Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times

Advertisements

Well, as a cautionary note, no one expected Hurricane Hugo to go that far inland either. I went to school just north of Charlotte, NC (a good 200+ miles inland from Charleston, SC where it made landfall), and we were slammed by that storm. I'm talking 40% of the trees on campus down, including many 100+ year old oaks. We had a hole in the roof of our 2-story dorm and were huddling together in the lobby scared to death. Power was out for days and the line to get gas was hours long. We were completely unprepared. I'd like to think that prediction is better than it was in 1989, but who knows?

Hurricane Hugo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Southeast droughts are almost always broken by tropical storms or hurricanes. This is just nature doing its thang! It's really something to be grateful for.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Southeast droughts are almost always broken by tropical storms or hurricanes. This is just nature doing its thang! It's really something to be grateful for.
Until it tears down my apartment building.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times
My part of Ga expected to get 4 to 12 inches...we need it too!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,909 times
I recall Opal very well ... I lived in NC at the time and was in Tallahassee visiting family when the storm was approaching the FL coast nearby. My wife and I had a plane ticket out of town the day that Opal was approaching, and we may have even moved up to an earlier flight during the day. When we arrived at the TLH airport (which is very small), there was an announcement that all flights after our departure time were cancelled. We felt like we were boarding the last copter out of Saigon.

Our small plane was shaking as it made its way down the runway, and it continued to shake and rattle in the air for the first 30 seconds or so after takeoff. One we reached a higher altitude or distanced ourselves from the winds, it was no problem. But I was thinking for those first 30 seconds that we maybe should have skipped the flight or that we would end up in Oz with Dorothy and Toto.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Our small plane was shaking as it made its way down the runway, and it continued to shake and rattle in the air for the first 30 seconds or so after takeoff. One we reached a higher altitude or distanced ourselves from the winds, it was no problem. But I was thinking for those first 30 seconds that we maybe should have skipped the flight or that we would end up in Oz with Dorothy and Toto.
No...theirs was a tornado.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 PM

92 posts, read 231,295 times
Awww, good grief any of you Atlantans have nothing to worry about. The majority of hurricanes are usually all broken up by the time they get to Macon.
On the other hand---- I am the one that may have something to worry about if a hurricane would ever hit the Big Bend of Florida south of Tallahassee. That is because I am in Valdosta. Somehow we got extremely here lucky to just avoid the bulk of the first few tropical storms by a slight hair, TS Beryl then Debby. Just a county away they got it the worst, down in Live Oak, FL, also in Wakulla not far away. We got some good rain, but nowhere near to what they got about a half hour to 40 minutes away. I believe the greatest risk for A- Town weather-wise is tornadoes,e specially with the sudden eastern 'migration' of them. Tornadoes seem to becoming more prevalent more to the east with every year. Remember Alabama's? Well, usually those types of tornadoes hit further west. I wonder what is causing that? Perhaps a change in the wind circulatory patterns. While there has always been a risk of tornadoes in Middle-Western Georgia mostly, there has been a recent tendency of tornadoes to be further East more and more lately. You people worrying about 'Canes up there in ATL are starting to remind me of the paranoia people have in Maryland when a few inches of snow is in the forecast. In the tone that they say on those NFL football pre-game shows---'C'moawn Mayunnn'!! (C'mon Man)!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 PM

Talking current models

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Isaac could have a HUGE impact on the Atlanta area. The computer models are showing as much as 9-12 inches of rain from this. Not only could flooding be a major issue, but the super-saturated ground, plus even moderate winds (20-30mph) could mean a lot of downed trees and power lines.
Well, the most current models that I just seen have the 'Cane more likely to hit in between Panama City and Mid-Coast of Mississippi. If so, it would be Birmingham and the cities of Alabama to more likely get that kind of rain instead of Atlanta. Calm your hormones, now.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Talking for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yeah I know. Ain't it something, how they Cry about the rain and then Cry about the drought. Can't ever please anyone I tell ya . Down here we don't really need that much more rain, we been getting it pretty good the past few months. I suppose it is making up for last year. I can remember it raining only about 3 times all of last summer- serious. It is surprising this area did not turn into a desert. I suppose all the forest fires was a substitute for a desert though.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times
From the last report I have seen it looks like landfall has moved further west to around Fort walton beach area...previously it was around Panama City...Landfall does not really matter anyway...all we usually get it rainfall anyway from these storms..in 2004 Valdosta got "hit" by 3 storms in 3 weeks we racked up alot of rain and I lost an old oak tree in my back yard barely missing my house! But since then I don't recall ever getting hit until this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta