Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That depends if it mirrors the national trend. The median age is rising and most crime is done by young males. So it could be that nothing in particular is different and the police are enjoying the result of the changing demographics.
There are more "young males" today than in the 1990s and fewer violent crimes. So while it's true that shifting demographics can affect rate statistics, the overall numbers don't lie.

MURDERS
1999: 143
2011: 88

RAPES
1999: 321
2011: 148

ROBBERIES
1999: 4,072
2011: 2,343

ASSAULTS:
1999: 6,690
2011: 3,518
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,255,296 times
Do keep in mind that there are less murders nowadays partially due to the fact that trauma/triage units are a lot better equipped to handle gun injuries than they were in the 1980's and 1990's due to the advances made in the medical field.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Do keep in mind that there are less murders nowadays partially due to the fact that trauma/triage units are a lot better equipped to handle gun injuries than they were in the 1980's and 1990's due to the advances made in the medical field.
It's not just murders. It's all violent crime.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,244,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
The research is clear that a mentor can make an enormous difference. See Mercy Street in Dallas and Urban Promise in Camden NJ. I am certain there are organizations that facilitate mentorship in Atlanta. If you are concerned and want to make a difference start there.
Good idea. I need to get back into that.

I worked through my former college to do it in the past. Does anybody have any experience working with organizations that provide mentors? Would love some suggestions.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,790,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

I worked through my former college to do it in the past. Does anybody have any experience working with organizations that provide mentors? Would love some suggestions.
Years ago I mentored with YES! Atlanta. They are still around, but don't know much about them now.

Volunteer mentoring & tutoring | at-risk youth

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM

368 posts, read 539,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
And yes, crime has decreased in Atlanta, but partially because a lot of the crime was pushed out into the suburbs when the housing projects were torn down and you had lots of people who moved down here with their issues from wherever they came from.
This myth is often repeated, but it's been disproven time and time again.
PolitiFact Georgia | Are former Atlanta tenants flooding the suburbs?
Where Does Crime Go After Public Housing Projects Are Demolished? - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities
"The crime, in other words, didn’t just relocate. Much of it disappeared."

Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
Quote:

Yes - The Boys and Girls Club. Incredible organization.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,149 times
more citizens are "carrying" that means gun permits are @ an all time hi due to people that try to rob in full daylight & "they" now realize that the "good guys" are armed!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,790,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajoe View Post
more citizens are "carrying" that means gun permits are @ an all time hi due to people that try to rob in full daylight & "they" now realize that the "good guys" are armed!
...or maybe --despite the most sensational news of crimes being played non-stop by the press, and class-warfare being played up by politicians and talking heads--life has improved for the poorest Americans to the point that they are more invested in society--so there is less crime. That is, things are getting better.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Nobody is doing anything because if you are black and say something you are a sell out, and if you are white you are a racist.

What should be done? I honestly have no clue. You cannot really make somebody be a father. This situation has been worse in the black community. But eventually whites are going to be affected. The high divorce rates, out of wedlock births, etc. have all decreased wealth creation. You do not really see newer money families creating generational wealth because those people are divorcing at high rates. In families with generational wealth the first generations were not divorcing. Second, third, and fourth generations have divorced but the effects are less than when new middle/upper income families divorce because inheritance is separate property that is not split in divorce proceedings(as long as you keep it as separate property, and in most generational families it is in trust so it is pretty hard to commingle). The black community has been hit very hard by divorce and the destruction of wealth. Blacks had just started establishing wealth when the "divorce revolution" began. The "no-fault" divorce concept has really hurt the family unit and economic conditions.

Whites and Blacks have to start looking at Asians, because they are the people who are creating wealth. Then go lookup the Asian divorce rate.
Hmmm...this is the first time I've ever heard divorce mentioned as a factor within this context. That's interesting; I'll have to research this further.

Quote:

Big Brothers Big Sisters for sure. I was a Big when I lived in Charlotte and it was a rewarding experience. I need to pick that back up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: