Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 AM

714 posts, read 814,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Personally, I'd like to think I'd go buy some hobos a meal. Given where I live, finding a $10 bill is highly unlikely given the frequency in which hobos comb the area down to the garbage cans(around all the dog poop) for leftovers.

What if the $10 bill was behind a plate glass window in a storefront that looked like it was closed and locked up? What's a reasonable amount of time to wait before smashing the glass to take it? If it's anything less than never, your parents didn't teach you right. What happens if you go to work and lock up your house? It's abandoned b/c you're not there...the guy kicking in the door is simply reallocating your unused assets. Thieves are just value investors. They pay nothing for your property and sell at a profit. If you don't come in to claim them immediately w/ a shotgun blast to the dude's face then you've relinquished your ownership right?

These houses didn't fall out of somebody's pocket. Ownership is clear. These idiots aren't picking derelict farm houses that have sat empty for decades. If the homeowner walked w/o handing over the keys to the bank, then they're in the wrong but the bank still has rights to the building even if they haven't started the foreclosure b/c that was in the mortgage doc the owner signed. If the bank evicted the homeowner, then the bank has made their ownership clear. At no point does it fall into limbo for someone to take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes unlike Sarah,I read.I write.I travel.I listen.I observe before I speak.
HAhA.!!Im so glad you know Im not a Sarah Palin fan unlike you.I need all I need to know about you now.

This is the thing.I dont recall saying there was a place better.If you continue to argue like a first grader ,then I will treat you like one.The very fact that we can vehemently disagree by openly stating our disapproval of such laws should make it evident that although the USA is far from perfect.To quote (or paraphrase) and old Grace Jones song that sums it up :Im not perfect,but its perfect for me.
The nerve.Typical that when you have no other argument worth anything ,so you act like you are the only patriot in the room.Typical and just ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlface View Post
If you found $10 on the ground in a parking lot and no one nearby what would you do?
So true Mishap. Some Jamokes just want to believe there is free money lying on the sidewalk. There aint. Corporate and contract law has been developed over hundreds of years. Its not like there is some magic point where all of sudden a property is free to the baddest MF-er who comes along. That *&it only works in lawless &*itholes like Somalia and Zimbabwe.

Sure, agfonga, no doubt you are smarter and more worldly than Sarah Palin In fact Im sure your intelligence and worldliness exceeds that of those all "ignorants" (like me) who dont agree with you on just about anything and everything! Sure....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,597 times
Default wow!!

is this really true? wow!! so many ppl is going to try this!!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlface View Post
If you found $10 on the ground in a parking lot and no one nearby what would you do?
What if you found $350,000 (akin to the value of these homes) in a parking lot? What would you do? I mean, somebody "abandoned" it, so its free for the finder, right?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
So true Mishap. Some Jamokes just want to believe there is free money lying on the sidewalk. There aint. Corporate and contract law has been developed over hundreds of years. Its not like there is some magic point where all of sudden a property is free to the baddest MF-er who comes along. That *&it only works in lawless &*itholes like Somalia and Zimbabwe.

Sure, agfonga, no doubt you are smarter and more worldly than Sarah Palin In fact Im sure your intelligence and worldliness exceeds that of those all "ignorants" (like me) who dont agree with you on just about anything and everything! Sure....LOL
Actually it was not I who jumped on you because of your views.I never disagreed with you that I felt the practice was disgraceful.I stated SEVERAL times how I felt and several times YOU kept putting words in my mouth.

Our differences came mainly when discussing the severity of punishment and the notion that this entitled behavior is not uncommon but also more inter twined in the fabric of all levels of American culture than you wanted to acknowledge.
So YES my intelligence and worldliness while is vivid and abundant ,I will say the famous quote:"I'm intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything".

Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 PM

121 posts, read 520,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

its already happening across the country..

here is another guy doing it in TX

Buying A House For 16 Dollars - YouTube

UPDATE:

They will be cracking down on this type of thing now, read below.

Man who claimed Dallas home for $16 told to leave - Yahoo! News

Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
I dont see why,IF THE OWNER DOESNT MIND THE GUY THERE,whats the big deal??

Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I dont see why,IF THE OWNER DOESNT MIND THE GUY THERE,whats the big deal??
Several reasons:

The new lien holder, whoever that is, does mind. Their goal is to sell the house so they can apply the proceeds toward whatever outstanding debt is owed from the prior owner
The neighbors hate squatter filth, with whom they have NOTHING in common
Wear and tear on the house from illegal squatters reduces value
When society permits seizure of assets by those with no legal or moral right to said assets, it debases the entire community.
Imagine if someone "abandons" their car at the airport for a few weeks while on vacation. Squatters have rights to it?

Aint nothin in this world free. Even freedom isnt free.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
freedom isnt free.
No your right there bud!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Several reasons:

The new lien holder, whoever that is, does mind. Their goal is to sell the house so they can apply the proceeds toward whatever outstanding debt is owed from the prior owner
The neighbors hate squatter filth, with whom they have NOTHING in common
Wear and tear on the house from illegal squatters reduces value
When society permits seizure of assets by those with no legal or moral right to said assets, it debases the entire community.
Imagine if someone "abandons" their car at the airport for a few weeks while on vacation. Squatters have rights to it?

Aint nothin in this world free. Even freedom isnt free.
Thats your assumption.As in this case the houses were well maintained as anyone elses in the neighborhood.
The value of the house goes down because longer it sits,it looses value.
Personally I would rather the house being taken care of and mind my own business if it were in my neighborhood.Most people dont even know there neighbors.

In facts I have seen where the "new lien-holder/banks,have lowered the price so dramatically lower than the average price in the neighborhood that the people who bought it are used to living in a lower class environment.They leave toys on the front lawn,park cars on the llawn,Cook out with friends on the front lawn etc...
Squatters keep a low profile usually because they know they are not suppose to be there.

I have said it before.I have no problem with people IF they have lost a home or near homeless but work,let them live in a empty house especially in a neighborhood with many.If you were in the real estate market like I am,youd see empty properties in total disarray from all the looting,drug dealing,prostitution,and anything else you can think of being done in these homes of various price points.

You just seem to have a problem because someone else is "getting over".I know its a crime and given that im a law abiding citizen it should be dealt with accordingly.However with all the worse crimes to commit that has some some legality loop hole,this is frivolous.ITS NOT A CRIME unless SOMEONE reports it as such.Thats it.Period.If the banks really want them out,they have 7 years.
Mr.Walker got what he deserved.He stirred up the hornets nest by bragging and getting innocent clueless people to do it with him.He could have lived quietly if he wanted to,but chose not to.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 PM

91 posts, read 152,499 times
Flower Mound squatter ordered to vacate foreclosed home; he says he’s ‘done with it’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta