Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 17,505 times

Advertisements

Hi Georgians! I was recently offered a job by Delta as a pilot. I wanted to hear some thing from my Atlantans, as I was also offered a job by American Airlines in Miami. First off, is there a decent-sized population of Brazilians in Atlanta. I was born in Salvador, Brazil but I moved to Dallas when I was 15. Also, where are some socially-active areas for me to reside? I will only be working about 85 hours a month, so I would want somewhere with a lot of thing to do. Also, how would people's reaction be toward a foreigner? I moved here 11 years ago but I still have a DEEP accent. I can pay up to $2,300 a month on rent. Also, if race would matter, I am mixed. My mother is half white and Amerindian and my father is half black and white. Thanks!

Last edited by EduardoSilva; 04-25-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Atlanta is a transplant city so your ethnicity doesnt matter here

Midtown would be a great area for you to live in

Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta is a transplant city so your ethnicity doesnt matter here

Midtown would be a great area for you to live in
I saw that Atlanta has an extensive rail system called the MARTA. Would I need to bring my car?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
There are lots of brazilians here, seem to be a lot of Brazilian stores in the Marietta area.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSilva View Post
Hi Georgians! I was recently offered a job by Delta as a pilot. I wanted to hear some thing from my Atlantans, as I was also offered a job by American Airlines in Miami. First off, is there a decent-sized population of Brazilians in Atlanta. I was born in Salvador, Brazil but I moved to Dallas when I was 15. Also, where are some socially-active areas for me to reside? I will only be working about 85 hours a month, so I would want somewhere with a lot of thing to do. Also, how would people's reaction be toward a foreigner? I moved here 11 years ago but I still have a DEEP accent. I can pay up to $2,300 a month on rent. Also, if race would matter, I am mixed. My mother is half white and Amerindian and my father is half black and white. Thanks!
Living alone? I would definitely check out Midtown or Buckhead. You can rent a nice 2 bed 2 bath and the airport commute is a breeze (especially from Midtown).

There are only going to be a small fraction of the Brazilians here compared with Miami. No getting around that. The majority of the community in Atlanta lives on the Northwest side in Cobb County to my understanding. But that probably wouldn't be the most socially active area for you.

Being a foreigner of mixed race is no problem. That doesn't matter at all.

You'll want a car. But you won't need to drive it all the time; it's just way better to have one if you can afford it and are new in town.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
I saw that Atlanta has an extensive rail system called the MARTA. Would I need to bring my car?
Midtown has a Marta stop that will take you to the airport but it stops running at 1am

It depends on your lifestyle if you want to brung your car or not

Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
Quote:
I suggest you bring your car with you.

Accessibility to MARTA depends on where you live. Unfortunately, the MARTA rail system doesn't extend into the suburbs, thanks to a lack of funding from the state government. MARTA rail doesn't go far past Interstate 285, otherwise known as the "perimeter". The good news is that your budget will allow you to rent a nice apartment in the inner city neighborhoods of Atlanta, the area home to the bulk of the region's nightlife and the area with the highest accessibility to heavy rail. MARTA's red line ends directly at the airport. I recommend looking into Midtown, Inman Park, Westside, Old Fourth Ward and the city of Decatur.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Midtown has a Marta stop that will take you to the airport but it stops running at 1am

It depends on your lifestyle if you want to brung your car or not
So I will probably bring my car. Also, seeing as how Atlanta is mostly African-American, will females like me for me and not my skin tone. When I was in college, I dated a black girl from Atlanta. It really irked me out when she said that one of the reasons she dated me was so that if we got married, her kids would have nice hair and light skin. She ended up getting married to a guy from Norway about a year ago.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Midtown would be a great choice for you but I would also consider Vinings. Easy access to the airport, there are other pilots and flight attendants that live in the area and easy access to the 285 area where others have noted there is a decent Brazilian population.

I have met quite a few myself but most of them have not been here legally. I assume there are other professional Brazilians in the area as well.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,588 times
There are enough Brazilians here that I have known two people with the same full name as you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta