Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the BOR's decision to merge eight college and universities is a good move?
No, it was a poor decision 0 0%
Yes, it was a good decision 8 61.54%
I agree with some mergers but not with others 5 38.46%
I agree with some mergers but don't approve how the mergers will be going through(name changes, location changes, administration etc) 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times

Advertisements

I wonder how this is going to work...North Georgia is a military school while Gainesville State is sort of party school/jumper school.. it seems both sides gets their feathers ruffled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I wonder how this is going to work...North Georgia is a military school while Gainesville State is sort of party school/jumper school.. it seems both sides gets their feathers ruffled
I agree. Georgia Regents University has a similar problem. Ricardo Azziz, President of GRU has an interesting blog that addresses the issues with merging different instituions. It's worth a read. I think there are only three or four articles dedicated towards the topic.

Sculpting in Clay

Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 AM

Talked to some friends at UNG. Apparently, they may be having a hike in tuition. Dunno if it's true. Just a rumor

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Talked to some friends at UNG. Apparently, they may be having a hike in tuition. Dunno if it's true. Just a rumor
An increase in tuition? Interesting. I would think Gainesville State would charge as much as North Georgia, but I didn't think North Georgia students would be charged more. Maybe it's just standard increase. Perhaps from the USG fee.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
North Georgia is NOT a military school like VMI or the Citadel; it simply has a large resident ROTC program. Students are not required to participate in ROTC and indeed the majority do not. Gainesville will benefit enormously by being brought under the NGC banner.

I'm not so certain about the Augusta schools. I fail to see the benefit of that merger to GHSU and the medical college. It seems more of a reaction to UGA's new medical school than anything else, simply a power ploy by Azziz. The controversy over a name illustrates how poorly thought out that merger was. Augusta State is a small local campus with little room to expand and no reputation beyond the Augusta region. I fear the MCG brand will be devalued ultimately. Being a graduate of the Medical College of Georgia has always carried a degree of prestige in this state; I simply do not see the same for Augusta Regents University. Medical professionals want a diploma with a prominent, well-known name on their walls. University of Georgia. Emory. Mercer. Augusta Regents?! What the hell is that?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM

North Georgia is often referred to as Georgia's military college. It's no VMI, but I think it's the closest we get in Georgia.

The UGA-GHSU Medical Partnership is jointly operated by UGA and GHSU. It isn't their own standalone medical school, although a merger may be a possibility in the near future. That was one of Adam's dreams. Too bad he won't be president when it happens!

I have to say I'm glad I don't have to say "Georgia Health Sciences University" anymore. That name sent heads spinning.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
North Georgia is NOT a military school like VMI or the Citadel; it simply has a large resident ROTC program. Students are not required to participate in ROTC and indeed the majority do not. Gainesville will benefit enormously by being brought under the NGC banner.

I'm not so certain about the Augusta schools. I fail to see the benefit of that merger to GHSU and the medical college. It seems more of a reaction to UGA's new medical school than anything else, simply a power ploy by Azziz. The controversy over a name illustrates how poorly thought out that merger was. Augusta State is a small local campus with little room to expand and no reputation beyond the Augusta region. I fear the MCG brand will be devalued ultimately. Being a graduate of the Medical College of Georgia has always carried a degree of prestige in this state; I simply do not see the same for Augusta Regents University. Medical professionals want a diploma with a prominent, well-known name on their walls. University of Georgia. Emory. Mercer. Augusta Regents?! What the hell is that?
The Board of Regents were behind the merger and medical school in Athens.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 PM

The campus in Athens is STILL RUN BY GHSU!! I don't know how many times I've made this same post! It's a partnership, not a move. The main campus WILL remain in Augusta. The needed facilitates are PHYSICALLY in Athens. There is no way that Georgia Regents University will merge with UGA AND move to Athens. UGA will get it's own medical school before such a thing happens.

Here is the website in case anyone wants to read up:
GHSU | UGA Medical Partnership

Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Why is every freaking thread about GHSU. Derailed lol

Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 PM

I wonder if UNG will be porting over to Desire2Learn with the merger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta