Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Actually progressiveness and race often go hand and hand. If you think about the most progressive areas if the country the first thing you notice is the paucity of black people. It would seem that whites are only open to progressiveness in a majority white atmosphere.
I know--I understand that...we have actually discussed this on this forum a few times. It is very true...and very sad really.

However, I was just giving clarifying/adding information about Iowa for other posters--not making a comparison to Georgia, making an excuse for Iowa (or Georgia), or trying to say that Iowa is necessarily better than Georgia in anyway. That was not the purpose of the post--I wasn't going in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And what, pray tell, does this have anything to do with what I stated in my post?

Sometimes, arjay, it might be better for you to rest your fingers a bit and stop wasting energy/time unnecessarily.
I'm referring to the demographic breakdown Maureen Downey discusses in the "Get Schooled" article cited in the original post.

Georgia has a MUCH larger black and Hispanic populations than Iowa, and that's where our lowest graduation rates are.

So I'm not sure you can conclude from this graduation rate data that Iowa is more progressive than Georgia or that it places places a higher value on educating its citizenry

Last edited by arjay57; 12-02-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Actually progressiveness and race often go hand and hand. If you think about the most progressive areas if the country the first thing you notice is the paucity of black people. It would seem that whites are only open to progressiveness in a majority white atmosphere.
And...

I have already posted the article below a few times here on city-data...mostly a few years ago.

However, since we have crossed back into this topic again--I feel that it is very appropriate for me to post it once more:

The White City | Newgeography.com

Enjoy!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm referring to the demographic breakdown Maureen Downey discusses in the "Get Schooled" article cited in the original post.

Georgia's has MUCH larger black and Hispanic populations than Iowa, and that's where our lowest graduation rates are.

So I'm not sure you can conclude from this graduation rate data that Iowa is more progressive than Georgia or that it places places a higher value on educating its citizenry
Um, arjay...

I did not mention graduation data in my post. I am actually very skeptical of all these "metrics" used to try and rank schools, states, etc. I am a master educator and I know the "real deal." The uninformed can debate back and forth on here until the cows come home for all I care.

My post is simply referring to the long tradition and track record (qualitative and quantitative) that Iowa has in public education, pragmatic progressivism, etc.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I did not mention graduation data in my post. I am actually very skeptical of all these "metrics" used to try and rank schools, states, etc. I am a master educator and I know the "real deal." The uninformed can debate back and forth on here until the cows come home for all I care.
I see. I was reading your post in the context of this thread, which is about ranking states based on graduation rates, and assumed that was what you were referring to.

As to Iowa's progressivism in general, well, that's an interesting can of worms.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
This topic got me curious about other state's graduation numbers. I was surprised at New York's numbers based on race/ethnicity.

NY Graduation Rates for Black, Hispanic Boys Lowest in Nation | NBC New York

Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times
White progressives promote a progressive system because it keeps minorities dependent on the government. They want higher taxes to keep a dependent class. Do some research on the leadership of Acorn.

Remember there is a difference between liberal and progressive ideology.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM

254 posts, read 419,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
White progressives promote a progressive system because it keeps minorities dependent on the government. They want higher taxes to keep a dependent class. Do some research on the leadership of Acorn.

Remember there is a difference between liberal and progressive ideology.
Let me ask you something...Do you think Georgia or Iowa is more of the destination for intelligent and educated people to succeed? Be honest please.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Let me ask you something...Do you think Georgia or Iowa is more of the destination for intelligent and educated people to succeed? Be honest please.
A higher percent of Georgia residents have a bachelors or above degree.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
A higher percent of Georgia residents have a bachelors or above degree.
But how many of those GA residents are white and native to GA? Also, I think you all are failing to realize that in many other states across the country, including IA, IL, WV, and even AR have black populations that had a percentage almost the same as white GA students who graduated. IL, WV, and AR have black populations that exceed the national black population average and IL and AR have urban school districts that serve high amounts of black students in Little Rock and Chicago.

And like I said before, this "us vs them" thing is what is keeping GA back. The fact that many of you want to blame your statistics on black or hispanic students versus doing everything that we can do to help every child, like they do in IA and other states across the country. Also, even if you look at black statistics alone, Mississippi black children are doing better than GA black children. Mississippi white children are graduating at high rates than white children in GA. The demographics really aren't all that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It is a focus on education, attempting to make education better for all citizens of a state not a "oh, the white kids are okay. It is those black kids that are bringing us down" sort of attitude that is hurting graduation rates in GA. White GA kids aren't doing better than white kids in most other states and it is like you are trying to blame that on other demographics. It is pretty sad IMO.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-02-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta