Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,813,704 times

Advertisements

Is Midtown the new Buckhead?Seems all the buzz is about whats going on in Midtown.From West Midtown to Atlantic Station and Piedmont Park it seems trendy entertainment, restaurants and retail are popping up everywhere.Our cultural institutions are there,the center of banking is mostly there also.I hear more about hanging out and living in Midtown more than I ever hear about Buckhead.Why is this?Did the streets of Buckhead ruin it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,071,040 times
I think this has been going on for some time. Streets of Buckhead ruined the night life in Buckhead, but Buckhead is just an older demographic.

Midtown tends to have trendier restaurants and places to hang out. Buckhead has an older crowd, so its restaurants trend toward places like Chops and Bluepointe. Nice, yes, but on the conservative side.

I think midtown is trying to develop as the kind of urban center where people can walk to a lot of places and kind of that hip vibe. Buckhead may seem intown now, but it was pretty much developed as a close-in suburb, really. It's kind of walkable, but that wasn't really the goal behind most of its development.

I'm just kind of guessing here. Buckhead has been very nice for a very long time, so you have a lot of people there, especially a lot more older people than midtown. I just think it's more conservative.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 AM

36 posts, read 74,664 times
I don't believe Midtown is the new Buckhead but I do believe that Buckhead out hipped itself and got what it wanted. Buckhead wanted to rid itself of the nightlife, the crowds that were drawn to it and essentially what made Buckhead, Buckhead and now all their left with is skeletons, promises, construction sites, parking lots, and pipe farms. Buckhead is now where I think people from Midtown go after marriage to retire, that is if they can afford to live there.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,027,124 times
Maybe but once buckhead Atlanta is complete buckhead will be back on the map. All those closed businesses across the street will be reopened to once buckhead Atlanta is complete.. Hopefully those apartments in midtown fill up quickly once.they are completed so they can build some.more. don't sleep on downtown either. Once the streetcar and those two museums open I'm sure.more development will follow

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 12-22-2011 at 04:30 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,685,323 times
Buckhead still has plenty of night life, the crowd has just gotten a little older. Midtown has always had plenty of nightlife in the Crescent area. Both places have bars close, open, close, open, etc.

I'd say Buckhead is a more stable 'bar' crowd and Midtown is a more volatile 'club' crowd and has been expanding with more 'bars'

I agree though, Buckhead is a more conservative and you could throw Virginia Highlands in there. When Buckhead turned 'ghetto' everyone flocked to Midtown and Va Highlands with the clubbers going to midtown and the bar patrons going to Va Highlands. Since then, many have returned to Buckhead

Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,428,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Maybe but once buckhead Atlanta is complete buckhead will be back on the map. All those closed businesses across the street will be reopened to once buckhead Atlanta is complete.. Hopefully those apartments in midtown fill up quickly once.they are completed so they can build some.more. don't sleep on downtown either. Once the streetcar and those two museums open I'm sure.more development will follow
Downtown is toast. Maybe the northern edge will come around as it has started to.

Midtown is much cooler than Buckhead these days. I miss Swami at Mike & Angelos.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,715,831 times
Midtown...........I think Midtown is becoming the new downtown............

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM

906 posts, read 1,747,515 times
JMO, but Buckhead comes off as totally soulless to me. Granted, I admit I love driving through and seeing all the highrises and skyscrapers. But I haven't liked a single bar there. The atmosphere is often sort of stiff and/or fratty, and almost always "look at me!"

Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 AM

188 posts, read 297,422 times
In the sense of where people in Atlanta go to "play" (entertainment/arts/dining/bars/etc.), Midtown has certainly replaced Buckhead. The hip places "to be seen" are in Midtown. It isn't far from the truth to say that the only reason Atlantans go to Buckhead is for the malls and for office jobs.

Buckhead, for better or for worse, has developed a "corporate" feel. Some people like that and feel that justifies the expensive home prices there. Some people find it stale and devoid of nightlife. To each his own.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,379,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Downtown is toast. Maybe the northern edge will come around as it has started to.

Midtown is much cooler than Buckhead these days. I miss Swami at Mike & Angelos.
Sorry, but no - Downtown is hardly toast. I'm down here every day, and it's better than it's been in years. Hotels are spending huge amounts of money, new restaurants keep opening, people are moving into the new condos & apartments that have gone up, streetscape improvements are under construction, the streetcar is breaking ground, the two new museums are coming up, etc.

This type of change doesn't happen to "toast."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta