

I sometimes wake up here and say... okay just a little while longer before I'm out of here. It's really tough to move - job-wise, getting started, etc.

I've said it plenty of times here, but it all depends on where you're coming from.

The main problems I see with the city itself (beyond the fact that I miss my friends, family, and the beach, etc) is that it's so spread out and difficult to navigate through. You'd think after nearly a year of being here I could finally figure it out, but no. If you ask me where things are in East Atlanta - I could not even begin to tell you. If you ask anything about downtown, I have NO clue. It's so frustrating when you're driving in a lane and all the sudden (without forewarning) the lane becomes a turning lane and you're forced to make a turn that you didn't want to. Then you have to fight the rude ass drivers to either get over, or make the forced turn and then backtrack.

The traffic of course, is bad, the schools... not so hot really, unless you have the money to go private. The people - rather snotty - ESPECIALLY the people who grew up here, went to college, and then returned. The so-called "good" restaurants are just mediocre and pricey.

There are trees though... I guess that's nice.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
Moved away from Atlanta and I'm from Atlanta.

Will I go back one day? Probably if only because my family lives there but it's not the same city I grew up in.
Too much traffic, too much keeping up with the Joneses, too much rush rush...and no character, oh and bad urban planning.

But then again I live in New Orleans, most people wouldn't live here, but I love it.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,865 times
[quote=Vampgrrl;1278016]but it's not the same city I grew up in.QUOTE]

Exactly!

Where i grew up it was kinda rural, now its kinda a strip mall.

The city just needs to divert the hootch down the connector...instint character with a waterfront!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I voted "I live in Atlanta - I wouldnt move here" because of my own personal experiences. Atlanta doesn't have some of the things places like Seattle or Vancouver. The summers in Atlanta are horrible, especially if you don't have a car. I don't have a car, so I can go to work dripping with sweat in the summer(which is why I have grown to hate summer). While many cities have sprawl, Atlanta seems to be the poster-child for it as well as the posterchild for what a city should never be. The rule is :If you live outside of the Perimeter, no MARTA.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The summers in Atlanta are horrible.
Spring is ruined by horrible pollen and allergies. Many folks have bad allergy problems in the Fall as well. It's getting to the point where Winter is the only season in Atlanta that is bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: