Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:07 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

There are millions of folks who'd love to be down here in the land of milk and honey but they are afraid to risk moving right now. In uncertain times people tend to hunker down, thinking they need to hang on to what little they have.

In general, you see more people moving when (a) the economy is good and they can relocate by choice or (b) things so terrible that they go somewhere else out of desperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I heard that Texas is experiencing a horrific drought killing off its vegetation like trees. I wonder if they can sustain its growth. Funny that they need those periodic hurricanes like India needs monsoons.

Texas drought kills as many as half a billion trees | Reuters
The areas where the bulk of population growth is occurring isn't suffering that badly from the drought.

The drought got trees, grass and as a result grazing animals were affected. As for the human population, these were only affected in the dry western areas. Most people live in the eastern half and the water levels there were not that bad.

appreciate your concern tho, but you need not worry.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Lol at the tx people in our threads. Our little sister state loves Ga

Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
heh...neck and neck with North Carolina for the time being (although I see them passing us by next census)
Throughout history NC's population was bigger than Georgia's. Only in 2000 did Georgia surpass NC. According to the 2010 Census the gap between the two states has been narrowed to currently about 150,000 residents.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The areas where the bulk of population growth is occurring isn't suffering that badly from the drought.

The drought got trees, grass and as a result grazing animals were affected. As for the human population, these were only affected in the dry western areas. Most people live in the eastern half and the water levels there were not that bad.

Illegal Mexicans don't count

Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Illegal Mexicans don't count
count for what? don't know what is the relation

Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Good to know. I have friend who wants me to move to Houston but I don't know if I could cope. Texas is a very different place to what I'm used to.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Throughout history NC's population was bigger than Georgia's. Only in 2000 did Georgia surpass NC. According to the 2010 Census the gap between the two states has been narrowed to currently about 150,000 residents.
My perception of NC is that they are more united as a state than Georgia. Charlotte is the dominating city but the influence seems to be spread out more in large part due to the Research Triangle concept. Research Triangle seems to loom large in their vernacular. Atlanta is like a different place than the rest of Georgia. Atlanta and Georgia are like two different concepts whereas people there seem to see themselves as North Carolinians and they even seem to have a kinship with South Carolina as they also like to talk about The Carolinas.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Good to know. I have friend who wants me to move to Houston but I don't know if I could cope. Texas is a very different place to what I'm used to.
It might be depending on what part of the state you move to

Old 12-27-2011, 04:00 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
I say that it will be a minimum of 5 1/2 more years until metro Atlanta returns to a semi-respectable economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: