Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 32,911 times

Advertisements

Gee, that sounds really negative and depressing for a city where most people think it is happening. Is it just the HOOD areas of Atlanta or the entire city of Atlanta you are referring to? I always thought there were movers and shakers living there. What about the suburban areas? I had been there for a brief visit and was impressed by the city, it didn't seem run down or anything like that of other cities that I had been to. Most people moving there do have something to offer in terms of education and otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviegem View Post
Gee, that sounds really negative and depressing for a city where most people think it is happening. Is it just the HOOD areas of Atlanta or the entire city of Atlanta you are referring to? I always thought there were movers and shakers living there. What about the suburban areas? I had been there for a brief visit and was impressed by the city, it didn't seem run down or anything like that of other cities that I had been to. Most people moving there do have something to offer in terms of education and otherwise.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the comments from a first-time poster who goes by the name chickenchoker07. Take your time and peruse the Atlanta forum on this site. There is a lot of good and bad about Atlanta to be gleaned from this forum. When I moved here, I sought to live in a neighborhood (Decatur) that is close to Atlanta, thereby eliminating (for me) one of the city's biggest negatives (bad traffic). Atlanta can be a great place if you find a neighborhood that works for you.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM

19 posts, read 61,877 times
Hi,

I too am considering a move to ATL. I would not listen to anyone (chickenchoker07) who refers to any race of people as colered people. What do colored people look like in the year 2007?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandee26 View Post
I am thinking about moving to atlanta from CA. I wanted to know how is the crime rate and what places to move to as far as raising kids. Are jobs pretty easy to find? Please answer with your honest opinions. Thank You.
I like Atlanta although I live in South Fulton, just south of the airport. It helps to have someone local with their arm around you when you go looking for work or the loan necessary to purchase a home here. All large cities seem to have a high crime rate... we don't see a lot of crime here and I can get to center city in about 25 minutes. Do your reserch... city-data.com is a good source of information. Schools here are good, again we put several of our children through the Fayette county school system (one's a police officer, another is a truck driver, another is an occupational therapist and the youngest is a salesman for GE, alarm systems) almost forgot, have one that works in the home loan division of a National Bank in Florida. Not bad overall for Georgia schools. Have fun... looking forward to having you as a neighbor.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:08 AM

56 posts, read 179,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandee26 View Post
I am thinking about moving to atlanta from CA. I wanted to know how is the crime rate and what places to move to as far as raising kids. Are jobs pretty easy to find? Please answer with your honest opinions. Thank You.
Most people leave Fulton county when they start having children because the schools are notoriously bad.

Jobs are very easy to come by in many lines of work. (What type of work do you do?)

The crime stats drop significantly when outside of most of Fulton and parts of Dekalb counties. The 'burbs are very low crime.

Suggestions for areas to live depend on where you'd work, so you'd have to provide some more information.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:18 PM

43 posts, read 180,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenchoker07 View Post
Even though you might think CA is pretty bad, you would be well advised not to try Atlanta. I was stuck in that God forsaken place off and on for like 7 years, and they were not good ones (and I complained about Dallas).

If you are looking for a job in Atl, forget about it. There is next to no job's in the city, and if you find one, be prepared to drive out to the suburbs just to work

And speaking of suburbs, thats just where you'd better stay, since the city of Atlanta is just like one giant ghetto. Homless stewbums sit around everyday drinking in public, and the local law enforcement turn a blind eye to their public intoxiction; yet, if you ride up the street just to get a burger you'd liable to get caught up in a road block and go to jail.

The schools are notorious for cranking out students who can barely read and write their names after graduating (how do I know? My mom was a teacher at a local highschool where she resigned after dealing with the bad actors, and my brother did'nt learn a thing the time he went to school there).

The service is also pretty bad. Never go anywhere ordering anything through a drive through window because 9 times out of 10, your order will be wrong. No joking.

The local government is corrupt, yet the leaders and politicians try to make sure you obey the laws.

For it to be a "Black mecca", the colored people that are already running things stay busy trying to make sure no one else gets ahead.

The transportation system is preety good there, but thats only because the majority of the city's residents cannot afford cars, and have to take public transportation.

There are more ran down red clay projects in that one city than in the entire state of Georgia.

There is no such things as sidewalks for pedestrians or bikers, and the houses are built without fences.

The freeway system is devoid of service roads, and the speed limit there is still 55 mph.

The only thing Atlanta brags about is its multitude of strip clubs and night spots which are actually there only because there is really nothing else to do or brag about. Not to mention, its also a cleverly designed plan to keep the local population ignorant and broke, while out of staters come in, attend the local colleges on scholarships and leave...while also enjoying the fruits of the locals money.

The best thing that could have ever happened to me was leaving that dreadful place, and I will never look back.

I pray the south NEVER rises again, especially not Atlanta, Ga.
Seems to me that you were destined to fail as soon as you hit the city limits, my friend. I hope the best comes your way soon before you lose it and start attacking yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta