Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times

Advertisements

Everyone,
I have been doing a bit of research on intown schools and found Drew Charter.
Please give me insight on this school. I see that the Greatschool ratings is 10 and it is a STEAM school. It sounds phenomenal bc it also goes K-8 and soon K-12! Please provide feedback. I couldn't find much on city-data.

Also, what is perplexing to me is why the environment is not diverse if you can receive all of this for FREE??? It is a public charter school. The school is almost 100% AA and is in East Lake, which I know is very diverse. Why aren't other residents sending their children? Is it difficult to get in? Why isn't there more of a mix that reflects the community of East Lake (and other surrounding areas)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I think the lower grades are more diverse than the upper grades. In fact, some of the arguments against allowing them to go to 12th grade discussed this issue.

You can see the data for yourself at this site
Data Collections scroll down to reports, but they seem to be down this morning, probably weekend updates or something.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 AM

141 posts, read 299,573 times
I've heard really positive things about Drew Charter. And it's encouraging that they're expanding to higher grades! I've been researching schools/neighborhoods for quite some time, but I haven't considered charter schools too much when the zoned public schools aren't good. I just worry about admissions and being "stuck" with the regular public school. Sorry I can't really answer anything more specific.

Since this thread is going I do have a question in regard to this school. I was looking at the school's website and see that the primary attendance zone is for Village of East Lake. How is this different from East Lake? When I Google this I'm finding an apartment complex by the same name. Is this what they're referring to?

Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM

Thanks LastMinuteMom. I'll take a look. Also, have you heard good things about the school? The test scores look very good. Do you know if it is easy to get into the school if one does not live in the East Lake area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think the lower grades are more diverse than the upper grades. In fact, some of the arguments against allowing them to go to 12th grade discussed this issue.

You can see the data for yourself at this site
Data Collections scroll down to reports, but they seem to be down this morning, probably weekend updates or something.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM

I've now been able to look at their priorities for admission. You are quite right that, unless you live in Villages of East Lake (not sure where that is exactly, to answer your question), it is a gamble that your child could even get into the school. I read reviews and most are very positive about what the children are learning but the negative reviews seem to have the same sentiment: out-of-touch and unprofessional principal and staff, poor/mean treatment of students by teachers and poor administration. There weren't very many negative reviews but it's something to think about for sure.
But, like you said, that's if one could get his/her child in at all.... Guess that's the issue with charter schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
I've heard really positive things about Drew Charter. And it's encouraging that they're expanding to higher grades! I've been researching schools/neighborhoods for quite some time, but I haven't considered charter schools too much when the zoned public schools aren't good. I just worry about admissions and being "stuck" with the regular public school. Sorry I can't really answer anything more specific.

Since this thread is going I do have a question in regard to this school. I was looking at the school's website and see that the primary attendance zone is for Village of East Lake. How is this different from East Lake? When I Google this I'm finding an apartment complex by the same name. Is this what they're referring to?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I've now been able to look at their priorities for admission. You are quite right that, unless you live in Villages of East Lake (not sure where that is exactly, to answer your question), it is a gamble that your child could even get into the school. I read reviews and most are very positive about what the children are learning but the negative reviews seem to have the same sentiment: out-of-touch and unprofessional principal and staff, poor/mean treatment of students by teachers and poor administration. There weren't very many negative reviews but it's something to think about for sure.
But, like you said, that's if one could get his/her child in at all.... Guess that's the issue with charter schools.
The school administration at Drew is actually quite good compared to surrounding public schools. The school receives many grants and has awesome partnerships to fund their events and activities that truly make it a STEAM school. The Villages at East Lake receive first priority because the people there were displaced when the East Lake foundation was heavily investing in the area. If you recall, that area has one of the best golf courses in the country, but it was surrounded by what was called "Little Vietnam". It was one of the most dangerous areas in Atlanta. Due to the interest in turning the area around by the golf course, huge investment was put into that neighborhood, with Drew Charter being the number one investment. As they saw it (and I agree with), crime would never change without an investment in the neighborhood children. When the projects were rebuilt as mixed income housing, and the earlier residents were able to come back, they received first tier to the school, which represents the current demographic there now, especially in the older grades. As another poster said, as the area improves, the younger grades are becoming much more diverse. The turnaround in thAt area since the school was built is really amazinf, and i think the City of Atlanta should be taking note if they are trying to find the solution of cleaning up other areas of the city. The school has extended hours, and a huge amount of extracurricular activities for th students. It is one of the top rated schools in Georgia, and was recently recognized nationally as a "school to watch". It's really a great school in the city, and now that the high school is opening, it will be even better.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM

Ah, I understand now. Thanks so much for giving me that history. I had no idea about any of the previous goings-on in the area. Those children are receiving an amazing education. Good for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
The school administration at Drew is actually quite good compared to surrounding public schools. The school receives many grants and has awesome partnerships to fund their events and activities that truly make it a STEAM school. The Villages at East Lake receive first priority because the people there were displaced when the East Lake foundation was heavily investing in the area. If you recall, that area has one of the best golf courses in the country, but it was surrounded by what was called "Little Vietnam". It was one of the most dangerous areas in Atlanta. Due to the interest in turning the area around by the golf course, huge investment was put into that neighborhood, with Drew Charter being the number one investment. As they saw it (and I agree with), crime would never change without an investment in the neighborhood children. When the projects were rebuilt as mixed income housing, and the earlier residents were able to come back, they received first tier to the school, which represents the current demographic there now, especially in the older grades. As another poster said, as the area improves, the younger grades are becoming much more diverse. The turnaround in thAt area since the school was built is really amazinf, and i think the City of Atlanta should be taking note if they are trying to find the solution of cleaning up other areas of the city. The school has extended hours, and a huge amount of extracurricular activities for th students. It is one of the top rated schools in Georgia, and was recently recognized nationally as a "school to watch". It's really a great school in the city, and now that the high school is opening, it will be even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: