Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

Parking is an issue to consider whenever you live in any kind of multi-family housing.

Even if you live in a building that provides parking, make sure to consider the size of the lot. I lived in an apartment one time that didn't really have enough parking in the lots in front of each building, so I got screwed every night because I worked late and got home after everyone else. That meant I had to park in one of the lots further away and walk much further to get home. Annoying!

So if you are looking at a property, specifically an intown property, I would look for individually reserved spots for your particular unit. Especially if you are looking at one of the smaller properties where you are located. Consider a building with 20 residents that has 24 or 25 spots, but none are reserved. All that has to happen is someone has a party with a bunch of friends taking up the parking and pretty soon there is no place at all for you to park. These situations are good to consider when looking at any property.

I remember I looked at a condo in Buckhead that will remain nameless. They would only provide one deeded spot per unit, even if it was a 2-bedroom unit. Their answer for additional residents in the unit was to use the visitor parking lot, which had 20 spaces. The question I asked was what if one or two people have parties and their friends take up all the visitor parking, what do you do then? To which they simply did not have an answer. Would you believe that after I left, they called me and told me they didn't want that to be the reason I didn't buy there and offered to provide 2 deeded spots with a 2-bedroom purchase. I laughed and told them that was but one of a zillion reasons I would never buy in their building and hung up the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 AM

119 posts, read 212,559 times
Lol that's horrible!! Another reason why I never want to live in Buckhead!! Thank you for the advice!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Well, it's really property specific.

I lived in an apartment in Buckhead for 7 years that had 2 large parking decks and they were never ever full and I always parked very close to my front door no matter what time I got home. The worst I ever had to do was walk down a flight of stairs.

Conversely, the apartment I lived in that had the parking problem was in Lawrenceville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta