Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

I think people think downtown Atlanta is only the section around 5 points.Otherwise what are people talking about when the say Downtown Atlanta is not worth "visiting or scary".When you push people on their perceptions,you quickly find out that they dont really know what they think they know.

There is a lot going on Downtown EVEN NOW!!
Has anybody noticed the new retail and restaurants just on Peachtree street alone?
"Juke Joint"-Busy every night
"Jos A. Bank-REALLY? YES!!!
"Meehan's"
A few more and some under construction.
On any given night I see the streets especially around Hardrock,with people everywhere
So lets stop acting like Downtown is THAT bad or even bad at all

Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think people think downtown Atlanta is only the section around 5 points.Otherwise what are people talking about when the say Downtown Atlanta is not worth "visiting or scary".When you push people on their perceptions,you quickly find out that they dont really know what they think they know.

Has anybody noticed the new retail and restaurants just on Peachtree street alone?
"Meehan's"
On any given night I see the streets especially around Hardrock,with people everywhere

I have noticed all of those since I work downtown. Even still though I don't think downtown Atlanta is all that great. I especially though don't think it is "scary" even with the high incidence of crimes in downtown. I do feel though that it is focused primarily on office workers and tourist, not actual residents of the city and to me that is what makes it not so great.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

"Meehan's"
It's people who are clueless about downtown who say these things. Other things in downtown that aren't scary:

Rialto Theater
Tabernacle
Theatrical Outfit
GSU/thousands of students/new dorms
Thursday Farmer's Market at Peachtree Center
Centennial Park
CNN Center
Aquarium
World of Coke
Broad Street
Loads of new hotels that have opened in recent years
Newly opened Cafe Intermezzo
State and Federal government offices and courthouses
Braves
Falcons
Hawks
Thrashers (until recently)
Concerts and events at Philips Arena, GA Dome, GWCC
Apparel Mart

Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 AM

85 posts, read 186,974 times
Personally I love living/playing in Midtown, VaHi, L5P, and EAV. I just haven't had any need to go downtown yet, and It doesnt seem to be my scene much

Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,594 times
I think when people talk about downtown being scary, they mean at night. JPD while all of those things are there, 90% of what you list is closed by 5 or 6 pm which leads downtown to be pretty deserted minus the tourists. Things like the Hawks and things at Philips are great, but for the most part people go straight to the event and then come back, as there really is nothing around the area except for Centennial park. While there have been some new openings like the Juke Joint and Intermezzo, for the most part downtown has been chain/touristy restaurants all centered around 2-3 blocks on peachtree. And you have Intermezzo all over Atlanta so why go downtown? There really is no nightlife in the area like there is in midtown or little 5 points where you have people out and about until 3 or 4 in the morning.

A lot of other people try to compare other big city's with Atlanta's which doesnt compare. I think we are slowly getting there as more attractions are coming to downtown, a lot of other cities have a good mix of attractions, parks and shopping. I think the main things downtown are missing is the shopping and nightlife-a reason for people to just spend some time in the area. Atlanta is somewhat disadvantaged as it doesnt have any major water feature in the area like a lot of other big cities. In places like Chicago you have the lake/chicago river you can just walk along, all combined with Shopping (the mag mile), and a lot of bars, restaurants, and parks and museums. In Atlanta all you have is Centennial park.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
It's not bad compared to what?
It is good compared to what?

It's all relative

Old 11-01-2011, 02:34 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Downtown Atlanta is great. Most people who comment about it being scary live in the suburbs and think anything that doesn't have a homogeneous design is scary. I ride MARTA downtown at least once a weekend and enjoy the shops, restaurants, and bars. Living in a big city people must be aware of their surroundings. Crime happens everywhere, people just need to be aware of situations.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
I think when people talk about downtown being scary, they mean at night. JPD while all of those things are there, 90% of what you list is closed by 5 or 6 pm which leads downtown to be pretty deserted minus the tourists. .
You might want to check your math. I agree that there needs to be more going on at night and more people living downtown before Downtown will start to realize its potential, but wild hyperbole isn't helping you make your point.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM

210 posts, read 454,983 times
The biggest thorn in Downtown's side is the insistence of neighborhood businesses upon closing early. Once that changes, the fear factor will fade, and we can really be a town with a lit-up, appealing center.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Downtown Atlanta isn't that great either. For a city the size of Atlanta and with the clout it supposedly has, downtown is severely lacking in amenities that make it interesting and worth visiting. Broad Street would be a great place to try to bring more life into downtown. I don't know why they don't just block it off from Luckie down to Marietta and make it some sort of pedestrian mall. Drivers still have the option of taking Forsyth as a shortcut to Marietta and pedestrians already dominate Broad St anyway. And those restaurants seriously should consider staying open to at least 9pm. The Landmark Diner is not the best way to make an impression on out-of-town guests if you know what I mean. Bring in a couple of upscale bar and grills or something with patio seating or something. Promote outdoor concerts(they used to do this but I haven't heard of any lately.)

This city needs to seriously tackle Five Points. It's an absolute shame as it is. Just last week I was called "white trash" for having the audacity to stand at the counter waiting for coffee at McD's. The guy, who was too C.S. to say it to my face after I invited him to, went on to have the cops called on him and cause all sorts of drama with the staff there. I took a stroll down Peachtree south of Alabama and was blatantly offered weed at least twice and strippers(?!) once. Prior to this time I've been asked how many people I'd arrested that day. Maybe if I'd had on a XXXL white tee and was wearing my grill I may have fit in. It's just not a great representation of Atlanta(or maybe it is the PERFECT representation of Atlanta). Underground has sooo much potential but it isn't anything but sports apparel stores and tacky tourist shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta