Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,569 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are thinking of relocated to Atlanta within a year we are both recent grads. We will be visiting Atlanta the 15th-18th which is Thursday to Sunday. We are staying with family members who have an apartment in midtown I believe close to Georgia State. I will be renting a car for the entire trip; we want to get a feel of the city and do what the normal people do. We want to eat breakfast at the best breakfast joint in Atlanta (any recommendations??) no ihops are anything like that. We are totally into driving through nice neighborhoods; I really want to see some of those mcmansions Atlanta is famous for. I also want to look at apartments in the midtown area do you know if all the lease office offer tours or do you have to make appt?

Any other tips, advise of what we should do please share; I also want to visit CNN Center and Coca-Cola……
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Have breakfast at:

Thumbs Up Diner Locations - Find a Thumbs Up Diner Near You (Old Fourth Ward location - cash only) and then explore Inman Park Neighborhood Association | Just another WordPress site

Or go to Sun in my Belly and then explore City of Decatur : Home

Have lunch at Six Feet Under Atlanta in Grant Park and walk across the street to see Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta and explore Grant Park Neighborhood Association

Take a drive in Buckhead and see some incredible estates. Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - Tuxedo Park
West Paces Ferry use to consist of only a handful of plantations and is a beautiful drive.

Atlanta Buckhead - Restaurants, Hotels, Shopping - Offical Buckhead Guide

Explore Midtown:
Piedmont Park Conservancy
Midtown Alliance

Have fun!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Have breakfast at:

Thumbs Up Diner Locations - Find a Thumbs Up Diner Near You (Old Fourth Ward location - cash only) and then explore Inman Park Neighborhood Association | Just another WordPress site

Or go to Sun in my Belly and then explore City of Decatur : Home

Have lunch at Six Feet Under Atlanta in Grant Park and walk across the street to see Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta and explore Grant Park Neighborhood Association

Take a drive in Buckhead and see some incredible estates. Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - Tuxedo Park
West Paces Ferry use to consist of only a handful of plantations and is a beautiful drive.

Atlanta Buckhead - Restaurants, Hotels, Shopping - Offical Buckhead Guide

Explore Midtown:
Piedmont Park Conservancy
Midtown Alliance

Have fun!
Thanks Six Feet Under looks awesome!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
My girlfriend and I are thinking of relocated to Atlanta within a year we are both recent grads. We will be visiting Atlanta the 15th-18th which is Thursday to Sunday. We are staying with family members who have an apartment in midtown I believe close to Georgia State. I will be renting a car for the entire trip; we want to get a feel of the city and do what the normal people do. We want to eat breakfast at the best breakfast joint in Atlanta (any recommendations??) no ihops are anything like that. We are totally into driving through nice neighborhoods; I really want to see some of those mcmansions Atlanta is famous for. I also want to look at apartments in the midtown area do you know if all the lease office offer tours or do you have to make appt?

Any other tips, advise of what we should do please share; I also want to visit CNN Center and Coca-Cola……
Georgia State is actually in downtown, but Georgia Tech is in midtown.

And I'm assuming you mean historic mansions as opposed to Mcmansions?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Right next to Six Feet Under is Ria Bluebird which is ecletic and quite good. NY Times says they have the world's best pancakes. Ria’s Bluebird

Fun neighborhoods to check out, especially if you may live intown if you move here -- Inman Park, Virginia Highlands, Old Fourth Ward, West Midtown, Midtown.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 AM

635 posts, read 1,510,379 times
Quote:

Seems like you can appreciate things a little more than others, so if you like history there is tons of it throughout the metro, from Margaret Mitchell's house to Martin Luther King Jr's birthplace and historic center to many little towns out in the metro that you could go to. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Is margaret mitchell house an actual museum? Will we be able to walk through or just the outside? I recall someone telling me it was extreamly diffucult to get a tour of mlk's home because you have to register a tour in advance; is this true?
How is parking at these two facilities

Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
At some point everyone ends up at Waffle House. One thing about the South finding a place to eat is not a problem.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Quote:
Is margaret mitchell house an actual museum? Will we be able to walk through or just the outside? I recall someone telling me it was extreamly diffucult to get a tour of mlk's home because you have to register a tour in advance; is this true?
How is parking at these two facilities
Margaret Mitchell - Home will have plenty of parking.

Here are some additional spots to see:

Fox Theater: The Fox Theatre - Atlanta, Georgia

Atlanta History Center - Located on 33 acres of history in Buckhead, Atlanta

Home | Atlanta Botanical Garden

The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change

Jimmy Carter Library and Museum

Depending on your interests, a City Pass might save you some money. Official Atlanta CityPASS® | Visit 5 Atlanta Attractions for $69

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM

72 posts, read 151,738 times
Quote:

For Breakfast, try the silver skillet and for a sunday brunch, go to the Sundial restaurant. It is on the 72nd floor of the Westin Peachtree Hotel and the entire floor rotates while you eat, giving you a 360 view of the city.

Definitely do the world of coke tour, the ga aquarium, cnn tour, and I will think of some other things. I hate that you are coming a week late for the high rise home tour in mid march. I think you and your g/f would have really liked that. As far as driving through nice neighborhoods to see mcmansions, plan for that to be an all day thing because ATL is so spread out, and there are hundreds of neighborhoods with houses in the $500k range and above. I can even give you some neighborhoods to drive through where houses are $2 million and up. Many are gated, but every part of town has million dollar mansions so that shouldn't be too difficult. Let me know if you need advice on anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta