Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 AM

34 posts, read 129,219 times

Advertisements

On monday night I drove south on I-75 from Cumberland Blvd to 14th st. around 6 pm. It was rainy and there were at least 3 accidents on the drive. I noticed that not one street light over I-75 was on. Who needs to be contacted to get these highway lights turned on? I can only imagine how much they would help reduce the chance of accidents if the highway was lit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,720,053 times
Pretty sure, City of Atlanta turned them off during the downturn to save money or a dispute between them, GDOT and GA Power.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,078,076 times
Don't know how I-75 works, but a few years ago we had the lights turned back on on I-85 in Gwinnett county.

The county had turned them off as a cost saving measure to save money on electricity. We complained and they turned them back on.

I was one of the complainers. I called the county and complained. I e-mailed the Gwinnett editor of the AJC and he wrote up a story on it. A couple of weeks later, the lights were back on, so I can't really say what actually did it. However, it can't hurt to contact the local media.

There isn't that much documentation on how lights reduce accidents. This is the most definitive study that I was able to find, and it will probably be enough to get the county to turn the lights back on if you threaten to go public with it and start a grassroots campaign: https://www.transportationresearch.g...20Lighting.pdf

It is truly amazing how inexpensive the lighting is. The AJC found out that it costs Gwinnett $100k a year to keep the lights on. The lights only have to prevent a handful of accidents to make that money back. It's truly one of the cheapest and easiest things to do to make roads safer, so be vigilant in getting it done.

Last edited by ATLTJL; 11-14-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,377,271 times
Maybe the lights are still set for daylight savings time.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM

847 posts, read 1,459,571 times
The rain probably contributed more to the accidents than the lack of lighting. If you are speeding on a wet roadway, then you could potentially get into an accident even in a well-lit area.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Don't know how I-75 works, but a few years ago we had the lights turned back on on I-85 in Gwinnett county.

The county had turned them off as a cost saving measure to save money on electricity. We complained and they turned them back on.

I was one of the complainers. I called the county and complained. I e-mailed the Gwinnett editor of the AJC and he wrote up a story on it. A couple of weeks later, the lights were back on, so I can't really say what actually did it. However, it can't hurt to contact the local media. . It's truly one of the cheapest and easiest things to do to make roads safer, so be vigilant in getting it done.
Way to go, ATLTJL! Seriously good whip cracking!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 PM

34 posts, read 129,219 times
Thanks ATLTJL! I've already contacted GAPower and GDOT but I will look into contacting the media outlets. I'd rather feel safe on my drive home then worry about hardly being able to see the road!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,263,450 times
I drove many-a-time on I-75 back and forth from Georgia Tech at night - in the rain and not. Now, I drive on 95/128 in metro Boston and Rte 3 with no streetlights - in the rain, snow, and not. Bottom line - it comes down to weather conditions and the driving capabilities of the other drivers on the road, not a few street lamps along the highway.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,891,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeet9 View Post
Thanks ATLTJL! I've already contacted GAPower and GDOT but I will look into contacting the media outlets. I'd rather feel safe on my drive home then worry about hardly being able to see the road!
Nice. If you find you could use more voices, post back here. I am sure you can find some more people willing to get behind this (including me).

Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM

52 posts, read 103,488 times
I saw a story on the news a while ago about this -- from what was reported, many of the lights are out because of either lack of maintenance or the cost to repair/replace bulbs/lamps. From what I remember, an audit was done and the cost to fix all the lamps in the area was something in the millions of dollars.

Aside from safety (which apparently can be argued here), I'm also concerned about the appearance it gives the city. Coming in from out of town and seeing a bunch of lights turned off or half-lit would give me the impression that the city (or state) is pretty shabby. Although that's just me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta