Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:26 AM

9 posts, read 17,644 times

Advertisements

My 12 year old son has Aspergers and we are in the process of finding him placement within the Atlanta Public School system. We just had his first IEP meeting and the staff is trying to find an appropriate place for him. He needs a self contained class room with one on one instruction (or nearly one on one). His past catagory of service was EBD but we're getting it revised to Autism/OHI. His private school with a four to one ratio closed just this summer. There have to be other kids who have high functioning autism who go to Atlanta Public Schools! Not all parents can afford private school. Where are middle school students being placed when there are emotional, behavioral needs, as well as, sensory and gifted/high IQ needs which need to be met? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
The state of Georgia runs a program where children with special needs can get a scholarship to go to private schools or can transfer to another public school district within the state that offers the assistance that that child needs.

Here is a link for more information: Special Needs Scholarship Program

I would look into the program if you haven't already. Also, I find, as an APS parent that the administration staff are not always helpful at times. My child does not have special needs and I have had to...go at it with them a few times in the past until we started at the current charter school my child attends.

I hope you are able to find a good school for your son.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM

550 posts, read 989,997 times
I don't know, but if he has qualifying scores the Davidson Institute Young Scholar's program can help with advocacy.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM

Also check out Wrightslaw website and the book From Emotions to Advocacy.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The state of Georgia runs a program where children with special needs can get a scholarship to go to private schools or can transfer to another public school district within the state that offers the assistance that that child needs.

Here is a link for more information: Special Needs Scholarship Program

I would look into the program if you haven't already. Also, I find, as an APS parent that the administration staff are not always helpful at times. My child does not have special needs and I have had to...go at it with them a few times in the past until we started at the current charter school my child attends.

I hope you are able to find a good school for your son.
The child wasn't enrolled in public school last year, they won't be eligible for the program you referenced.

I don't have a ton of advice-- have you reached out to the local support groups to see what other parents are experiencing?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM

This forum could be helpful:
Twice Exceptional - Gifted Issues Discussion Forum

Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Ah yes, the SB-10! No, we did not qualify at the private school which closed because he couldn't make it through the entire 5th grade...his placement was THAT bad (EBD self contained). So we pulled him out and put him into the private therapeutic school. Now that it's closed, similar options are too costly. We have to make it through at least this year of public school to get the SB-10 scholarship for his remaining schooling, we simply can't afford private rates of nearly 28,000 a year (scholarship help would hopefully bring it back down to the 20 range). Plan B would be to use a cyber academy (GA public) and home school him. This, however, doesn't help him deal with his social interactions and attacking his anxiety, shuttering him in a home learning environment. It's just so hard to believe there are no children like mine being educated within the Atlanta Public School system (High IQ, anxiety, ADHD, Aspergers, emotional regulation problems). I don't mind driving him where ever placement might be. In the IEP meeting yesterday they acted like they had no idea where they could serve him. Blank stares and "we have to make some phone calls". Schools started and I'm still waiting to hear something! The good news is I DO have an advocate working with me and she's very good.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Oh, and I DO have the "From Emotions to Advocacy" book and am reading it now.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,148,939 times
Hubbie teaches in aps so i'll ask him. Ur advocate cannot give u the info u need? I'd hold his/her feet to the fire until I got info.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
I would guess that there aren't many children like your son in APS. For the most part, kids who need high level instruction are not well accommodated in small public school settings in secondary school. Most middle school special ed teachers are not certified in multiple content areas and therefore, would struggle to teach certain subjects. More and more special ed students are forced into inclusion settings, whether or not it is a good fit.

One thought -- I wonder if the system would embrace you using a cyber class situation within a traditional school. This way the level of instruction might be appropriate but he would be afforded the opportunity for structured social interactions during electives, for example, and it would solve the school avoidance issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: