Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I guess Kirkwood can put away all those We Support Coan yard signs now.
True this.

If they want Coan to succeed, a K-8 Toomer will not help (unless the K-8 model is a temporary solution to build neighborhood participation--with the ultimate goal of Toomer returning to a PreK-5 model and 6-8 returning back to Coan).

Or an even better solution? All elementary/middle schools in the Jackson Cluster becoming K-8...and all feeding into Jackson High for 9-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Great things going on at Toomer = more white kids. Gottcha - we know what you mean.
Look at it another way. Generally speaking, it does not speak well for a public school that more and more kids zoned for it have parents choosing to pay to go to a different school. Conversely, if more and more parents show enough confidence in school to move their kids there, that is a good thing.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
True this.

If they want Coan to succeed, a K-8 Toomer will not help (unless the K-8 model is a temporary solution to build neighborhood participation--with the ultimate goal of Toomer returning to a PreK-5 model and 6-8 returning back to Coan).

Or an even better solution? All elementary/middle schools in the Jackson Cluster becoming K-8...and all feeding into Jackson High for 9-12.
The issue with parents is the lack of stability at Coan. Its had several principals is as many years. Kids at Toomer leave the school before 5th grade, as soon as they are accepted at Drew Charter. By having Toomer go to a K-8, it will stabilize the school and give parents of Kirkwood and East Lake a good path to Jackson. We all know middle school is toughest years for kids and by keeping them at the same school it will reduce drop-out rates and keep kids in the local public schools.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The issue with parents is the lack of stability at Coan. Its had several principals is as many years. Kids at Toomer leave the school before 5th grade, as soon as they are accepted at Drew Charter. By having Toomer go to a K-8, it will stabilize the school and give parents of Kirkwood and East Lake a good path to Jackson. We all know middle school is toughest years for kids and by keeping them at the same school it will reduce drop-out rates and keep kids in the local public schools.
Why do you think that parents won't still be interested in Drew, especially now that it goes to 12th grade?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Why do you think that parents won't still be interested in Drew, especially now that it goes to 12th grade?
I'm sure some parents will still be interested.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
I'm sure some parents will still be interested.
Drew and Toomer have a completely different way of accomplishing a common mission for their students (the common mission being having academically and personally successful students). Drew is a charter school, and focuses on cradle to college through a STEAM curriculum, integrating the sciences, math, and engineering with the arts. This is and will continue to be appealing to parents regardless of what Toomer does, and is supported by Drew's high test scores compared to the city. Toomer is and will continue to improve greatly, but they are still a traditional public school. I think both will remain viable, and parents will choose where to send their kids based on which curriculum and atmosphere appeals most to them.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Kids at Toomer leave the school before 5th grade, as soon as they are accepted at Drew Charter. By having Toomer go to a K-8, it will stabilize the school and give parents of Kirkwood and East Lake a good path to Jackson. We all know middle school is toughest years for kids and by keeping them at the same school it will reduce drop-out rates and keep kids in the local public schools.
I don't think this is entirely true. I'm not sure that keeping students in the same building through middle school will make much of a difference in them choosing to stay or leave the traditional public school. Drew actually just separated their middle school from elementary, and put middle grades into the new high school. The transition from middle to high school is usually more difficult than from elementary to middle school, so I'm not sure keep a K-8 will make that much of a difference. If anything, students may now choose to move to a charter school for high school, especially if Jackson doesn't make some strides (although it looks like its moving towards that). Either way, Toomer will be successful, but I don't think it will have to do with them becoming K-8.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Drew and Toomer have a completely different way of accomplishing a common mission for their students (the common mission being having academically and personally successful students). Drew is a charter school, and focuses on cradle to college through a STEAM curriculum, integrating the sciences, math, and engineering with the arts. This is and will continue to be appealing to parents regardless of what Toomer does, and is supported by Drew's high test scores compared to the city. Toomer is and will continue to improve greatly, but they are still a traditional public school. I think both will remain viable, and parents will choose where to send their kids based on which curriculum and atmosphere appeals most to them.
I am guessing that the make up of the student population plays a big part in parents' decisions. And I am not talking race, but class and parental education level. Should be interesting (at least to me, an ed policy person) to watch.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I don't think this is entirely true. I'm not sure that keeping students in the same building through middle school will make much of a difference in them choosing to stay or leave the traditional public school. Drew actually just separated their middle school from elementary, and put middle grades into the new high school. The transition from middle to high school is usually more difficult than from elementary to middle school, so I'm not sure keep a K-8 will make that much of a difference. If anything, students may now choose to move to a charter school for high school, especially if Jackson doesn't make some strides (although it looks like its moving towards that). Either way, Toomer will be successful, but I don't think it will have to do with them becoming K-8.
There is research to prove it.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
There is research to prove it.
What does that research say, I haven't seen it? Educational research looks a lot at teacher and student self-efficacy, environmental factors, curriculum design (Problem Based Learning, Project Based Learning, Lecture based, cross-discipline), etc. etc. I think a lot of what research is showing is that school environment is what has a greater affect on the transition into or out of middle grades, not necessarily showing that elementary/middle or middle/high is a better approach. For example, if you go from a colorful, creative elementary school classroom to a bland, lecture based middle school classroom, it is going to be hard on the student, regardless of if they are in the same building or not.

I also work in educational research, but school transition isn't a focus of mine - haven't done much with it. If you have research (aka peer reviewed articles, not newspaper) that compare elementary/middle schools vs middle/high schools, and don't take into account things like self-efficacy and classroom environment being a main contributor to student retention and success, I'd be interested in seeing it. Maybe lastminutemom has more experience with her area in educational policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta