Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times

Advertisements

I would lean towards Alpharetta east of 400 and Johns Creek given what you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM

11 posts, read 29,729 times
Berkeleylake,

yes, we have decided the area of alpharetta and Johns Creek, especailly after checking the high acceptance of Northview by GA Tech and UGA.

*** % students enrolled to both GA Tech and UGA
1. Northview High School (Fulton): 23.7% (60+89)
2. Chattahoochee High School (Fulton): 20.8% (36+80)
3. Walton High School (Cobb): 16.7% (36+68)
4. South Forsyth High School (Forsyth): 15.8% (29+64)
5. Wheeler High School (Cobb): 15.6% (35+38)
6. Alpharetta High School (Fulton): 15.5% (22+59)

Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 PM

8 posts, read 18,682 times
Can anyone confirm if the North Fulton re-districting for Northview/Chattahoochee/John's Creek is finalized? Is the feeder map that I have linked to below going to stay the same for the 2012-13 school year?

http://portal.fultonschools.org/depa...feeder1112.pdf

Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Does anybody know the percentage of Chinese students in Northview, Chattahoochee and Johns creek high? It looks there are more Koreans than Chinese in Johns Creek area, right?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,173 times
Wesleyan is a great school. I know a couple of people with young children who wish they could afford the tuition. They are big on technology and the people I know who have been there are impressed. I don't have children, so I don't know anything about the local public schools, but I have heard wonderful things about Wesleyan. From what I've heard, I would consider it if I had kids and could afford private school tuition.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 18,432 times
Johnnylzy:

I didn't read all the replies to this thread, but I thought I would give you some insight. Sorry if this is not helpful.

I graduated Walton High School in East Cobb two years ago. In my class two of my friends went to Harvard, an acquaintance goes to The Wharton School of UPENN, at least 75 go to UGA, I can name 15 that go to GA Tech (though there are more), and the rest go to USC, UA, UF, FSU, etc.. I also know many people from other classes that go to other prestigious schools as well.
An Emory University admissions representative once told us that applicants from Walton automatically get .5 points added to their GPA because it equals out the playing field. Say a student at another school has a 4.0, that would be a 3.5 at Walton. It may only apply at Emory, but that's what I was told.
It's very easy to get involved at Walton. Our sports programs and music programs are top-notch and are well-known. A very well-rounded school.
My experience: Walton is a rigorous school with a lot of opportunity. All of my teachers have been very helpful and have challenged me more than I've been in college so far. The students here are very competitive and there is a ton of parent involvement. I've had my ups and downs there, but I have never looked back and wished that I went to a different school or even looked at it as a joke. In fact, my school (UGA) is a joke compared to Walton.

As for East Cobb, It's a nice area. You would be able to afford some nice homes here and the taxes are lower. The only negative things I have to say about East Cobb is that there's traffic and that some people here live up to their "east cobb snob" reputation. Also be aware that because EC is a wealthy area with 'rich kids', there is a fair amount of drug use. I've known many drug users, but none have ever peer pressured me into doing them. Those people, ironically, had some of the best SAT scores and GPA's .

Anyways, that's my experience, but the other schools mentioned are very nice as well, and you would be well-off regardless. If it were me, I would choose Milton. I mean have you seen how gorgeous that school is?!
Good luck!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 AM

Thanks Shotofrhythm,

Does it mean Walton has more graduates went to Ivy colleges than Northview and Chattahoochees? I saw the data that Northview, Chatahoochee and Walton are the top three whose students accepted by UGA and GA tech, and the ratio of northview (23.7%) is much more than walton (16.7%), but I never saw a word about the Ivy college acceptance status of Northview and Chattahoochee? Is it because Walton has better reputation in north colleges than Northview and Chattahochee? Because they are new?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
High schools have a form that they fill out with all of their statistics that college admissions people look at with the applications. There are high schools in every area that are automatically known as being top notch. Georgia schools have an advantage over top schools in the northeast because they get fewer applicants to the "top" colleges and colleges want a geographic mix.
That said, the best college is the one that is the best for your student and shouldn't be based on rankings.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,665 times
I know I'm late to this party, but can't resist the urge to say it once again -- high schools don't get admitted to universities, students do. There are certainly differences between different schools, and certain types of programs or activities may be more successful at one school than another, but a student who's a legitimate candidate to get into Harvard or Princeton or Stanford at one high school is still going to be a legitimate candidate to do so at another, and likewise if you don't have it, changing districts isn't going to automagically change your college prospects.

Family socio-economic status, family emphasis on education, and individual student academic aptitude and motivation have much more to do with how the individual student fares than anything the schools do or don't do. Certain schools "succeed" at higher rates than others mainly because the population self-selects for those factors -- i.e., Walton or Johns Creek or Chattahoochee or Milton are good schools because good students with good families go there; those schools don't "produce" good students, any more than a low-lying area "produces" lakes -- you have an attraction basin, nothing more.

There are plenty of reasons to pick one district over another or private schools over public -- demographics, special programs, religious beliefs, etc. -- but no high school, public or private, is going to make more than the most marginal difference in where an individual student is accepted to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta