Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times

Advertisements

What can be done to improve metro Atlanta's ailing public school systems? Specifically Dekalb and Fulton Counties... even APS? There seems to be a bit of disparity between the north and south sides or both counties. What can be done to equalize and bolster public education... or are you an advocate of complete privatization? Please be specific...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Parental involvement which will improve schools regardless of racial and socio-economic differences. Take a look at DeKalb's theme schools (Marbut, Bouie, etc) nearly 100 percent minority have relatively high (though not for DeKalb) poverty levels. These schools consistently outscore both the system (not saying much) and the state. They also really outscore the surrounding schools which is notable since the students much live in those schools neighborhoods to attend these schools. (Theme schools were built to relieve overcrowding at specific schools, so only students from those schools can attend these schools.)

Parents have to opt in for their children and then must do at least 12 volunteer hours a year (I think it is much more) and there is a very strict uniform code and tons of homework. These schools, though, aren't for everyone as the teaching styles are quite rigid and not very creative.

Simply dropping a child off at a school, even a good one, isn't enough. Dr. Lewis of DeKalb has really been preaching this message for the last couple of months. You can take your poor student, who is also poorly behaved, and put him at the best school and he will still be a poor students who is poorly behaved.

Among some cultures, education is not valued. Among most parents today, there is a desire for little Johnny an little Jane to feel good about themselves regardless of whether they deserve to. My friends in S. DeKalb say there is a tremendous amount of concern about self-esteem and not enough concern about academics. I recently met a principal who told me he couldn't get students to do homework. On the Northside, these kids seem to flunk out.

Parental involvement is the key along with high parental expectations.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 10-22-2008 at 04:45 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 05:32 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
nothing, i blame the parents

Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Parental involvement which will improve schools regardless of racial and socio-economic differences. Take a look at DeKalb's theme schools (Marbut, Bouie, etc) nearly 100 percent minority have relatively high (though not for DeKalb) poverty levels. These schools consistently outscore both the system (not saying much) and the state. They also really outscore the surrounding schools which is notable since the students much live in those schools neighborhoods to attend these schools. (Theme schools were built to relieve overcrowding at specific schools, so only students from those schools can attend these schools.)

Parents have to opt in for their children and then must do at least 12 volunteer hours a year (I think it is much more) and there is a very strict uniform code and tons of homework. These schools, though, aren't for everyone as the teaching styles are quite rigid and not very creative.

Simply dropping a child off at a school, even a good one, isn't enough. Dr. Lewis of DeKalb has really been preaching this message for the last couple of months. You can take your poor student, who is also poorly behaved, and put him at the best school and he will still be a poor students who is poorly behaved.

Among some cultures, education is not valued. Among most parents today, there is a desire for little Johnny an little Jane to feel good about themselves regardless of whether they deserve to. My friends in S. DeKalb say there is a tremendous amount of concern about self-esteem and not enough concern about academics. I recently met a principal who told me he couldn't get students to do homework. On the Northside, these kids seem to flunk out.

Parental involvement is the key along with high parental expectations.
good points...

Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
nothing, i blame the parents
^ Yeah, no kidding, I'm tired of hearing 'How do we improve the schools?'

How about 'How do parents improve themselves?', and then 'How do parents improve their kids?'. That might trickle down into ' How do we improve elected officials?', and then you might NOT HAVE TO ASK, 'How to we get accreditation back?'

Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
^ Yeah, no kidding, I'm tired of hearing 'How do we improve the schools?'

How about 'How do parents improve themselves?', and then 'How do parents improve their kids?'. That might trickle down into ' How do we improve elected officials?', and then you might NOT HAVE TO ASK, 'How to we get accreditation back?'
In that case, how do we increase parental involvement? How to get parents to invest in their children's education?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
In that case, how do we increase parental involvement? How to get parents to invest in their children's education?
Tell them that for every D or F their kid receives, they have to spend a week in jail, in the same cell as their dumb a$$ kid.

Sounds harsh, but I bet it would work.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Tell them that for every D or F their kid receives, they have to spend a week in jail, in the same cell as their dumb a$$ kid.

Sounds harsh, but I bet it would work.
How do we get schools to enforce harsh penalties? In many schools, a students has to almost literally kill someone to be expelled? The parents vehemently rebel what does not constitute as sliding their kid by. It's everybody else's fault but their child's...

And since you mentioned it, how to get legislation passed to jail the parents of failing kids?

Needless to say, it would be pandemonium. So what would really work?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
How do we get schools to enforce harsh penalties? In many schools, a students has to almost literally kill someone to be expelled? The parents vehemently rebel what does not constitute as sliding their kid by. It's everybody else's fault but their child's...

And since you mentioned it, how to get legislation passed to jail the parents of failing kids?

Needless to say, it would be pandemonium. So what would really work?
Nothing is ever going to really work. It's a lost cause. Life isn't tought enough for dumb a$$es. Once it become that way, maybe it'll change.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Nothing is ever going to really work. It's a lost cause. Life isn't tought enough for dumb a$$es. Once it become that way, maybe it'll change.
So you are saying that there's nothing that can be done and we should just give up on education period? In other words, let an entire generation degenerate into lawless ignorance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: