Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Possibly to late for the O4W bandwagon, I guess it depends on what kind of return you expect. Here's my amateur analysis:

White people
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Midtown
Grant Park
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Ormewood Park

Semi-scary
O4W
West Midtown (Knight Park)
Home Park
Castleberry Hill
Cabbagetown
Capitol Gateway

Scary
East Atlanta Village
West End
Edgewood
Kirkwood
Boulevard Crossing
Adair Park
SoNo

Super Scary
Summerhill
Reynoldstown
East Lake
Capitol View
Washington Park

**** get me out of here
English Ave
Vine City
Mechanicsville
Pittsburgh
Bankhead
You sound like a very scared person. That's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 AM

284 posts, read 590,804 times
Quote:
Possibly to late for the O4W bandwagon, I guess it depends on what kind of return you expect. Here's my amateur analysis:

White people
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Midtown
Grant Park
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Ormewood Park
on starting out with that list and that title. I shouldn't laugh but its true. Lived in several of those neighborhoods, choosing to leave when it got too yuppified.

But of course there is still some "scary" to the edges of Midtown, Candler, Ormewood, Grant Park no different than some of the 'hoods in your other categories.

----
back to the original post-

To the question of are people moving to West End and the surrounding neighborhoods... people have been moving there since the 1830s, so its always been a fairly dense/urban area with a mix of everything from small, post WWII housing to exquisite Queen Annes to more modern loft style condos and older apartments. Its not an empty wasteland of abandoned homes waiting to be snatched up cheap. There are several smaller neighborhoods where you can find pockets of that.

A big part of the equation is the type of investment you want. Quick Flipper/section 8 landlord opportunity ~ historic restoration/preservation ~ or just looking for an affordable home to live in that will rise in value as distressed areas stabilize / revitalize again.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:

White people
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Midtown
Grant Park
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Ormewood Park

Semi-scary
O4W
Home Park
Castleberry Hill
Cabbagetown
Capitol Gateway

Scary
East Atlanta Village
West End
Edgewood
Kirkwood
Boulevard Crossing
Adair Park
SoNo

Super Scary
Summerhill
Reynoldstown
East Lake
Capitol View
Washington Park

**** get me out of here
English Ave
Vine City
Mechanicsville
Pittsburgh
Bankhead
So you think Kirkwood and East Atlanta is worse than O4W, Home Park, and Capitol Gateway? And East Lake is Super Scary!? And I think quite a few black people still live in Grant Park. Where did you get this scale from? Hearsay or just riding through once or twice? And why is the best area just titled "White People"? White people live in many of the areas you call scary...

Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
And why is the best area just titled "White People"? White people live in many of the areas you call scary...
That's true. Cabbagetown, for example, is almost entirely white and always has been.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Actually larceny is the number one crime in the whole metro Atlanta area, and not just West End according the Atlanta police officer.
Oh I wasn't questioning anything you said....I was just joking about your reference to "visible electronics". I thought is sounded funny.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:

White people
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Midtown
Grant Park
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Ormewood Park

Semi-scary
O4W
Home Park
Castleberry Hill
Cabbagetown
Capitol Gateway

Scary
East Atlanta Village
West End
Edgewood
Kirkwood
Boulevard Crossing
Adair Park
SoNo

Super Scary
Summerhill
Reynoldstown
East Lake
Capitol View
Washington Park

**** get me out of here
English Ave
Vine City
Mechanicsville
Pittsburgh
Bankhead
You wanna know what Kirkwood is really like? read this article: The future of Pullman Yard | News Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM

183 posts, read 298,523 times
LMAO at East Atlanta Village being scary!!! Its farrrrr from that. But as for investment, I would definitely buy in the West End, Edgewood, the Capitol View area, and the areas around East Lake for sure. I'm not sure if you're actually wanting to live in these houses or not, but as for the West End area, I do love the area and do spend time there however, I'm not sure if I'd personally live there quite yet. I'd definitely buy up a house there, fix it up and rent it however as I do know that in the future, the return on investment on the property will be pretty high. But it's not a terrible neighborhood by any means and if I had to I'd be ok with living there, but there are still a couple of things I do not like about the neighborhood that would steer me away by choice and the crime is still a little on the high side over there as a whole. The other neighborhoods mentioned though, I'd live in

Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 15,459 times
Nanosolar,

That is a great analysis! It looks like the areas I am most interested in are in the "Scary" category. Does this mean that me, as a white guy, should be fearful just being in these neighbourhoods, or is it just bad if you live there?

I am really intending to rent out the houses until the market in these area picks up, then upgrade them and sell them.

thanks!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin123 View Post
Nanosolar,

That is a great analysis! It looks like the areas I am most interested in are in the "Scary" category. Does this mean that me, as a white guy, should be fearful just being in these neighbourhoods, or is it just bad if you live there?

I am really intending to rent out the houses until the market in these area picks up, then upgrade them and sell them.

thanks!
Most of the "scary" neighborhoods from that list are not actually scary...they are what I would call up and coming, although some of them are even a little above that designation.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Oh I wasn't questioning anything you said....I was just joking about your reference to "visible electronics". I thought is sounded funny.
Oh okay:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta