Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,930,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Right, but my point is that the same dagger was driven right through the heart of much of the rest of the city, too. Many other neighborhoods have recovered (often with difficulty) and there's no reason Auburn Ave can't recover as well.
You are right, but it was built as the black commercial center of segregated Atlanta. Once people were allowed to live where they pleased they left the old restrictive areas. Businesses followed. But unlike other recovered areas "urban pioneers" did not immediately move to the area. I think the streetcar will drastically improve the area and add residences and commercial to the neighborhood. Don't forget both streets are set to receive pedestrian upgrades in the TIA. Better lighting means safer areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:26 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,328,814 times
Sweet Auburn is going to be fine. It's going to take some time, but significant progress is happening continually.

-The projects over there: GONE.
-Royal Peacock: Back in business.
-Two or three restaurants just opened over there in the last few months.
-Renaissance Walk, a large residential development, was opened a few years ago (bad timing, granted).
-The streetcar is coming.
-Edgewood Ave, the next street over, is one of Atlanta's newest hotspots for young people.
-GSU just last week bought two buildings in the area.
-The Daily World building was almost bought, showing that there is private sector demand for those properties.

All positives. I can't think of any steps in the wrong direction that have been taken in that area over the last several years.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,125,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
If it has people, business should follow. If not, there's a problem. Guess we'll see if the streetcar fixes it.
Well much of the residential in the area is fairly new, so it's partly a function of time--as in, there hasn't quite been enough of it yet to produce a complete turnaround.

Quote:
The process should be organic. Besides, the connector isn't going anywhere so maybe we should let it go and focus on more promising areas.
If the neighborhood was deliberately divided, then it should be deliberately reinvested in. Why is it that urban disinvestment can be completely engineered but urban investment should be "organic"?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:20 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,893,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If the neighborhood was deliberately divided, then it should be deliberately reinvested in. Why is it that urban disinvestment can be completely engineered but urban investment should be "organic"?
While it is true that the freeway was deliberately routed through Auburn Ave, that is also true in every other neighborhood where freeways have been built in Atlanta and elsewhere.

That's not to minimize the disruption of freeway construction. We lived within a stone's throw of one and it took years for the neighborhood to fully adapt.

But it's doable, and that's the point I'm making about Auburn Ave. Its issues can't be laid solely at the feet of the freeway, and that's not where the solutions lie either.

If Mathman is talking about avoiding a theme park style redevelopment, I tend to dislike those, too. However, that doesn't rule out master planning or targeted investment. A great deal of work in that regard has been done and I'm optimistic the area will take off after the streetcar is in operation.

For those who haven't seen this, scroll down to the section on what they refer to as catalytic development sites.

Revitalization Strategy

Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,540,287 times
Atlanta should shoot for what H Street is becoming here in DC:

H Street NE Neighborhood Guide in the DC area from washingtonpost.com

I believe a street car is slated to begin operating along H street in 2013.

It's a shame that one of the most historic neighborhoods in Atlanta was just left to rot like that.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,125,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
While it is true that the freeway was deliberately routed through Auburn Ave, that is also true in every other neighborhood where freeways have been built in Atlanta and elsewhere.

That's not to minimize the disruption of freeway construction. We lived within a stone's throw of one and it took years for the neighborhood to fully adapt.

But it's doable, and that's the point I'm making about Auburn Ave. Its issues can't be laid solely at the feet of the freeway, and that's not where the solutions lie either.

If Mathman is talking about avoiding a theme park style redevelopment, I tend to dislike those, too. However, that doesn't rule out master planning or targeted investment. A great deal of work in that regard has been done and I'm optimistic the area will take off after the streetcar is in operation.

For those who haven't seen this, scroll down to the section on what they refer to as catalytic development sites.

Revitalization Strategy
"Theme park redevelopment" is typically reserved for brownfield sites, which Auburn Avenue is not. My point is that the city should be deliberate in reinvesting in the area, which is part of the city's urban core, and I think it's doing just that.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 PM

16,731 posts, read 29,618,216 times
Quote:

This.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,152,754 times
Quote:
I don't know if it was deliberate to divide it. It is after all a flyover. They probably didn't have a sense of what these roads would do back then. The Connector basically spit Atlanta in two. Georgia Tech has no sense of connection to the other side of Atlanta. I wonder how the town felt before the Connector was put in? You can still see roads on one side end and continue on the other side of the expressway. The fabric of the city was ripped apart. Although, what was done on 5th Street at Georgia Tech has helped mend a small piece of that ripped fabric.

Georgia Tech., Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

That bridge/park blocks out the sight and sound of the Connector.

Really, the same is not true of Auburn Avenue but it is more of a psychological split. I suspect that the sight and sound of the Connector will keep Auburn Ave split.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,895,552 times
Quote:
I don't know if it was deliberate to divide it. It is after all a flyover. They probably didn't have a sense of what these roads would do back then. The Connector basically spit Atlanta in two. Georgia Tech has no sense of connection to the other side of Atlanta. I wonder how the town felt before the Connector was put in? You can still see roads on one side end and continue on the other side of the expressway. The fabric of the city was ripped apart. Although, what was done on 5th Street at Georgia Tech has helped mend a small piece of that ripped fabric.

Really, the same is not true of Auburn Avenue but it is more of a psychological split. I suspect that the sight and sound of the Connector will keep Auburn Ave split.
it's pretty clear that I-75/85 was put where it was to separate the neighbourhood from downtown as it was such a significant black community.

the biggest problem now is that the interstate is overhead between sweet auburn and downtown, you have this 30 foot high, who knows how many feet wide hulking behemoth in the way of everything. had the separation occured below grade as it was at georgia tech, somehow i don't think the separation would've been as severe.

but now we're stuck with it— what do we do at this point? i think there needs to be heavy lighting under where auburn and edgewood go under the connector, and there could possibly be storefronts built under there. as for the wall, cover it with either art or trees. they made a pathetic attempt on the east side to put some italian-looking trees that don't fit at all when they needed to go with local trees that will tower over the sides of the interstate when grown out.

of course the streetcar is the first step to all of this. i can't wait until it's completed.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,895,552 times
Quote:

oh, and also, i wish they'd do that sort of thing for all of the bridges over the downtown connector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta