Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 PM

85 posts, read 185,143 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is the largest metro with just one commercial airport. Philadelphia technically only has one, but there are 2 (Allentown/Atlantic City) within 45 minutes that are closer for some of the suburbs.

Dekalb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Seems like it'll never happen. For one, all the people in the northern suburbs complain about how long it takes to get to Hartsfield, yet they'd holler "NOT IN MY BACK YARD!" at a proposal (NIMBY's anyone?). All the current smaller airports apparently are too close to residents and would mess up Hartsfield's air traffic lanes or something like that (they can't just reroute them?). Then you have Hartsfield itself which probably would try its hardest to block anything from fear of losing its "world's busiest" title.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:40 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Hartsfield will just build more terminals like they are doing now.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post
Atlanta is the largest metro with just one commercial airport. Philadelphia technically only has one, but there are 2 (Allentown/Atlantic City) within 45 minutes that are closer for some of the suburbs.

Dekalb?
Atlanta has just one airport, but it is a very busy airport with the capacity to handle more flights than most others in this country. Many other cities have two or more because at least one of them is capacity-limited in one way or another.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
OH here we go again.

Most people would agree that the bulk of the metro area is not well served by hartsfield and that another, smaller, perhaps regional airport, would be best. One where you can easily park. One that you can easily get to. One that has more discount operators like JetBlue. One where you don't have to walk 10 miles across the airport to get from one terminal to the next. One where you don't have to share the airport with millions of international travelers who are just passing through.

The only problem is, there is apparently nowhere to put one.
Well, actually there is. They should bulldoze Northpoint mall and build the airport there. Then build an expressway that links the west side and the east side to it and we'll be in business. But I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:33 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
Well, if I recall correctly, the government tried to buy up land in north Georgia to build another airport in the early 1970s, however, where ever this was, there was lots of dense fog. I don't know what is being done with the land now, but I think it is little to little, little too late. The entire area is very developed and I don't forsee something like this getting done anytime soon. They will just keep adding on to Hartfield-Jackson.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM

725 posts, read 1,279,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Well, if I recall correctly, the government tried to buy up land in north Georgia to build another airport in the early 1970s, however, where ever this was, there was lots of dense fog. I don't know what is being done with the land now, but I think it is little to little, little too late. The entire area is very developed and I don't forsee something like this getting done anytime soon. They will just keep adding on to Hartfield-Jackson.
The City of Atlanta still owns that land. I've been up there and it's not to developed around there, but it is way out of the way(Dawson County). As is the city is more concerned with growing ATL than adding a seconed airport so far away.

I think the city and state should focus more on making it easier to get to ATL rather than building a new airport.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post

I think the city and state should focus more on making it easier to get to ATL rather than building a new airport.
BINGO.

And frankly, they could divide heartsfield into two or build one across the street so long as it was easier to get in and out of and there was a convenient and affordable way to get to and from the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
The City of Atlanta still owns that land. I've been up there and it's not to developed around there, but it is way out of the way(Dawson County).
Where is it?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM

725 posts, read 1,279,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
BINGO.

Where is it?
Near Dawsonville. It's called the City of Atlanta Tract, there is a sign along hwy 9.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
The land is actually Deed restricted to be only used for aviation, a few years ago the 'use' clause came up, and if Atlanta did not use it for aviation use, the land would revert back to the pervious owner (Lockheed).
I heard the the airport authority permitted a Helistop on the land. To keep to the deed restriction, so they did not lose the land.

Atlanta at one point wanted to sell off the land for sub developments, but could not get a judge to change the deed restrictions on the land.

The land (almost all of it) is managed by Georgia Forestry Commission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta