Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM

61 posts, read 207,790 times

Advertisements

I'm a married mom of a teen age daughter living in Brooklyn New York. I have been trying to move out to GA for years and something always comes up. I was scheduled to move last summer, when my daughter was accepted in a charter school. I put my plans on hold so my daughter could attend this school. The issue is I hate living in NY. I have been told there are great school all over that my daughter can get in. My question, is there a place where you can find a ranking of education systems by states? For all the educators / parents where does GA education system rank amongst other states. ( mainly New York).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
I bet dichloromethane or mathman can help you out with a ranking, but the public schools are meh. Only if you live in a nice area can you find good school systems.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I bet dichloromethane or mathman can help you out with a ranking, but the public schools are meh. Only if you live in a nice area can you find good school systems.
Thank you for this info

Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
I can give you insight on the colleges. USG is a pretty solid university system. HOPE + the prices of all schools are still a bargin. Tuition goes up, but we've done a good job keeping prices under control. UGA and Georgia Tech are the stars, but the smaller schools aren't that bad. GA Southern, GSU, KSU are good schools as well. On the private school end, we have Emory and Mercer. Agnes Scott is also considered to be a good school by many. The trend is in our favor as people who live in Georgia.

Hope that helps. Happy moving

Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Like most other states, GA has some excellent districts, and some trouble ones. If you move to North Fulton, East Cobb, or parts of Forsythe and Gwinnett, you will most likely be very pleased with the public education available.

We are from the Northeast, and my kids had a tremendous amount of choices for honors and AP classes here in North Fulton.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
The quality of public schools around here is HEAVILY dependent on the quality of their students and their respective parents. Of course, that's a rule just about anywhere in the States.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Do the public schools in North Fulton really compare to the charter and magnet schools in NYC? They are some of the top in the country - those charter and magnet schools in NYC.

OP asked for a comparison with NY so I imagine someone from NY needs to come on and do a comparison.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
LovelySummer has it...
You might want to check Us News& world reports annually report of HS, that will give you there rankings. Would be hard for any one to rank one school against each other on a cross national basis. Also what / How you pick for the ranking can effect the results.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Do the public schools in North Fulton really compare to the charter and magnet schools in NYC? They are some of the top in the country - those charter and magnet schools in NYC.

OP asked for a comparison with NY so I imagine someone from NY needs to come on and do a comparison.
Thank you for your reply.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM

125 posts, read 227,946 times
Try schooldigger.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: