Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times

Advertisements

According to the AJC, the Board of Regents is looking at a possible consolidation of colleges and universities to achieve savings like the Techical Colleges did earlier.

Chancellor: University System will study merging colleges *| ajc.com

Past suggestions have been Armstrong Atlantic and Savannah State in Savannah, and Darton College and Albany State in Albany. But a big political stumbling block is Savannah State and Albany State are HBCUs and want to protect their identities.

Assuming that this idea is based on proximity, it looks like Atlanta is ripe for consolidations.

Georgia Tech
Georgia State
Kennesaw State
Georgia Perimeter
Atlanta Metropolitan
Southern Polytechnic
Clayton State
Georgia Gwinnett

The most attractive target for a merger is probably Southern Poly what with its engineering/engineering technology programs and facilities. The most obvious school to take over SPSU is Georgia Tech as SPSU used to be part of GT and its programs already resembles GT's. But that's were the similarities end. GT's SATs are close to 1400 while SPSU's are around 1130 and GT is a reseach powerhouse while SPSU doesn't do much research to speak about. It wouldn't be a seamless integration of the student bodies and faculty.

The next two possible suitors for SPSU are Georgia State and Kennesaw State. Both GSU's and KSU's SATs are below SPSU's but not by much. GSU's would technically be closer. But SPSU and KSU are both in Cobb, separted by I-75, and about 10 miles apart while GSU is also on I-75 but about 18 miles away. GSU is not the research school GT is but they still do a lot while KSU does very little. So in terms of research, SPSU resembles KSU more. So if SPSU wants to be roughly where they are now, merge with KSU. If it wants research, then merge with GSU.

Clayton State's best merger partner would probably be GSU, but with SATs under 1000, that's low as GSU's is 100 points higher. So, does GSU take a slight SAT hit or do we keep Clayton State for the students not quite good enough for GSU?

Atlanta Metropolitan and Georgia Perimeter have similar missions so they could merge.

As a dark horse, Georgia Gwinnett could merge with UGA. UGA definitely wants more of an Atlanta presence.

Or the BOR could make a mega-school out of GSU, KSU, SPSU, and Clayton State. That would be around 70,000 students. No problem funding a GSU football program with all those athletic fees.

But ultimately, are consolidations a good idea to do in the first place? Or will politics at this level shoot any proposal down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
The USG utilizes a classification system. I think most consolidations will be intra-classification, with the only inter-classification consolodations occurring between state colleges and state universities.

My proposal is to consolodate the following schools:
1.) AASU + SSU = Savannah Armstong State U.
2.) Darton + Albany = Albany Darton State U.
3a.) Kennesaw + GA Gwinnett = Kennesaw Gwinnett State U. (a Kennesaw campus and a Gwinnett campus)
or
3b.) Kennesaw + SPSU = Kennesaw State & Polytechnic U. (consolidate campus at KSU)
4.) GPC + Atl. Metro. College = GPC, Atlanta Campus

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The USG utilizes a classification system. I think most consolidations will be intra-classification, with the only inter-classification consolodations occurring between state colleges and state universities.

My proposal is to consolodate the following schools:
1.) AASU + SSU = Savannah Armstong State U.
2.) Darton + Albany = Albany Darton State U.
I just don't see any HBCUs merging. They should merge to make one University of Savannah and one Albany State U but not likely to happen without a political fight.

Quote:
3a.) Kennesaw + GA Gwinnett = Kennesaw Gwinnett State U. (a Kennesaw campus and a Gwinnett campus)
Possible,but I'd guess UGA might still try.
Quote:
or
3b.) Kennesaw + SPSU = Kennesaw State & Polytechnic U. (consolidate campus at KSU)
Very possible but KSU doesn't have the space or facilities to support engineering. Besides, the state of Georgia has invested so much in buildings already at SPSU. They could merge but move KSU's sciences, math, and computer science to the SPSU campus and put in a shuttle. SPSU would be the satellite campus.
Quote:
4.) GPC + Atl. Metro. College = GPC, Atlanta Campus
I agree with that.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Channel 5 has more along with a video report.

Huckaby: University System to Study Consolidation (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Huckaby%3A-University-System-to-Study-Consolidation-20110914-ap-sd - broken link)

Sounds like this might take a while. It might not amount to anything because 20 years ago the BOR considered something similar by creating a Regional University system but they eventually dropped the plan with no explanation. That's why we have Georgia Southern and Valdosta State listed as Regional Universities for no apparent reason. I'm guessing the political pressure from around the state became too much for the BOR.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM

66 posts, read 182,874 times
UGA Poly { UGA Engineering Campus}...I've been thinking about this idea since NYU acquired Polytechnic Institute of NY.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I'd like to see Georgia Tech become the engineering division of UGA. Tech could keep its own football program but it makes sense to bring them under the umbrella of the primary state university. Just my opinion but it seems to me that in recent years Tech has been getting a little big for its britches.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSavage View Post
UGA Poly { UGA Engineering Campus}...I've been thinking about this idea since NYU acquired Polytechnic Institute of NY.
You mean, UGA acquires Southern Poly? I think UGA wants their engineering school in Athens. However, it is a similar but less of a problem than for Georgia Tech. UGA's freshman SATs are 100 points higher than SPSU's and likewise, UGA faculty do research whereas SPSU faculty just teach.

Merging Kennesaw State and SPSU probably makes the most sense in terms of distance, commute, mission, and academics.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd like to see Georgia Tech become the engineering division of UGA. Tech could keep its own football program but it makes sense to bring them under the umbrella of the primary state university. Just my opinion but it seems to me that in recent years Tech has been getting a little big for its britches.

Oh...you...will...die...for...that!

Besides, one of UGA's colleges playing the rest of the university?

Georgia State used to be the Atlanta Division of the University of Georgia. And before that they were the Georgia Tech Evening School of Commerce. But GSU can't really come under either school now as their SATs are way behind UGA's and GT's. GSU separted from UGA back in the 1950s because GSU wanted to add more programs and UGA wanted them to be just their feeder school.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmanmathman View Post
oh...you...will...die...for...that!

Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM

66 posts, read 182,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
You mean, UGA acquires Southern Poly? I think UGA wants their engineering school in Athens. However, it is a similar but less of a problem than for Georgia Tech. UGA's freshman SATs are 100 points higher than SPSU's and likewise, UGA faculty do research whereas SPSU faculty just teach.

Merging Kennesaw State and SPSU probably makes the most sense in terms of distance, commute, mission, and academics.
Yes UGA acquire Southern Poly. I don't know all the details of the NYU/Polytechnic of NY merger, but I believe NYU had a higher incoming freshman SAT rate by a significant amount.

It would also allow UGA to have a metro presence while getting the engineering programs they desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta