Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 35,088 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We'll be visiting and staying near Georgia Tech in one of the hotels (Courtyard). We were wondering if it would be safe to walk to/from Georgia aquarium area. We have kids. We might be returning around dusk time (not necessarily night).

I found out after booking the hotel that the area around Georgia Tech is not so safe. Is it that bad? Ofcourse we have a vehicle and if necessary would just use it but I was imagining a bustling urban area full of people aka NYC Midtown etc and hence a walk would be much more enjoyable experience. Am I off base?

Thanks for your tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
The area around GT is not bad. Occasionally a kid walking home at 2AM will get his/her laptop stolen, but that is about it. The local media has really picked up on this "crime spree" and has built a boogeyman scenario that doesn't exist.

As far as that walk, during the day yes you could, but the area between GT and the aquarium isn't the best part of town. It isn't the worst, but it walks by a big homeless shelter which leads to panhandlers. Does the hotel have a shuttle that you can catch a ride on? That would be my recommendation.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
You'll be fine. If you do walk after dark, remember to be aware of your surroundings and don't have your electronics out.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
I'm not sure where the Courtyard is, but if I were you I would try to walk to the Aquarium via Luckie St., as you walk by an elementary school, Coke headquarters and a bank, and it's a 4 lane road with decent traffic, so it's unlikely anyone would try anything. Where ppl get in trouble (and as mentioned above, usually when it's dark) is when you cut through side streets. I would agree that it's not a crazy bad area, but it's definitely not good.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 35,088 times
Courtyard is on Techwood Dr. Thanks everyone for your responses. In the evening, I'll probably go with the hotel shuttle suggestion if they are available. Lucke St might be worth looking into in the morning. Per the map, going via Luckie St slightly increases the walk but will try depending on how willing everyone is.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM

403 posts, read 619,041 times
its a cheap cab ride if the hotel donesn't have a shuttle. as others have said its not the best part of town especially if your not familiar with it.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
You'd be better to walk to Arts Center MARTA Station and take the train to Peachtree Center or Dome\GWCC\Philips Arena\CNN Center stations. The hotel is on 14th Street, that's 2 miles to Centennial Olympic Park.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM

454 posts, read 820,983 times
The real problem is the traffic, bad pavements and wide roads. Makes walking unpleasant on many of the main streets.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
I was imagining a bustling urban area full of people aka NYC Midtown etc and hence a walk would be much more enjoyable experience. Am I off base?
Pretty off base.

What you're looking for does exist in Atlanta, but it's mostly up in midtown, not downtown. Maybe the area around Georgia State would be an exception when school is in session.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
i wouldn't walk down marietta, maybe not luckie, especially at night. maybe during the day. your best bet if you want to walk is probably going over the 14th street bridge and going through midtown.

it's not that the area is dangerous, but there's not a lot of foot traffic which can equal someone being able to mug you easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta