Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 51,934 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any federal government positions open in Atlanta? I'm currently a civilian employed by the Navy in FL and I'm looking to transfer. I have an engineering degree as well as an MBA. I moved from Atl a year ago for this job and I desperately need to move back. My fiancé is still there and I'm currently pregnant. I've been looking on usajobs.gov, but no luck! I would appreciate any information or contacts that you may can give me. You can send me a direct message as well.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Desperate need of a FEDERAL job? How about ANY job?

Love,

An overtaxed taxpayer.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Desperate need of a FEDERAL job? How about ANY job?

Love,

An overtaxed taxpayer.
A crazy Taliban-TeaPartier? Taking gubmint handouts with one hand and showing the Feds the finger with the other?

Many federal military based jobs require clearance - the OP could be looking for a job that fits their background. Not everyone is looking for a handout from corporations in the form of minimum wage jobs.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:00 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Me too!!!!

I'm currently employed at a private firm, but would love the stability of a federal government job with a pension!

So if you know of any great federal government jobs, send them my way too!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha5003 View Post
Does anyone know of any federal government positions open in Atlanta? I'm currently a civilian employed by the Navy in FL and I'm looking to transfer. I have an engineering degree as well as an MBA. I moved from Atl a year ago for this job and I desperately need to move back. My fiancé is still there and I'm currently pregnant. I've been looking on usajobs.gov, but no luck! I would appreciate any information or contacts that you may can give me. You can send me a direct message as well.

Thanks!!

Federal jobs are, like, so hard to get.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
To the original poster -- I have seen it written many times on this forum about Atlanta having a good number of federal jobs, so hopefully your goal will work out.
--

If we don't see federal spending decreases in 2013, there will for all practical purposes never be federal spending decreases. Analysts on financial channels were saying that state/local governments have finally stopped their bleeding, just in time for drop in federal spending. Personally, I don't see how going forward there will be nothing but federal spending decreases. I wonder what the buzz is in federal govt circles these days?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
I have been applying for federal jobs for over 3 years, and no interviews. I have been turned down for jobs that I could definitely do. So I think you really have to know someone to even get an interview. Since you are already working for the Navy, you should already have contacts.

Last edited by midtown mile girl; 01-13-2013 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: change

Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha5003 View Post

Thanks!!
Good luck with that one...

Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times
Over the past 4 yeas I had two interviews for two different Federal jobs (both with the Fed of Atlanta). Was not hired. The second time the job went to someone with basically no expereince - which equals low pay. In short, I believe they did not want to pay.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM

217 posts, read 409,107 times
The federal government is under a pseudo hiring freeze. I've been working at a federal agency through a contractor for almost three years and people have been retiring and leaving for much better pay in the private sector the whole time. We were losing at least a couple of people a month a couple of summers ago, but now it's down to about one person every two months. Right now federal agencies are generally only allowed to hire current federal employees to fill vacant positions. The only exceptions are if there's only one person doing a certain job at your agency and it requires very specific knowledge and experience and they can't find anyone to fill it, or if the office is getting so badly understaffed because of people leaving that critical work isn't getting done.

They get around this a little bit by hiring contractors. I'm told that in the good old days, working as a contractor for a couple of years was very advantageous for getting hired as a federal employee but those days are over. I knew people in DC who had been working for the government through contractors for a decade. It's much cheaper for them to let the contractor corporation pay for your security clearance and take care of the weeding-out process and then dump you when you're not needed any more. Contractors also get paid less.

If you've already been a civilian employee with the Navy, that will probably help you out a lot getting hired by one of the contractor companies who are filling those empty positions.

I'm sure I'm about the 10th person to ask you this, but isn't it going to be really difficult to get hired anywhere, to do anything, if you're already pregnant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: