Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 AM

17 posts, read 35,977 times

Advertisements

quoted post removed

Atlanta is a very segregated city, so interracial dating may not be easy to do. When I was there I noticed that most people (outside of work) only associated with others who shared their same racial/ethnic background.

In major cities, you see a variety of different people hanging out, but seriously, not so in Atlanta.

The one good thing about Atl is the international airport (which will allow you to travel anywhere in the world, to meet all sorts of interesting people).

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-08-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,751 times
Based on the number of weddings and engagements that I have seen lately, I don't think that marriage is impossible for Black women and men. I think that part of the issue is that some may actually miss opportunities when they present themselves.

What I noticed in my single days is that even some business or networking-type of events had a tendency to turn into glorified meat markets at times. The problem with that is that singles would tend to walk into the spot with their guard up and their "representative" on full display. On the other hand, when you just happen to meet someone in a more casual setting (standing in line at a store, in a class, at an organization meeting, out running errands, etc.), things tend to flow more naturally since in most cases you didn't walk out of the house with the intention of trying to impress someone on that level. My wife and I meet while we were both taking classes after work. Since we both came in after long days at the office and were focused on trying to get through another night of school, neither of us were on the prowl. We struck up a conversation and the rest is history. That's a much different scenario that being at some club where someone might expect you to buy them a drink or two before you even get their name :lol:

Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Bear2312 View Post
Atlanta is a very segregated city, so interracial dating may not be easy to do. When I was there I noticed that most people (outside of work) only associated with others who shared their same racial/ethnic background.

In major cities, you see a variety of different people hanging out, but seriously, not so in Atlanta.

The one good thing about Atl is the international airport (which will allow you to travel anywhere in the world, to meet all sorts of interesting people).
False. By your standards of segregation every major city in the country ia segregated. Look at the segregation maps that was posted on here regarding major US cities and you will see that Atlanta is the least segregated. Stats and a report posted on here a few months ago state the same thing. Real segregation is in NYC, Chicago and LA.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
That's great, but it's not good to ignore the high incarcerations rate among black males as well as the fact that black women are going to college at about twice the rate of black men. I am sorry you find that offensive, but I'd rather acknowledge a issue than ignore it. I hate how the system is against them.

Knowing that, it is silly for them to only seek out black men as the system is not on their side based on the statistics. It is wise for them to be open to date outside their race. When most educated black people are women, it is nonsense to expect them to only date black men.
When I lived in Atlanta, I rarely saw black women dating non black men. I did however see a number of black guys with non black women.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM

259 posts, read 394,069 times
Quote:

You didn't get out much. I see plenty of interracial friends hanging out, especially among younger people.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM

259 posts, read 394,069 times
Quote:
When I lived in Atlanta, I rarely saw black women dating non black men. I did however see a number of black guys with non black women.
I am trying to figure out your point here?

Didn't just saying in another post that interracial dating would be hard because you never saw it, but now you say you see plenty of black guys with non black women?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Mia23456 View Post
I constantly hear that Atlanta is the "black mecca," but it certainly doesn't seem like the black dating mecca. Are there plenty of suitable dating options for professional black women?

Honestly in the good ole U.S. of A. there is no such thing as a "black mecca", therefore the Atlanta dating scene for black men and women is no different than any other city with a like type demographic. I have many female friends sprinkled around the country, and a few who live in London and I hear the same thing. "There are not enough good black men here"! In NYC, DC, Baltimore, L.A., Chicago, Atlanta...etc...etc...etc...

I am a "professional" black man who has primarily dated all type of professional woman from MBAs to PHDs to MDs to JDs to blah blah blah blah blah blah, and what I find that just because a person looks good on paper doesn't make them a suitable mate. Instead of an impressive resume, the focus should be on a good heart and positive energy.

Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Also, as far as finding professional black men for the number of professional black women that is a issue everywhere.

The best way professional black women to resolve their dating issue is

1. Date outside your race.
In Atlanta, this is often difficult, because most men and women of various ethnic groups tend to associate only with others of the same ethnic/racial group outside of work.

Quote:
2. Date good black men who aren't what you consider "professional" but have decent jobs and goals.

That's an option, but the person has to be prepared to encounter a number of conflicts. A man who works in maintenance or as a store clerk, will not (usually) have a lot in common w/ an attorney, executive or physician. This is just common sense. I'm not saying that it can't work out, but usually, it will not, because professional people often enjoy doing things that many non professionals may not enjoy. More than likely she will be interested in eating healthy foods, museums, reading, vacationing around the world, learning a new language, and residing in a more affluent community. The non professional guy may view these activities as "bourgeoisie" and become easily offended.

Also, he may dislike the fact that she makes substantially more than him. I don’t think many guys would have an issue with a woman earning 10K or so more than them, but if her salary was 100K or more, many would have serious issues w/ this.

Quote:

3. Date older black men ready to settle.
Young women typically prefer men who are of a similar age range. Most young women do not want someone older, unless they are substantially wealthy, or have some other great attribute. I'm just being honest.

Quote:
4. Redefine or reevaluate your standards to see how important they are.
Lowering your standards may not be such a good idea, because then you are settling for something less than what you want and you may become very unhappy with your decision.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I am trying to figure out your point here?

Didn't just saying in another post that interracial dating would be hard because you never saw it, but now you say you see plenty of black guys with non black women?
To clarify, yes, it's rare, but on the few occasions that I spotted interracial dating, it was usually black men with non black women. Note that the couples were usually older (mid 40s or so). Rarely did I see young interracial couples out and about in Atlanta...

Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
NOTE:

The 1st post contains the topic. The topic is not about incarceration rates among races, crime rates, etc. Postings that stray from the topic will be removed.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta