Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times

Advertisements

Walmart to put Neighborhood Market in Alpharetta

I live down the street and I checked it out myself— check off another grocery store you can walk to from downtown Alpharetta. Believe it or not, it's 24 hours. The store used to be a Winn-Dixie, about 15 years ago, but ever since it's been sitting vacant, occasionally it was used for a halloween store. This is the smallest Wal-Mart I've ever seen, it's only groceries and pharmacy stuff, no clothes, electronics, etc. I also realized Alpharetta's getting a lot more diverse these days. I went in the other night and half the staff and customers were muslim— there is an Islamic center down the road from us, a Halal restaurant in front of the new Wal-Mart, and a... I don't know what the term is but it's like a muslim version of tznuit— Women's modest clothing? I think this is really cool. Windward Parkway and over around North Point are still all white, but things are more interesting in downtown Alpharetta these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
Interesting. Other than gas stations and a few fast food places, I don't know any type of store that is open 24 hours in and around Alpharetta. It seems like the whole north Fulton county area stores mostly shutdown by 9 or 10 pm during the week and it is very quiet at night. Very typical of bedroom communities.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
I've visited the one in Lawrenceville a few weeks back.

Nice setup but the same annoying lack of cashiers at the registers like regular Wal Marts. Annoying in the middle of the day to have 1 or 2 cashiers and they have to manager their line as well as the self check out.

Other than that, it is Wal Mart without the annoying crowds everywhere...

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,433 times
I was shocked to find this store one 24/7 here but the prices for dry goods are excellent. I run in use te self checkout and get out quickly. Not a Walmart fan but prices rule these days.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 AM

397 posts, read 843,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Interesting. Other than gas stations and a few fast food places, I don't know any type of store that is open 24 hours in and around Alpharetta. It seems like the whole north Fulton county area stores mostly shutdown by 9 or 10 pm during the week and it is very quiet at night. Very typical of bedroom communities.
OK. But I would not call Alpharetta a bedroom community as there are plenty of businesses and employers IN Alpharetta

Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
Alpharetta used to be a quiet and very pretty community. You used to be able to drive down mcginnis ferry and around windward and it was like being in Connecticut. I think thats why so many floridans were drawn to it.
Now it is all built up and full of big box stores and office towers. It's on it's way to being a poorly planned edge city.

This wal*mart neighborhood market will get some of the scuzzies out of the premium grocers and I'm sure the country club types will be just a-ok with that.

So now there's a lot of places to buy food there.
Publix, kroger, ingles, wholefoods, war*mart market, fresh market, costco, sams.... what am I leaving out?

Last edited by cittic10; 09-22-2012 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 02:18 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
OK. But I would not call Alpharetta a bedroom community as there are plenty of businesses and employers IN Alpharetta
It is a bedroom community (or better yet a suburb) in the sense that Alpharetta wouldn't exist in it's present form without it's proximity to Atlanta. Most of the businesses and employers are there due to Atlanta being nearby.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:34 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It is a bedroom community (or better yet a suburb) in the sense that Alpharetta wouldn't exist in it's present form without it's proximity to Atlanta. Most of the businesses and employers are there due to Atlanta being nearby.
alpharetta doesn't fit the definition of a bedroom community anymore— bedroom community is what it means— people live there and do not work there. due to the extemely large concentration of jobs in the north fulton area, you have more people that come to work in alpharetta than actually live there— the population increases 3x during the day due to all the companies located there. yes, alpharetta would be nothing without atlanta, but that does not define it as a bedroom community by any definition. alpharetta would more closely fit the description of an edge city.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
alpharetta doesn't fit the definition of a bedroom community anymore— bedroom community is what it means— people live there and do not work there. due to the extemely large concentration of jobs in the north fulton area, you have more people that come to work in alpharetta than actually live there— the population increases 3x during the day due to all the companies located there. yes, alpharetta would be nothing without atlanta, but that does not define it as a bedroom community by any definition. alpharetta would more closely fit the description of an edge city.
(or better yet a suburb)

Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
alpharetta would more closely fit the description of an edge city.
We went up to Alpharetta the other day for a football game and it blew my mind. It's as if the whole world has been supersized -- I felt like Gomer coming to town.

The kids up there still have a little bit to learn about football but their facilities are amazing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta