Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
count for what? don't know what is the relation
I think that what he is saying is that most of Houston's population growth is driven by illegal aliens, or children of illegal aliens who keep on having kids. You can pretty much come to that conclusion when you look at population statistics of Texas and the metropolitan areas.

While Georgia has had problems with illegal aliens in the past, it seems that over half of them have left the state since the economic downturn. That's a positive thing for native Georgians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
My perception of NC is that they are more united as a state than Georgia. Charlotte is the dominating city but the influence seems to be spread out more in large part due to the Research Triangle concept. Research Triangle seems to loom large in their vernacular. Atlanta is like a different place than the rest of Georgia. Atlanta and Georgia are like two different concepts whereas people there seem to see themselves as North Carolinians and they even seem to have a kinship with South Carolina as they also like to talk about The Carolinas.
It has to do with name-sake, and the fact that they used to be one territory/colony known as "Carolina". That said, if South Carolina were called Georgia, then they wouldn't claim a connection with that state. On the other hand, if Georgia were known as South Carolina, you'd probably see more connection to "Georgia" by North Carolineans, granted it would be smaller than the real South Carolina because of greater connection (longer border) and because of the metro of Charlotte which straddles South Carolina. That's where much of the connection comes from. The connection is much stronger in the Charlotte area, which they also term "Metrolina" than it is in the Piedmont Triad or the Research Triangle.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I think that what he is saying is that most of Houston's population growth is driven by illegal aliens, or children of illegal aliens who keep on having kids. You can pretty much come to that conclusion when you look at population statistics of Texas and the metropolitan areas.

While Georgia has had problems with illegal aliens in the past, it seems that over half of them have left the state since the economic downturn. That's a positive thing for native Georgians.
I know that, but how is that related to a drought?? I mean, do illegals drink more water of something?? I don't understand the relation. The post he quoted was discussing population growth during the drought, maybe he quoted the wrong post. I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: