Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single 26 year old young professional who will be working in Milton, GA near Windward Pkwy beginning in August. I would like to find a 1 bedroom apartment that is located in an area where there are young professionals to socialize with, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. Here is some extra info:

Commute: I will need to be at work by 8 am. I will be leaving work around 4:30 pm. I would like to have easy access to GA 400, and I would like my commute to be around 30 min.
Price: I am able to spend about $800-$900 a month in rent.
Safety: Is a huge consideration for me. I would like a gated community.
Pet-Friendly: I have a small dog.

Thanks!

Last edited by Royal527; 05-21-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
You will have to live in Alpharetta or Roswell. Traffic is bad on 400 so you want to live close to your job.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Milton is a long haul from most of the areas where young professionals are congregating. It's a reverse commute, so you don't get he worst of traffic, but its still a ton of miles and $ in the fuel tank.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
You can try dunwoody (5) or buckhead (2). Those should be around 30 minutes to exit 11.

I lived off exit 8,11,12 while I was a YP years ago. One of my biggest regret!!!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I think you can live in Dunwoody. Look at the apartments in Perimeter Center. Lots of young adults there and if you shoot up Abernathy Road/Perimeter Center West to 400 and head north, most of the time you won't have much traffic. The hardest part of you commute will be getting to 400 and then depending where on Windward Pkwy when you get off of 400. Several times a year, I do some work off Windward and the commute heading up there isn't that bad. Coming home, can be a bit dicier but at 430, it generally will be fine.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal527 View Post
Hi,

I am a single 26 year old young professional who will be working in Milton, GA near Windward Pkwy beginning in August. I would like to find a 1 bedroom apartment that is located in an area where there are young professionals to socialize with, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. Here is some extra info:

Commute: I will need to be at work by 8 am. I will be leaving work around 4:30 pm. I would like to have easy access to GA 400, and I would like my commute to be around 30 min.
Price: I am able to spend about $800-$900 a month in rent.
Safety: Is a huge consideration for me. I would like a gated community.
Pet-Friendly: I have a small dog.

Thanks!
...Before looking anyplace else I would look for an apartment in the area where you will be working as there are dozens of apartments of varying price ranges in the area of Georgia 400 and Windward Parkway that would only be about 5 minutes or so from where you would be working.

There is particularly an abundance of affordable quality apartments along Morris Road and Deerfield Parkway north of Windward above Webb Road, many of them with security gates.

There is also a sizable cluster of affordable apartments along Cumming Street and Henderson Parkway west of Westside Parkway just below Windward Parkway.

The apartment area above Windward Parkway consists of newer apartments, lots of them with security gates.

While the apartment area below Windward Parkway consists of slightly older apartments which are pretty safe, but I'm not sure if any of them are gated.

There are numerous apartments of varying price ranges all over North Fulton above the Chattahoochee River so hopefully you should be able to find something you like within about 20 minutes or so within the vicinity of where you will be working at 400 & Windward.

And if by chance you cannot find or do not like anything in North Fulton above the Chattahoochee, there are tons more apartments of all price ranges in the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas above I-285.

Being near where young professionals socialize also should not be a problem if you live anywhere in North Fulton above I-285 as there is a major meetup group of North Fulton young professionals between ages 25-39 who frequently get together to socialize at spots all over North Fulton County.

The group is called the "North Fulton Young Professionals Group" and they get together frequently multiple times each month to socialize and network at multiple locations all over North Fulton County and even North Metro Atlanta depending on the activity.
North Fulton Young Professionals Social Group (Alpharetta, GA) - Meetup

I hope that you find what you are looking for and wish you the best of luck on your apartment search.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Lot's of young professionals live in Perimeter Center. Start there and use Promove.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM

259 posts, read 394,194 times
I am extrememly familiar with this commute because I worked near Windward Parkway. If I am not mistaken he is going to be working in the area near Deerfield Parkway area with all the office parks. The only bad part of that commute if you are coming from the city is getting on the ramp and getting off at exit 11. In the afternoon it is smooth sailing for most of the way if there no accident.

I lived in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs ( ITP Sandy Springs) at the time and my commute is never over 30 minutes if there isn't a bad accident. I'd say you can live as far south as Buckhead and Brookhaven and be near young people or at least close to the areas they hang out and not have a commute over 35 min tops. As I said the only thing that slows things up are accidents and getting on the ramp ( and exit 11), but you would not have to worry about that if you get on 400 before 285.

Last edited by Strangejelly; 05-22-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 AM

259 posts, read 394,194 times
Don't let anyone tell you to live 5 min from your job in a place like Alpharetta at the age twenty-freaking-six. That is terrible advice.

The vast majority of the people up there are married with families and at least 10-15 years older than you if that isn't the case. There are young people everywhere but be realistic, north Fulton is not the "hang out spot" for the majority of young people if they are over high school age.

What is going to happen is you will meet some people but you will wear out anything to do up there and not meet many more people your age. You be in Atlanta (ITP) just about every weekend and the friends you make up there likely wont feel like going all the way from North Fulton to Atlanta.

You may meet some young people who live in or close to the city and it will be a pain to hang out with them because of the commute. Are you a guy? Imagine trying to pick girls up on dates and making that commute, or if you are a girl convincing them to get you? They may try to meet you half way, but that is just a hassle. You will see your friends who live in or close to the city less and less as the commute intown wears on you and you make excuses as to why you don't want to hang out and they make excuses not to drive up 400 to see you. Don't do it.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Perimeter Center allows quick access to Atlanta (Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown) via MARTA. There are restaurants and bars in Perimeter Center that lots of YP hangout at. Go check out Tin Lizzy's at the SubTrust bank across from Perimeter Mall Friday nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta