Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I tend to agree. To me it would have made more sense to start putting streetcars where lots of people live. As they become popular and accepted they could be expanded into the tourist and commercial zones.
Streetcars are fine. I'm not saying it's bad or anything...I'm just saying...they won't help the constant bottleneck traffic areas around the urban core. There are no alternatives to driving unless you want to pay a lot more money for a lack luster 'urban experience' in most parts of the city proper or be in the hood.

It's time for Atlanta to decide on whether or not it will extend it's rail or get LRT. More people will love Atlanta once it gets transportation alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
I love Atlanta the way it is....

Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 PM

88 posts, read 128,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelnic View Post
I'm from South Carolina... & I feel like Atlanta gives me balance and options of being in a big city, but at the same time I still feel comfortable and homely. It just just feels right. lol
That's how I think of Atlanta too. Even though I no longer live there, but hope to come back at some point, its always going to be my home and I always love going back to visit. It's exciting and dynamic in many ways but still there's many familiar elements that make it feel just right. Living in NC then NY and now MN since moving away for work, I haven't felt nearly as comfortable and its just a lot different. I've been away over 10 years but always keep up with what's going on there daily.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
sorry lived there for 7 years cannot fool me there is nothing there i did not do other in cities. i like coming to visit freinds while checking on my property but that is it.
That's true in just about every American City.Even NYC.Its only difference is its so much bigger and grander.
It comes down to presentation.What you find may not be what someone else finds.What did YOU find in another city when you moved away?I'm sure other may not see what you found in your current place.Cities are like people.You click with some more than others.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I tend to agree. To me it would have made more sense to start putting streetcars where lots of people live. As they become popular and accepted they could be expanded into the tourist and commercial zones.
It seems to make better sense to me to implement the initial streetcar line in a more tourist part of the city to ensure that it will be highly utilized. That will provide more of an impetus to expand them to more residential areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Streetcars are fine. I'm not saying it's bad or anything...I'm just saying...they won't help the constant bottleneck traffic areas around the urban core.
But that's not their purpose.

Quote:
It's time for Atlanta to decide on whether or not it will extend it's rail or get LRT. More people will love Atlanta once it gets transportation alternatives.
Which is why I say that Atlanta's biggest hindrance is the state of Georgia.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I see, so that explains why many women complain about Atlanta. I have noticed that most people who bash Atlanta (including on this forum) are female. I, on the other hand, live in a place where there are a lot more men than women, so its very hard for a guy to find a girl. However, that is the least of the reasons why I don't like living here. There are so many other quality of life issues that are enough to occupy my mind to the point where I'm too exhausted and burnt out to even think about finding a woman here.
You're some kind of backwards if you view Atlanta as desirable and Seattle as a cause of crippling burnout.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You're some kind of backwards if you view Atlanta as desirable and Seattle as a cause of crippling burnout.
Or they are a reasonable person who recognizes that cost of living is too high in Seattle and other major cities on the west coast and that they could have more here for less.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Almost any metro over 5 million people will have a lot of attractive and sexy women. The only ones that might be questionable is Philly and Boston.
You'd think so, but of the few other places I've been, Atlanta women are more attractive and there are more of them. Maybe California has the everyone beat?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM

23 posts, read 81,577 times
I telecommute so I can live anywhere in the U.S. at a lower cost of living than here in CT, and my husband is tired of New England winters. We are looking to move with our young daughter to a neighborhood where the winters are milder, and the neigbors are friendlier,more community-oriented. Should I lose my job, I'm prepared to move back north to family. If we find a homoe more affordable than in CT, we should be okay for a bit In case hubby cant find work (although hubby might object if years were to pass without work, as he has a strong work ethic and 20 years of experience in the food industry). He is looking on the web at homes up to $160K, while I research safety, schools and diversity (my must-haves). I don't want the big status house. The South has a complex culture that I know nothing of but that may be great for our daughter. She loves the outdoors deeply in all kinds of weather. I strongly desire a neighborhood where we can be outdoors 95% of the year and where neighbors get together, such as a SHADED community pool with happy kids to play with daily - where kids play outside, at the pool, or tag or street hockey or dodge or baseball or basketball in the streets or at local fields, and where respect for elders ( and teachers!) is deeply instilled. Again, I know nothing of the complex Southern culture, so I think I'm going to acclimate better in a community that includes transplants. It may be asking too much, but I'd like our daughter introduced to the culture so a mix of transplants and Southerners would be ideal. We like fishing and canoeing. We care nothing about nightlife, and neither of us are city folk. However, we'd learn to live within a city if it benefitted our daughter. We should be within an hour of a major hospital, and would like to only travel up to 20 minutes or so to get to grocery/hair salon/walmart-type. Do you have any good neighborhoods to suggest? So far, hubby has found homes he likes in Braselton (regency park drive, white walnut way, new liberty 30517) and Hoschton (pine cove ct, mcever ln, platinum dr, meadow vista 30548), as well as Lawrenceville (bridgewalk drive 30044, monte cruz drive 30045, madison chase dr 30045, halcyon way 30044 and jouster lane 30044). Thoughts on these places? Suggestionsn as to any others?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
We would be absolutely happy to help you and answer your questions but so we don't derail the coversation here please start a new thread. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta