Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times

Advertisements

Atlanta council to consider measure aimed at aggressive panhandling *| ajc.com

In my opinion, this is the single most important legislation Atlanta could pass to help the city.

I don't understand how penalizing chosen behavior can be seen as racist, but whatever....

Call your city representative and let him or her know that you support this legislation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,736 times
Yes - because people who sleep in Roosevelt Park or around the North Ave mission are going to read the internet to know we past laws directed against them.

They then have a choice between living outside in the 100+ degree elements or a taxpayer provided 72 degree dorm room with three nice meals a day.

I work downtown every day and have yet to be attacked by an "aggressive panhandler".

Councilman Bond should be ashamed at his lack of compassion and humanity.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I work downtown every day and have yet to be attacked by an "aggressive panhandler".
You must park right by your building and walk directly from your car into the building and then directly back to your car.

Here's an experiment. Find the smokers in your building. Go and hang out with them for a day or two when they go smoke outside. I guarantee you that 10 minutes won't go by where you aren't asked for money, or at least for a cigarette. It might take a few weeks of going out with them, but I also guarantee that you will eventually be threatened if you don't give money.

Why is banning aggessive panhandling lacking compassion? If you want to sit quietly with a cup and sign, go freaking nuts. If you are going to harass people, it needs to be more than a slap on the wrists. It costs the city millions, maybe billions, every year in lost revenue from conventioneers and tourists who no longer want to come here.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,025,361 times
Shouldn't this be a common sense law?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,736 times
I've been hit up for money all the time. That, in no way, is threatening to me.

Let's think about this logically - you are a homeless person. You are looking for money to get something to eat around 2pm on a Tuesday.

Your choices are 1) ask some nice dressed business people for money or 2) attack/rob nice dressed business people.

I'd much rather they choose option one.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,421,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Yes - because people who sleep in Roosevelt Park or around the North Ave mission are going to read the internet to know we past laws directed against them.

They then have a choice between living outside in the 100+ degree elements or a taxpayer provided 72 degree dorm room with three nice meals a day.

Councilman Bond should be ashamed at his lack of compassion and humanity.
I disagree, panhandling is one of the biggest blights on tourism and the attractiveness of midtown/downtown to people that do not live or work there.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,525 times
Good luck trying to get money out of a homeless person to pay a fine.

I guess some people need to define " aggressive panhandling" before this thread get too confusing.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM

You're right. Those are the only choices. There are absolutely no programs in Atlanta that provide food to the needy. There are absolutely no social programs that provide food, shelter, medication (if needed), and drug and alcohol treatment (if needed).

The legislation is win/win. They can either non-aggessively ask for money. Or they can do it aggressively and then they will have at least 6 months where they won't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from.

Atltechduded said it. Panhandling is the worst blight on this city. This legislation wasn't brought up just to be mean-spirited. It's a reaction to a barrage of complaints about the situation.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You're right. Those are the only choices. There are absolutely no programs in Atlanta that provide food to the needy. There are absolutely no social programs that provide food, shelter, medication (if needed), and drug and alcohol treatment (if needed).

The legislation is win/win. They can either non-aggessively ask for money. Or they can do it aggressively and then they will have at least 6 months where they won't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from.

Atltechduded said it. Panhandling is the worst blight on this city. This legislation wasn't brought up just to be mean-spirited. It's a reaction to a barrage of complaints about the situation.

Panhandling is annoying and a problem for tourist areas, but what can you do. What is aggressive panhandling anyway, asking more than once? Can someone give me a scenario, where aggressive panhandling is a criminal offense? I have never been aggressively panhandled, or witnessed it in my 8 year experience living and working Downtown. Now, maybe enforcing loitering is a more reasonable way to combat panhandling, but begging for money is covered by the constitution.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 PM

I would define aggressive panhandling as anyone who continues to follow you around and talk to you even after you have said that you do not want to give them any money.

Or even people who walk with you and keep talking to you even as you are politely trying to ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta