Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:06 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

^^^^ LOL you got that right Stars&Stripes! Unless PeachCity (what an ironic screen name considering this topic huh?) considers golf carts, sushi bars and Anne Taylor Loft "RURAL" !!!

In fact it's probably one of the HIGHER-DENSITY SUBURBS in the Metro! Sure, there's lots of green space and beltways but home lots tend to be very small and homes crammed close together to make up for it. SEE IMAGE BELOW Now, most of the area immiediately around Peachtree City is indeed largely rural -- but the city itself? Uh ... no. There's also a considerable amount of multi-family residential in PTC, including several huge apartment / condo developments, which you won't find anywhere else in Fayette County.

Maybe you are GOOGLE-EARTHING the wrong place? To me, RURAL = cows grazing in fields.

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-14-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:30 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
PTC is the way to go definitely. Or Tyrone, which is closer by far to the expressway. One can get to the airport in light to moderate traffic from Tyrone and the less deeper in parts of PTC within about 25 minutes, with the bulk of the time on 74 not the expwy. The thing about PTC is that parts of it veer deep away from the expwy. For some no biggy, but adding more time traveling down 74 to get to the expressway 12-14 miles or more on hwy 74 v. maybe 5 miles on 74 from parts of Tyrone.

Note: I say hwy 74, but it's not an expwy but a fast moving feeder thoroughfare with limited lights.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM

183 posts, read 196,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^^ LOL you got that right Stars&Stripes! Unless PeachCity (what an ironic screen name considering this topic huh?) considers golf carts, sushi bars and Anne Taylor Loft "RURAL" !!!

In fact it's probably one of the HIGHER-DENSITY SUBURBS in the Metro! Sure, there's lots of green space and beltways but home lots tend to be very small and homes crammed close together to make up for it. SEE IMAGE BELOW Now, most of the area immiediately around Peachtree City is indeed largely rural -- but the city itself? Uh ... no. There's also a considerable amount of multi-family residential in PTC, including several huge apartment / condo developments, which you won't find anywhere else in Fayette County.

Maybe you are GOOGLE-EARTHING the wrong place? To me, RURAL = cows grazing in fields.
Ok, so it's a suburb and not rural. Still not seeing why a young professional would like this area.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:45 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
I guess not by Georgia standards. I said semi-rural anyway.

Maybe google maps isn't showing me the urban areas? What part should I look in?
What is semi-rural about it, in your opinion? It's fairly developed. There are some areas to the south that are semi-rural, but that's not Peachtree City.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyann28 View Post
I looked through previous forums, and don't feel that I obtained enough info.

We are moving to Atlanta in June. My husband will be working at the airport, and we'd love nothing more than a 30-40 minute commute. We are looking to rent for probably the next 1-2 years before buying. We have two daughters aged 2 and 1.

From what I've gathered so far, it is best for us to plan on living in a southern suburb... but there are so many, and I am feeling totally overwhelmed with the prospect of moving to a new (huge) city that I've never been to, nor do I know anyone who is familiar with southern Atlanta (everyone I know who has lived there lived on the north side).

Low crime rates are super important to us, family friendly community and a decent commute. I've looked at Peachtree City, and it sounds lovely, but I wonder if the commute to the airport would be terrible?

What about Jonesboro? Riverdale? McDonough? Fayetteville? What kind of commutes could we expect? What areas are safest?

Any help would be appreciated! We are going on a house-hunt trip in 2 weeks.
Peachtree City
Tyrone
Newnan
Sharpsburg
Fayetteville

Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
Ok, so it's a suburb and not rural. Still not seeing why a young professional would like this area.
WHAT ARE YOU NOT SEEING? There's good affordable housing there. There's bars and nice restaurants there. There's decent shopping there. There's great recreational stuff like jogging trails, tennis courts, swimming pools and lakes there. There's young professional people there. There's even GAY people there! Why must all single professional people live in Midtown or Buckhead or East Atlanta?

BUT ALL THIS IS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE THE OP IS MARRIED WITH TWO YOUNG KIDS!

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-14-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why must all single professional people live in Midtown or Buckhead or East Atlanta?
That's just the way it is. Why would they want to live anywhere else?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Those are the areas with the highest concentrations of single professional people. Most of them want to be around other single professionals.

When I was a single man, moving to Buckhead was the smartest thing I did. Plenty of time for suburbs later, young people want to be and should be in the city.

Now you're seeing a lot of young couples without kids and with young kids wanting to be in more "intowny" suburban areas like Decatur, VaHi, Inman Park, etc. Some of the further out suburbs like Alpharetta, Duluth, Peachtree Corners, Smyrna, Sandy Springs are kind of catching up and attracting some of the things that people like about being closer into the city. In my opinion, the southern suburbs are lagging behind in this aspect and are more geared for people who would rather have the traditional suburban experience, pretty close to opposite the urban experience.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 PM

Let me repeat:

ALL THIS IS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE THE OP IS MARRIED WITH TWO YOUNG KIDS!

Even better, her husband works for an airline! Therefore, Peachtree City is a perfect fit! How the heck did this get into a discussion about SINGLE YOUNG PROFESSIONALS?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyann28 View Post
This is very helpful... as I was looking at a map of these locations, I noticed Palmetto has a few more rental options. Is Palmetto a decent area?
We're also in the process of moving to this area. I've been working in Peach Tree City for a few months and have a small apartment in Newnan (commute home to Alabama on the weekends). So take what I have to say with this in mind.

We were looking to buy a house in this area (PTC, Fayetteville, Shapsburg), recently. PTC is by *far* the most expensive area. Everything was either way more than I wanted to pay or very dated (right down to the shag carpeting and avocado 'fridge). We ended up buying in Palmetto. It's a little bit of a drive to PTC but so be it.

Palmetto is ~exit 56 on I85 and the airport is exit 72, so it's 16mi, plus surface roads. During "normal" commutes, that can be a PITA, though. I was once stopped on I-85 for two hours at about exit 67.

Just by $.125.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta