Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
True for this economic recession. Ask her how Houston fared in the 80s. I remember entire skyscrapers along 59 sitting vacant for years. If Houston's economy is still heavily dominated by the oil industry then it is very vulnerable.
It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
True for this economic recession. Ask her how Houston fared in the 80s. I remember entire skyscrapers along 59 sitting vacant for years. If Houston's economy is still heavily dominated by the oil industry then it is very vulnerable.
The economy in the 1980s wasn't nearly as diversified as it is today. Houston will be fine.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That may be fine for you, but the OP has a family. Start adding up 4 plane tickets to Miami, and you're getting into a pretty expensive trip.

One of the nice things about Atlanta is you can pop down to the beach for a long weekend or Spring break or whatever in your car. Also, once you get there, it's not like staying in a hotel. Virtually every condo on the Gulf coast has a kitchen, so you can go to Publix once you get there and make meals at home. That saves tons of money and is a lot more convenient with kids.

Even the el cheapo hotels down there pretty much all have some kind of kitchenette.
The drive to Destin from Houston isn't much different than the drive from Atlanta. I've done both. And the Georgia beaches don't compare to Destin, although they are a little nicer than Galveston. North Padre near Corpus or South Padre in the Valley are comparable or shorter drives than Tybee from Atlanta.

Galveston (or Surfside) are right there if you want to go.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Atlanta and Houston have been compared on this board before.

Personally, I say Atlanta wins hands down, but it's a personal choice. Here are some differences that I have noticed, though I will admit I'm no expert on Houston. I lived there briefly, but it was almost 30 years ago.

Atlanta has more interesting day trips. Blue Ridge mountains, Nashville, Florida, Chattanooga, Alabama, plus you can fly anywhere on the east coast directly in less than 2 hours.

Houston seems more international and has more ethnic culture, but much of it is centered around Hispanic and Latin culture. Atlanta's ethnic culture seems more diverse. I know nothing about Asians in Texas, but Atlanta has a huge and thriving Asian population (mostly Korean).

Tons of outdoor recreation in Atlanta. Silver Comet is just one, but there are a plethora of scenic greenways (Big Creek, Suwanee, the list goes on.) The park system around Atlanta is wonderful, particularly in Gwinnett county.

I recall a significant drug problem in public schools in Houston, even in the very nice areas. This may have been cleaned up by now, but I just really wouldn't feel comfortable with kids in Houston schools. My experience my have been unique, but it left a bad taste in my mouth about the state of education in Houston.

Houston seems closer to water...but I remember it taking many hours to get to any kind of decent beach. We would go to South Padre Island, which was pretty far. Galveston was disgusting (maybe better now?) Beaches are 5-6 hours away from Atlanta, but when you get there, they are world class.

Atlanta has more interesting greenery. There's a hint of seasons here, so you get flowers in the spring and leaves changing colors in the fall. I don't remember that in Houston. Though I will say that Atlanta winters can actually get really cold. I don't remember Houston ever getting very cold. I don't think there is any danger of ice or snowstorms there, Atlanta gets them every 3 or 4 years.

Houston probably has a bigger city feel and a more mature nightlife, restaurant, etc. scene. It's probably a better sports town, too. Though when I was there, they had the Oilers, so who knows what it's like now.

I agree that you need to visit both places. The "vibes" are very different, and you'll figure out very quickly which place you feel more comfortable. Report back when you've decided and let us know why you made whatever decision you make!
Believe it or not, Houston has the largest Asian population outside of New York and CA. Demographics of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The drive to Destin from Houston isn't much different than the drive from Atlanta. I've done both.
575 miles compared to 300??? From Houston it's a 10 hour drive!! Hardly comparable to the 6 hours from Atlanta.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
575 miles compared to 300??? From Houston it's a 10 hour drive!! Hardly comparable to the 6 hours from Atlanta.
Any drive that's over 5 hours is a full day anyway, so who cares if it's 6 hours or 10? I think we all get you don't like Houston, and that's your prerogative. But as a native Houstonian (40+ years), I personally love it. In fact, I think the reason I'm going to love Atlanta so much is because it reminds me of Houston in many ways.

Galveston Island is a fantastic hotbed of historical homes. Only Charleston, SC has more Victorian-era homes still intact. The beaches in Galveston might not be Destin, but they have their own charm and are not "dirty" by any stretch of the imagination. Some of the most beautiful images in the island are photographed by an avid surfer, you can see his photos on https://www.facebook.com/pages/G-Tow...6198?sk=photos

I am a Florida baby, no doubt (spent all my summers and lots of Christmases in Ft. Myers/Naples) but they're just night and day. You go to Destin for the beach and the water. There's not much else. You go to Galveston for everything else, and then the beach.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,980 times
I've lived in both, was in ATL for 3 years and have been in Houston for almost 6 years, and can honestly say you can't go wrong with either place. Both have their plusses, including diverse economy, great shopping/restaurants, and nice suburban areas. And, both have their minuses, i.e., crime in spots, and both have bad traffic esp. outside of their respective "perimeter" highways. I will say that ATL has the edge in overall weather/climate and natural beauty, however Houston does get some points for having the beaches of Galveston nearby. ATL has some interesting weekend getaways nearby (Smoky Mtns, Savannah, Carolinas, Chattanooga), and so does Houston (Austin, San Antonio, Cajun Country). Houston definitely has a bourgeoning Asian community, with two distinct "Chinatown" districts.

Spend a little time in both places and make an informed decision.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Houston is interstate nearly all the way. Its a chore to get to Destin from Atlanta on all the side roads. Have you ever actually done it?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Houston is interstate nearly all the way. Its a chore to get to Destin from Atlanta on all the side roads. Have you ever actually done it?
The difference in this comparison is that the trip from Houston to Destin is if you want to change things up and go to a different beach. In Houston you are already in a coastal area.

Plus from Houston you can go to the very nice South Texas beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta