Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
LOL... It's also uphill from Civic Center to SunTrust Plaza.
Peachtree Center station is just as close, if not closer anyway, if you use the correct exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I know for Suntrust employees they have to pay, I believe they said the monthly rate was in the $120-130 range. Still a lot more than the $0 a month at Wildwood.
You can hunt around in that area and find "bargain" parking for about $80-$100 per month. I used to work near the SunTrust building. I don't remember hourly parking, but probably lucky to score less than $10 per day (no events days). For me anyway, I mostly used MARTA to get there and it was overall a better deal in case of conventions going on.

Also, I would also consider the location to be Downtown, though a good solid block or 2 of walking to the beginning of Midtown just north. I think "The Heart of Downtown" is more like the Five Points MARTA area.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
I know for Suntrust employees they have to pay, I believe they said the monthly rate was in the $120-130 range. Still a lot more than the $0 a month at Wildwood.
I'm surprised the company doesn't spring for employee parking. Is that common these days?

I know our people would have gone berserk about that. We paid 75% of the parking costs, which made their portion pretty nominal, but I always feel like everybody should have some skin in the game.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Or $85 bucks for 40 MARTA trips. Probably cheaper than the cost for a lot of the folks to drive to Wildwood.

But even better than that, sell their current place and buy some where like a brand new unit in the Twelve Centennial Condos for $100k and walk the two blocks for free.
Except that most probably would have to drive further just to get to a MARTA station they can park at vs. driving to Wildwood.

Also pretty much anyone who has purchased a house since about 2005 or 2006 is probably at best breaking even and I bet many are underwater so just selling and moving into a tiny azz apartment in town probably isn't feasible(or even something most people want to do).

Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm surprised the company doesn't spring for employee parking. Is that common these days?

I know our people would have gone berserk about that. We paid 75% of the parking costs, which made their portion pretty nominal, but I always feel like everybody should have some skin in the game.
I don't know, I do have some other friends that don't have free employee parking in Midtown/Downtown and the MARTA monthly rate went up enough that they started driving last year.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I do have some other friends that don't have free employee parking in Midtown/Downtown and the MARTA monthly rate went up enough that they started driving last year.
I remember reading somewhere that the actual cost to Breeze card customers is only about 50 cents per ride.

That's pretty cheap considering you can go from North Springs to Bankhead and then cruise on down to the airport.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Quote:
Also pretty much anyone who has purchased a house since about 2005 or 2006 is probably at best breaking even and I bet many are underwater so just selling and moving into a tiny azz apartment in town probably isn't feasible(or even something most people want to do).
<- Bought in 2009, sold last year for 18% more than purchased for. But it was a "tiny azz" condo in town.

You can choose the suburban lifestyle if that is what you want (Not that there is any problem with that, it has its benefits), but you are going to have to realize that in most cases it going to cost you more to commute and take you longer to commute.

The downtown office location is a more central location for workers in the metro region as a whole, offers very competitive rent, good amenities, good transportation access, and all around a smart move for Coke or most any other company.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Quote:
The monthly rate went up disproportionately to the fare. I did the math somewhere once, but the monthly fare used to be equal to 40 rides bought in packs of 20. Now it's equal to ~45 rides, which means you have to use it more than 10x/week for it to pencil out.

Massively stupid move by MARTA. A monthly pass should cost about 36-38 rides: a slight discount over buying single fares for a 5x/week RT commute to work. This will encourage ridership on the margin, and lead to higher overall revenue.

I highly doubt 45 fares is the revenue-maximizing amount for a monthly pass in a commuter-oriented system.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Coca-Cola?s new IT division office (SLIDESHOW) - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Thanks, jsvh.

Nice to see that these folks have gotten over their fear factor. Most of the negative perceptions about downtown just don't pan out in reality.

Quote:
But Andrew Currie, director of change implementation and communication for Coca-Cola’s Global IT and Global Business Services, said there was quite a bit of skepticism on the part of some employees to move to the downtown office building. “The fear factor was pretty high about going downtown,” he said.

About half of the employees had been working out the company’s Wildwood offices in Cobb County.

Currie said he just asked employees to keep an open mind.

“We had to create a space that really welcomed people,” Currie said. “It certainly is working out really well. Now looking back, people love this space. It is such a light and open space.”

Coca-Cola?s new IT division office (SLIDESHOW) - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta