Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I couldn't be bothered with AP classes, just stuck to my regular honors and got As...with much more time to socialize and have fun. Wasnt in a rush to graduate college early (can't imagine why anyone would want to do that - just to do what - get a job and begin the daily monotone of life as an adult)? Anybody who is special enough to take AP classes, which is totally optional, should pay for the exam. It's a totally optional endeavor.
Good luck getting any good schools, even UGA/Tech these days if you never took AP classes. Those classes prepare you for college and can award you college credit.

The average incoming freshman at UGA when I was looking a couple of years back was 3-5 ap classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
If you have paid any attention to what is going on in DeKalb, the challenge is DeKalb cannot do more than most other systems. When the state stop paying for AP tests, so did most GA systems. DeKalb isn't the City of Atlanta with its mostly healthy tax base or Fulton County which is seeing upward movement in housing prices, rather it is a county with declining to flat values across most of the area.
Here is an example though of the general dysfunction that is DeKalb schools. The parents at SWD were just notified about this change. At at least two DCSS high schools parents were notified months ago.
Most colleges don't look at AP scores for admission purposes. The competitive colleges look at the rigor of the courses a student took relative to what is offered at their high school. The exam and potential credit for college is just gravy. When I went to college back in the dark ages, a 3 was good enough for credit in almost all courses. Now it is a 4 for many courses at least at some colleges.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
Quote:
You lost me on that first part. What does AP credit have to do with being competitive to get into top universities? Maybe things are different nowadays but back in the early 90's that didn't seem to be an issue.
That's right. Things have changed so much from the older generation.

lastminutemom, thanks for the insight. I haven't looked at the budget for DeKalb County, so I can't really comment on that. If you look at DeKalb High Schools, I would give a lot of credit to the very few students who take the initiative and are committed to school(and not drop out). The students this will hurt the most are the students who want to apply to schools who DO use AP courses as criteria for admission - which is more common than you would think.

More importantly, AP courses are a way to skip out on some of the intro level courses which can really save you a lot of money and time. It isn't always about graduating sooner, but for some people it is...and thats good, not bad.

Not everyone wants to spend four years seeing who can smash the most beer cans on their forehead. Especially for DeKalb students who are probably going to have to take out loans for college, it can be a big deal to get a semester ahead. You could use that free time for internships, co-ops, enjoying college, volunteering or working. Not to mention the scholarship and honors program potential, and when I say scholarships I don't mean just HOPE. SAT II and AP scores are becoming factors for scholarships too.

School is expensive. AP exams help.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,552 times
AP exams don't have to mean you finish sooner. They are a great opportunity to skip over the intro core curriculum courses you have already mastered and take more advanced courses. Saved me from a couple of semesters of English, Spanish, Political Science, Biology, etc. that I didn't need.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
AP courses and exams for students desiring and able to advance farther in their studies are great. If students and their parents are willing to invest money for better education, more power to them.

For students on free breakfast or lunch meals, I think the schools can recuperate those costs by charging the same price for everyone to invest back into education. This would be a great lesson in budgeting finances.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
I find it unfortunate some parents are unable to afford the testing fee, however I do not believe other parents should be paying for college credits in a public high school. Also who finishes college in less than four years as result of their AP tests?

I agree I loved my four years of college. I thought it was easier than HS.

I also did not smash many beer cans, but I was more into the keg stand.

Last edited by GeorgiaLakeSearch; 12-05-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM

276 posts, read 431,019 times
Quote:
You lost me on that first part. What does AP credit have to do with being competitive to get into top universities? Maybe things are different nowadays but back in the early 90's that didn't seem to be an issue.
I guess it depends on what you consider top universities. I entered college in the early 90s as well and the most selective schools such as the Ivies, MIT, Stanford, etc. wanted to see that you took the most advanced classes your school offered. They wanted to see that you were willing to challenge yourself and do well. If you did not take the most challenging classes, you probably were not going to get in based on academic merit. I interview prospective freshman for MIT and the same is true today. If you want to be competitive with admission rates less than 10%, you need to challenge yourself by at the minimum taking AP classes. In fact many students I speak to do some of the video advanced calc classes at GA Tech.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Odd. I went to and graduated from Tech .... Guess those were the good old days when you could enjoy skip the AP classes, go to the college of your choice and grad from the college with honors. Sorry those days are gone. I didn't realize UGA was a school that was hard to get into. My eyes have been opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Good luck getting any good schools, even UGA/Tech these days if you never took AP classes. Those classes prepare you for college and can award you college credit.

The average incoming freshman at UGA when I was looking a couple of years back was 3-5 ap classes.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Esperanita,
Guess times have changed because, guess what, I went to Tech. Studied Engineering and graduated with honors...right along with everyone else who (apparently, per you) spent a ton of time in HS taking AP classes. Also got into other good schools too (see your email below) but Tech was hella cheap for in-state residents. Still is, I understand. I entered in the early 90s too and never had a problem getting into great schools - without any AP classes. Sounds like we had totally different experiences. Of course, I was always a bit of a renegade and did things my own way.

Sounds like times have changed. Guess it's just like the toddler homework thing nowadays. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
I guess it depends on what you consider top universities. I entered college in the early 90s as well and the most selective schools such as the Ivies, MIT, Stanford, etc. wanted to see that you took the most advanced classes your school offered. They wanted to see that you were willing to challenge yourself and do well. If you did not take the most challenging classes, you probably were not going to get in based on academic merit. I interview prospective freshman for MIT and the same is true today. If you want to be competitive with admission rates less than 10%, you need to challenge yourself by at the minimum taking AP classes. In fact many students I speak to do some of the video advanced calc classes at GA Tech.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 12-05-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM

Dichloro,
I guess I *must* be part of the older generation bc I don't even know what SAT II is. LOL. When I took it, it was just called the SAT.
But I would challenge you to not make light of things that may seem stupid like beer crushing contests. I have never attended one personally but college can be a time for growth (academic, social, emotional), maturity and just having fun! There is no other time in one's life like it. It's all the real world and bills after you get out. LOL. Enjoying "stupid stuff" just for the sake of doing so and just exploring life - I think - is a very valuable part of college. Some college students have no interest in rushing it. I think that's ok too. We are increasingly becomng all work and no play. Even our kids are obese, the kidnergarters are doing whole days now, toddlers are getting homework. In our society, we have to balance work AND play. Both serve a purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
That's right. Things have changed so much from the older generation.

lastminutemom, thanks for the insight. I haven't looked at the budget for DeKalb County, so I can't really comment on that. If you look at DeKalb High Schools, I would give a lot of credit to the very few students who take the initiative and are committed to school(and not drop out). The students this will hurt the most are the students who want to apply to schools who DO use AP courses as criteria for admission - which is more common than you would think.

More importantly, AP courses are a way to skip out on some of the intro level courses which can really save you a lot of money and time. It isn't always about graduating sooner, but for some people it is...and thats good, not bad.

Not everyone wants to spend four years seeing who can smash the most beer cans on their forehead. Especially for DeKalb students who are probably going to have to take out loans for college, it can be a big deal to get a semester ahead. You could use that free time for internships, co-ops, enjoying college, volunteering or working. Not to mention the scholarship and honors program potential, and when I say scholarships I don't mean just HOPE. SAT II and AP scores are becoming factors for scholarships too.

School is expensive. AP exams help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta