Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,988,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Re-entering security will defeat many of the goals of why the new terminal is being built. I do know there will be a Ground Transportation so I will assume off-site parking won't be an issue. The ATL Skytrain was planned after the terminal so hopefully that was taken into consideration although it may not be phase I. Worse case scenario I suspect they will have shuttles from one terminal to the other which I have seen at other airports.

Actually, when I think this through. You won't be allowed to re-enter security. A used boarding pass will never get you through.
I was assuming they'll still have the current system in place, where you can go through customs, recheck your bags, and get on the people mover to get back to the main terminal. Or, you can opt to walk straight out of the international terminal without checking your bags.

Not understanding how this won't help locals. If you're having someone pick you up at the airport, it will probably save you half an hour. It's not great for people taking MARTA, to be sure.

The biggest issue as I see it is that international connecting passengers still have to go through US customs. If you're a European flying to a second-tier city in Latin America (such as Managua, Panama City, Lima, etc), you'll probably connect through Atlanta or Miami and you'll have to go through US customs; lots of people need transit visas just for a layover in our airport. But this problem is common to all US airports as it's a federal regulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I was assuming they'll still have the current system in place, where you can go through customs, recheck your bags, and get on the people mover to get back to the main terminal. Or, you can opt to walk straight out of the international terminal without checking your bags.
This is just a guess, but I can't imagine they would let you recheck your bag just to get to the other terminal. That would not be cost effective to have bagagge handling at both ends.

At the same time, for passangers that are traveling on to another city in the US, they will need the option to recheck their bags.

Taking that into consideration, you will need to claim your bags before exiting security which gives you the option to take the train to MARTA or the Skytrain at the other terminal. If you have alot of luggage that would be a pain.

I watched the virtual tour but it was not obvious. International arrivals starts at 2:50 min. There is no train in the video.

Virtual Tour of Atlanta's New International Terminal - YouTube

Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
For fans of aviation history in Atlanta, check out the Candler Field Museum.

Candler Field Museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta