Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 6,173 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Due to the lack of jobs, cold weather, as well as extremely expensive housing market, I am looking to move down to Atlanta, Georgia. I will most likely have 1-2 people moving down with me, and would be searching for a 3 bedroom rental (preferably in the middle of the city). I have done some research and jobs and there definitely seems to be a better market for me down there.

Where would be the best place to move for a person in my demographic? Public school systems, family related things etc. don't mean anything to me. Big fan of the night life.

Also, do you recommend moving down there? I've only heard good things. I have some buddies who want to move out to Oklahoma City but it seems a bit too desolate out there for me (although I would live in downtown OKC if anything).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Atlanta can be a great place if you have a 23 year old with a job - and what are your plans for work?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM

Currently working within the Project Management/Project Coordinator field. Might end up attending a law school down there.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM

any other opinions?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Atlantic Station, Midtown, Virginia Highlands, Buckhead, Vinings/Smyrna and Brookhaven will all have large demographics of similar people as you.

PS - I think you didn't get many replies because your post was overly vague. Let's pretend I'm a 23 yr old moving for a job in Midtown NYC - where shoud I live? I'm sure one could just as quickly list Hoboken, Midtown, Chelsea, Gramercy/Murray Hill, Brooklyn, Williamsburg, UWS, UES, Harlem etc. In short - everywhere. lol.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
I recommend living in Midtown once you get a job secured down here. I am also from NYC and I have a place in Midtown. I work in Buckhead. Midtown has a lot of clubs and stuff like that and is the most walkable area of Atlanta in my opinion. It's not like my hood in Brooklyn but it's decent (density-wise).

There are quite a few jobs online in the Atlanta area from what I see from a quick job search:

Project Coordinator Jobs, Employment in Atlanta, GA | Indeed.com

The other good thing about Midtown is that it's relatively close to the Highlands or whatever that area is called which is just east of here. That area has a ton of people who also enjoy bars and nightlife and stuff like that.

To me, OKC for a native New Yorker would probably make you go insane. I had a big culture shock when I moved to Atlanta. It's a different life and there are a lot of things you need to get use to but it's really not that bad.

I landed a job here back in August of last year and just recently got another offer at a different firm closer to where I live. I don't even have a college degree.

Just remember, don't move without a job first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta