Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:05 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcabber View Post
IMO, while I dont like it here in general...I do find Vinings a nice place....if you can afford it which I cannot. You know, if you are nervous the best policy is to rent somewhere cheaper (like in the $1000 range like a Gables property) just until you get to know the area. That way you arent stuck in a commitment with a house or condo.
I agree w/renting too. You don't have to rent in the exact development you are looking to buy in -- just a generic apartment complex nearby would suffice. Even though I lived in Atlanta for 7 years, I still wouldn't buy a place right away if I planned to move back. Luckily we have family there so we'll have rent-free living temporarily if/when we decide to move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
I lived in Vinings for 9 months when I first moved here. West Village is one of those brand new mixed commercial/residential properties, no? If so, it's the one right off Atlanta Road... about 4 minutes North on Atlanta Road there's another HUGE mixed property place with shops and restaurants (SouthCity Kitchen).

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but anything south of that on Atlanta Road is... sketchy. I'm a young female and I would NOT be alone on that side of Atlanta Road at night. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's right off 285... lots of trucks refuel around there (there's a big gas station there, maybe it's a Pilot or Quiktrip). A little further south when you hit Bolton Road is very industrial looking and run down.

However, a little north, on Cumberland Parkway headed towards Paces Ferry, there are many apartments and condos. They're really nice too, all pretty new. You just got to see for yourself I guess.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 23,790 times
Hey deathacabber why don't you like it in ATL?
Just curious...what's you age? line of work? where did you live before ATL?

Is Vinings a cool area to live?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
There is Vinings and then there's the "REAL" Vinings. Real Vinings is very cute, but very small. I mean how many times can you walk around and eat at the same places? Paces Ferry cuts through the "real" Vinings... but so does a TRAIN, which backs up traffic a LOT and it seems like it takes the stupid train 20 minutes to pass. From Cumberland Parkway I heard the train faintly, not bothersome at all.

ang999999 - for what it's worth, I'm 24 (in a few days), female, have a Master's degree in journalism/communications/advertising. I'm from Florida originally and do not like Atlanta for many reasons, all of which can be seen by looking at my previous posts

Old 08-16-2007, 08:59 AM

61 posts, read 245,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang99999 View Post
Hey deathacabber why don't you like it in ATL?
Just curious...what's you age? line of work? where did you live before ATL?

Is Vinings a cool area to live?
Hi there! Im a 26 yr old female, married no kids. Work in property management...which you said you will work on Interstate North Parkway...I help manage most of those buildings
Anyways, lived here for about 20 ish years. I lived in Chicago as a child as well as Topeka, KS in highschool. First off I dont like the climate...but some do so thats no biggie. Second, in the past 10 years I have watched this place become very overcrowded. The traffic here is almost too bad to comprehend. I live about 15 miles from work and it can take between 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 mins to get here each day. People talk about the violence here...and while I have not had a personal experience with it I know it is rampant in some areas of the city. If you are a single woman I would be careful where you choose to live...especially in the Smyrna area.

See the tricky thing with moving here is that the good and bad areas overlap so frequently that its hard to know what is ok and whats not. I think that if I were you I would try to rent right in Vinings or close by until you know the good and bad areas better. Honestly, if you come for a visit just take a drive and you can see what areas look desirable and which dont!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM

67 posts, read 237,009 times
I lived in Vinings for years & LOVED it! Its great for singles or young couples that like to go out. It is a very nice area & if you work around Galleria area or Circle 75 its a dream commute. I currently live in up in Marietta because we now have kids. It has changed so much up here. Perhaps because I am so close to Acworth. What used to be a nice area has been run downhill somewhat. I know there are a lot of areas in East Cobb that are still nice. I guess I just feel like our particular area is losing what we moved up here for & I am probably a little slanted in my viewpoint because I am from the country (NE TN) originally & would love to be away from this mess now. I agree that you are going to hear negatives & positives about every area. Just make sure you have a really good realtor or someone who knows the area well before you commit to one area & take into consideration how it changed & will be changing if you can get that information as well. They have plowed down a lot of the trees around us & are putting up mini-malls everywhere....yuck.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
I currently live in "true" Vinings (Essex House Condos off of Paces Mill Rd). I love it a lot. Such a great location and lots to do and see. The commute to Midtown simply can't be beat (straight shot down I-75), and with tons of shopping and restaurants, I always have something to do.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I currently live in "true" Vinings (Essex House Condos off of Paces Mill Rd). I love it a lot. Such a great location and lots to do and see. The commute to Midtown simply can't be beat (straight shot down I-75), and with tons of shopping and restaurants, I always have something to do.
I sent you a private msg. wxjay - I used to live at Essex House before they went condo, and overall liked it a lot along with that area. Back then (we're talking 13-14 years ago) Vinings was just that - Vinings. That small area, and the "village" up the hill, and that was it. Today you see subdivisions named "Vinings XXX" up to 6 MILES away from Vinings village. BAH!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 PM

11 posts, read 52,963 times
I'm from NJ, I stayed in Lawrenceville, GA for 3 years and I couldn't get back fast enough. I would seriously consider it. Most things you can get used to but the people are very different. Not as open or friendly. If you are successful, everyone will be coming to you for handouts. If you have family/close friends that you'll be leaving, don't go. That's all I can say.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:52 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times
Default Don't worry

There is a reason why over half of the state's population is concentrated in metro Atlanta. When all is said and done.. metro Atlanta is the Georgia's economic engine.. no other place in the state comes close to offering the opportunities found in metro Atlanta. The trashing of metro Atlanta usually comes from those disguntled people in other parts of the state jealous of metro Atlanta's success. In Atlanta you will find a world-class restaurant scene.. premier shopping... major league sports... a vibrant night life (great singles scene).. a vibrant job market.. (Metro Atlanta is routinely ranked as one of the top places in the US to start a small business). But as with any large metro area.. comes headaches and hassles.. like traffic.. but I would take that anyday of being stuck in Podunk Georgia where there are no decent high paying jobs.. little cultural activities.. fine dining consists of Waffle House and shopping revolves around Wal-Mart. As a friend of mine once said.. "If it weren't for metro Atlanta.. Georgia would just be another Alabama or Mississippi."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta