Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM

164 posts, read 375,533 times

Advertisements

They keep making serious progress on these Path trails in SE and SW Atlanta (less desirable parts of the city). A couple of the trails are the South River Trail near Gresham Park, Southtowne Trail near Lakewood Heights, West-End trail in the West-End, the Lionel Hampton Trail near Chalet Woods, and I would also throw in the Whestone Creek Trail near Bolton (but that area is cleaning up and more NW Atlanta). Now they are adding another one.
http://pathfoundation.org/2012/10/path-will-construction-of-the-southweat-beltline-connector-trail-phase-1/

They have a lot of green space on the south side and the trails are nice . The sad part though is that they are barely used compared to the new Eastside Trail, Tanyard Creek Trail in Buckhead, the trail around Chastain Park, S Peachtree Creek trail in Decatur, the trail connecting Blackburn Park to Murphy Candler Park near Dunwoody, Kennesaw Trail from Kennesaw Mountain to Marietta, Silver Comet Trail and the connector to Cumberland Mall, the Stone Mountain Trail from Decatur, The Roswell River Trail, and the Big Creek Greenway in Alpharetta.

Do people avoid these south Atlanta trails due to safety perception issues or lack of convenience or connectivity?

There is also a nice network of Path trails near Panola Mountain / Stone Crest Mall / Lithonia area that even seems less traveled than Silver Comet.

I think these trails will be valuable in the future if these inner-city neighborhoods gentrify, but I hope that it is money well spent and the trails don't fall into disrepair or get vandalized.

Also, until Atlanta gets all of these Path trails connected they are not useful for commuting (most of the main roads are simply not bike friendly).

Last edited by pignchick; 10-23-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
I think it has more to do with the lifestyle of the people that live near those trails. No one is avoiding them per se but there is no reason for someone like me to drive to them when there are plenty available near my home.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
They keep making serious progress on these Path trails in SE and SW Atlanta (less desirable parts of the city). A couple of the trails are the South River Trail near Gresham Park, Southtowne Trail near Lakewood Heights, West-End trail in the West-End, the Lionel Hampton Trail near Chalet Woods, and I would also throw in the Whestone Creek Trail near Bolton (but that area is cleaning up and more NW Atlanta). Now they are adding another one.
http://pathfoundation.org/2012/10/path-will-construction-of-the-southweat-beltline-connector-trail-phase-1/

They have a lot of green space on the south side and the trails are nice . The sad part though is that they are barely used compared to the new Eastside Trail, Tanyard Creek Trail in Buckhead, the trail around Chastain Park, S Peachtree Creek trail in Decatur, the trail connecting Blackburn Park to Murphy Candler Park near Dunwoody, Kennesaw Trail from Kennesaw Mountain to Marietta, Silver Comet Trail and the connector to Cumberland Mall, the Stone Mountain Trail from Decatur, The Roswell River Trail, and the Big Creek Greenway in Alpharetta.

Do people avoid these south Atlanta trails due to safety perception issues or lack of convenience or connectivity?

There is also a nice network of Path trails near Panola Mountain / Stone Crest Mall / Lithonia area that even seems less traveled than Silver Comet.

I think these trails will be valuable in the future if these inner-city neighborhoods gentrify, but I hope that it is money well spent and the trails don't fall into disrepair or get vandalized.

Also, until Atlanta gets all of these Path trails connected they are not useful for commuting (most of the main roads are simply not bike friendly).

In a few of those areas there are only a limited number of homes presently. That side of town is much less developed in parts, especially to the southeast. The southwest also has low-density neighborhoods and alot of large parks/preserves, so when something is built fewer people live along it.

In contrast the Eastside Beltline trail is hopping, because the area is full of neighborhoods+ new urban development right along it.

The Stonecrest/Panola trail is in the same situation. That area is only recently growing. There is alot of undeveloped land around that trail and the park it is in. The neighborhoods around it don't connect to it and are very low-density. It has the characteristics of a exurban area that is suburbanizing near the mall. However, it is a great little system in some well protected parks. I bet more people will find out about it eventually, but it doesn't go places people traditionally walk/bike to. In fact I think more people will need to drive to it... to use it.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
In contrast the Eastside Beltline trail is hopping, because the area is full of neighborhoods+ new urban development right along it.
The Eastside Trail connects places too. My wife and I used it to walk home from here work, 12th and Peachtree, to the Inman Park Station. It was a long walk, but very fun. We stopped at Two Urban Licks!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
Interesting question. I have used several of those trails such as Lionel Hampton, West End and Whetstone Creek. Have never seen much traffic there and have wondered why.

We've also enjoyed the Arabia Mountain trails, and they seem to get a lot more use.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM

284 posts, read 590,722 times
I dont think we are avoiding them; I agree you just don't have the density. This is a very residential/greenspace-oriented area.

Plus there are a lot more options as far as "greenspace" and activity areas too. I see crowds of people walking the tracks at local schools every morning, plus there are multiple YMCA facilities (esp the gigantic one off MLK!), parks, cemeteries, golf courses, driving ranges, and nature preserves that attract nature lovers, dog walkers, and those keeping active. I know in my neighborhood most of the residents tend to be on the older side (grandma/grandpa) so you see folks walking around the block, but not jumping on a bike for a 5mi ride.

Residents of Adams Park met with several agencies involved with this project...Phase 2 will add connectivity from Phase 1 to Adams Park via Boulevard Lorraine...ultimately connecting this gorgeous 1930s sister park of Chastain to the Beltline entrance at RDA/White St via Westview. I remember seeing a potential Beltline streetcar extension that would go to Adams Park as well, so getting a PATH is a nice start. We already have extensive "bike lanes" but as another reader noted some of those are on really busy, poor visibility, hilly, curvy roads. PATH adds visibility and safety.

Another huge plus is the connectivity to the first intown mountain bike pumptrack at Lionel Hampton. We already get quite a few casual bikers along the PATHs and there are several organized 'rides' put on that come through the SW corridor for mountain bikers and street cycling.

As for the safety/vandalism concern-- I am on the PATH system, at Adams Park, the Bush Mtn Nature Center, Greenwood / Westview /Utoy cemeteries, using bike paths (not on busy roads), and in the nature preserves at least 1 a week, by myself or with another female, and have ONLY encountered other people enjoying some quiet natural beauty. I have never even seen a "Scary" homeless person in the woods (I do know of one older man who has made his rounds to a water source at one location for years now, but he camps elsewhere closer to the expressway). I live on 2 bike paths, between two of the PATH trails, and a .25 mile from 2 of the PATH parks so I also drive by these locations at least 2x a day. Unfortunately as the areas "gentrify" (and by that I guess that means, attract people who normally are terrified to venture SW of the Capitol- otherwise its a ridiculous term for the Audobon/Cascade/Adams Park area), this may actually ATTRACT opportunistic crime to the outdoor areas as they become filled with more people toting electronics/fancy bikes/leaving their laptop in their cars etc.

We have spotted foxes, coyotes, turtles, snakes, hawks, owls, herons, and some rather bossy mockingbirds however-- so don't let your guard down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta