Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,848 times

Advertisements

Can someone Please tell me more about Jonesboro? I will be
Moving to the Fairfield subdivision which is around
Lake Spivey and jodeco road. I am moving from Boston. I
Have heard countless negative remarks about Clayton
County which is said to have a terrible school system and violence.
Does anyone no about this specific area that I will be moving to?
Is all of Jonesboro really that bad??? Please be honest people.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,072,376 times
I don't know specific areas of Jonesboro. As far as I know, it's all bad.

Why on earth would you consciously move there knowing what you do?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,388,758 times
That neighborhood isn't so bad at all. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, the rumors about the school district are accurate.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM

876 posts, read 2,280,112 times
The areas near and in Lake Spivey are pretty nice; mostly large homes with big lots. You are near decent shopping and very convenient to I-75. That is the good part about where you will live. There is a lot of things to do around that area with kids.

The public schools there in Clayton are in very bad shape right now. Arnold Elementary school, which is in that area, may be OK, but most of the rest of the schools, I would pretty much avoid, maybe elementary is OK to use. Do you know which school district you are in? I know that area is very close to Henry County but it is still located in Clayton county.

If you haven't, go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to research the schools.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 PM

890 posts, read 1,651,095 times
That's a nice area, but the schools aren't good. If your child is going to Arnold elementary that'd be your best bet. You might want to move or go private after that. I live in that area but am looking to move closer to the city.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 PM

567 posts, read 890,968 times
I know exactly where you are moving to. I've lived near that that area for a while now. You are going to be fine. East Jonesboro/ Lake Spivey is actually one of the safest places in Clayton. The communities are pretty tight knit and the individuals look out for each other. I went to the police station the other day to take care of some business and they told me that very rarley do they get reports on this end of town. That's pretty refreshing given the amount of things you hear about Clayton. The neighborhood you will be moving into is very close to the Lake Spivey, and Emerald Drive area which are home to some million dollar homes. The area in general is kept up,well and very rarley do you see anything. Fairfield in particular has a lot of families so you will occasionally see kids playing in the streets, but as far as trouble makers, I'd highly doubt it. If you have kids, then they would go to Aronld elementary, M.D. Roberts Middle School, and Jonesboro High School. Aronld is the best elementary school in the county as is M.D. Roberts is the best Middle School.. However, jonesboro has declined a bit. When I went there, there were still some of the Lake Spivey kids who went there and you would thus see BMW's and Mercedes in the school parking lot.. However, it has declined more since I was last there ( 06) If you can I would recommend placing your kids in Private school. Two really good ones include: Eagles Landing Christian Academy and Community Christian School, also if your kids are really bright, Woodward located in College Park is one of the top prep schools in the Atlanta Area and very close to Jonesboro. Yeah so I wouldn't worry at all. Your fine!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,848 times
That is awesome. I am so glad to hear some
Positive comments about the area. Thanks for responding everyone!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,072,376 times
If you love your children, do not let them attend Jonesboro high school.

I have a good friend who was a teacher there for many years and constantly complained about it. They had him in some sort of contractual lock, I don't know how it works, but basically if you don't renew your contract and aren't able to get a new job, you could be out of work for the whole year. I don't know, something like that....

Anyway, it got so bad after a few years he couldn't take it anymore and so he just risked it and didn't renew his contract. He said it was ok when he started, but over the years it got worse until it just got horrible. He said the entire administration was made up of complete idiots and the students were no better. Apparently, he was right because shortly after he left, the entire county lost its accreditation. When I began looking at houses in 2006, his advice was simply "don't look anywhere in Clayton county."

The general wisdom in Atlanta is if you must live south of town, live in Henry or Fayette county.

Incidentally, my friend moved to a different county school system and is infinitely happier.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM

7 posts, read 11,840 times
Hi All,

I know this thread is a couple months old, but hoping you all can still lend some advice! I too am looking at a couple rental places in Jonesboro. I do not have any children, so don't need to worry about schools. Just looking for a "safer" neighborhood with a duplex, 4-plex, house, etc. in my price range.

I found a townhome on the far west side of Jonesboro between Webb Road and 85. I also found a house for rent south of Jonesboro near Irondale. I checked city-data, crime reports.com, and neighborhood scout, and all seem to show that these neighborhoods are in a dead cell for crime.

If anyone can provide more insight on these areas, it would be much appreciated. I am relocating from across the country for a new job, and am trying to find something safe and afordable from afar.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta