Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times

Advertisements

Come with a job, trust fund, or family who will let you live with them for a very long time. Of course, that would be my advice for moving anywhere in this current economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,391 times
Default Hi Mark, we just moved from Buffalo as well and love it here.

Where did you get your degree? What schooling do you have? Would you want to be a customer service rep? My husband has positions available that would be a foot in the door type position. Not sure on the pay. Let me know.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,967 times
Hi I am currently contemplating moving to the Atlanta area...I have a Master's degree in Business and several years managerial experience...how feasible is finding a job there?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
It all depends on your experience. Is it specific? Is it in demand?

Right in the actual city of Atlanta you've got Emory, Georgia State, and Georgia Tech churning out hundreds of MBAs every year. And I'm not even talking about UGA and whoever else has a program (I think there's one at Kennesaw State, maybe one at Georiga Perimeter, etc.) in the metro area.

If you don't know somebody or have specific skills, I'd say the competition is tight.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Put a local address and Phone number on your resume

THe job market is improving greatly here but I still would not move anywhere without a job first

Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 PM

276 posts, read 431,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMKMART View Post
Hi I am currently contemplating moving to the Atlanta area...I have a Master's degree in Business and several years managerial experience...how feasible is finding a job there?
I have a MBA from Emory and am currently looking in ATL due to a lay off. I have 14+ years of operations/general management experience and it is a very tough market IMO. Most of the conversations I've had with hiring managers have come from my ATL network (former employer and Emory). If you have a top 20 MBA, you might have better success, but it really depends on who you know here (like many places).

Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 AM

403 posts, read 619,930 times
Why would want to move to a new city with no job and established network? As someone who hires senior level people I wouldn't care what MBA you have unless you had a really solid reason for picking the city. If you have a differentiated skill set that should be apparent on your CV and then even in this market many employers will relo you in... To just move and hope for the best shows an impulsiveness that is not a great quality for most executive roles.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM

101 posts, read 307,086 times
I say make sure you have a job before you move. The job economy sucks big time. Like someone said I know people including me who's been looking for a job for 2-3 years and have gotten nothing. I came with a job but the job is part time and dead end now but I've been looking for a while so come with a job or it may be a while before you get something. I would recommend Texas. The job economy is so much better. I'll be heading that way myself.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 PM

486 posts, read 982,378 times
IMO.... The problem is not that Atlanta doesn't have jobs... There are tons of jobs here. The problem is Atlanta is over populated and many people are still trying to move here all competing for the same jobs.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:06 PM

486 posts, read 982,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Put a local address and Phone number on your resume

THe job market is improving greatly here but I still would not move anywhere without a job first

Totally agree! You will never get a job being an out of towner, there are so many people here going for the same job. Companies don't have to relocate people. Unless, the position is executive level...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta