Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM

17 posts, read 26,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
They aren't mislead, they are stupid.

If you are right why is Pinewood spending millions of dollars to come here then?
Because in 4-5 years time they will make their money back. Also, not sure if you are aware, but these sound stages are being built/subsidized with our tax dollars (I know the owner of the covington studio, all the money is being fronted by the county)

I think the Pinewood studio will be here for a long time, at least 10 years. But what about screen gems and all the major studios in north carolina? A lot of them will probably be shutting down now.

Soundstages are essentially glorified warehouses, and they can be sold/repurposed. I think our very own screen gems lot used to be a flea market or something similar.

People here just have to remember, those tax incentives are the reason for studios coming here, and they will not last forever.

EDIT: Now after tax incentives leave, we'll still have films and shows being shot here, just not major tentpoles. Before the tax incentives we had crew and resources here, due to Turner, CNN, etc. But many of the crew here from the post-2009 film boom have emigrated to georgia from OUT OF STATE believe it or not. They pack their bags, bring their families to where the work is. And if Texas is dominating in 10 years you can bet they'll pack up and move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,999,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce2 View Post
Because in 4-5 years time they will make their money back. Also, not sure if you are aware, but these sound stages are being built/subsidized with our tax dollars (I know the owner of the covington studio, all the money is being fronted by the county)

I think the Pinewood studio will be here for a long time, at least 10 years. But what about screen gems and all the major studios in north carolina? A lot of them will probably be shutting down now.

Soundstages are essentially glorified warehouses, and they can be sold/repurposed. I think our very own screen gems lot used to be a flea market or something similar.

People here just have to remember, those tax incentives are the reason for studios coming here, and they will not last forever.

EDIT: Now after tax incentives leave, we'll still have films and shows being shot here, just not major tentpoles. Before the tax incentives we had crew and resources here, due to Turner, CNN, etc. But many of the crew here from the post-2009 film boom have emigrated to georgia from OUT OF STATE believe it or not. They pack their bags, bring their families to where the work is. And if Texas is dominating in 10 years you can bet they'll pack up and move there.
How old are you? 12? Ten years is not "a long time." LOL! But even so, Pinewood is here to stay. They would not be investing MILLIONS of $$ in Georgia to build their first U.S. studio if it were only temporary. They were attracted to Georgia by more than just tax incentives. They saw a real opportunity to have a U.S. presence outside the shadow of Hollywood. and will establish training and education programs to build a skilled permanent workforce.

Have you seen the plans for Pinewood? They're building what will eventually be the largest film and television studio in the nation outside of California --- BIGGER THAN PARAMOUNT!

THIS IS NOT "TEMPORARY" ....

Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
How old are you? 12? Ten years is not "a long time." LOL! But even so, Pinewood is here to stay. They would not be investing MILLIONS of $$ in Georgia to build their first U.S. studio if it were only temporary. They were attracted to Georgia by more than just tax incentives. They saw a real opportunity to have a U.S. presence outside the shadow of Hollywood. and will establish training and education programs to build a skilled permanent workforce.

Have you seen the plans for Pinewood? They're building what will eventually be the largest film and television studio in the nation outside of California --- BIGGER THAN PARAMOUNT!

THIS IS NOT "TEMPORARY" ....
LOL. You are so naive. What is it you do in the film industry again? How many years of experience do you have?

You realize they said the same exact things in Vancouver, Michigan, and now North Carolina?

Even with Pinewood, the atlanta film industry is peanuts compared to NYC and LA. But if it makes you feel any better, go right ahead and believe everything you read.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
LOL. You are so naive. What is it you do in the film industry again? How many years of experience do you have?

You realize they said the same exact things in Vancouver, Michigan, and now North Carolina?

Even with Pinewood, the atlanta film industry is peanuts compared to NYC and LA. But if it makes you feel any better, go right ahead and believe everything you read.
I have a lot more experience than you ...

Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I have a lot more experience than you ...
Lol. What's your name? What do you do? If you've been in the atl film scene for a while I probably already know you

Last edited by ponce2; 09-05-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Lol. What's your name? What do you do? If you've been in the atl film scene for a while I probably already know you
Probably not. I don't hang out with production assistants ...

Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Probably not. I don't hang out with production assistants ...
Dude, this would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. You have no idea who I am, and I doubt you even work in the industry. Seeing that you live in Savannah is indication enough that you probably don't know a whole lot about film

Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Dude, this would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. You have no idea who I am, and I doubt you even work in the industry. Seeing that you live in Savannah is indication enough that you probably don't know a whole lot about film
Dude, I just left the Pinewood construction site in Fayetteville. I can post a photo if you like. You don't know ANYTHING about me. You sound like some kid who's been paid to hold a walkie talkie and hold back crowds or run coffee for higher ups and now "think" you work in "film." Real industry professionals aren't so obviously smitten ... or arrogant. Talk about pathetic.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,381,948 times
What about the "Single Ladies" show is that coming back?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Dude, I just left the Pinewood construction site in Fayetteville. I can post a photo if you like. You don't know ANYTHING about me. You sound like some kid who's been paid to hold a walkie talkie and hold back crowds or run coffee for higher ups and now "think" you work in "film." Real industry professionals aren't so obviously smitten ... or arrogant. Talk about pathetic.
Ah, so you work in construction. Cool. You also don't know ANYTHING about me. I've directed several national spots, documentary features, and shorts in multiple countries. Just online my work has over 11 million views. But that's cool, you're building a soundstage so you're clearly more successful.

My argument this entire time has been that Georgia is not a place for above the line work, and the big feature boom is only temporary. I moved to LA because that's where they hire all the keys and creatives. Anyway, cheers

EDIT: "Real industry professionals" don't see Georgia as anything other than a temporary tax-break production haven. Seriously, come out to LA and bring up the georgia film industry to anybody. You're kidding yourself dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta