Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce2 View Post
Ah, so you work in construction. Cool. You also don't know ANYTHING about me. I've directed several national spots, documentary features, and shorts in multiple countries. Just online my work has over 11 million views. But that's cool, you're building a soundstage so you're clearly more successful.

My argument this entire time has been that Georgia is not a place for above the line work, and the big feature boom is only temporary. I moved to LA because that's where they hire all the keys and creatives. Anyway, cheers

EDIT: "Real industry professionals" don't see Georgia as anything other than a temporary tax-break production haven. Seriously, come out to LA and bring up the georgia film industry to anybody. You're kidding yourself dude
I work in construction? LOL! You're arrogance is appalling. My screename should give it away ... but if not, maybe this will help:

Quoting Pinewood-Shepperton's VP for Operations Brian Cooper:

"An important aspect of the overall project, and one that has been stressed from the beginning, is the educational component designed to provide skills and training to the large and varied workforce that will fill the employment ranks of the various companies that are expected to move into the area."

“We will need a skilled labor force that will run the gamut,” Cooper said in terms of the various types of jobs that will be needed. “That’s why we need to look at a number of schools, to train the next generation in this industry.”

As the studio grows, a variety of types of vendors serving the industry will call Pinewood Atlanta Studios home.

“This operation will bring a lot of people to the community,” Cooper said, citing post-production companies as an example. “There is nearly no post-production done [now] in Georgia. Most of it is done in California. This is a highly technical, specific industry. And some of them will come here to teach Georgia residents.”

So you clearly know NOT A DAMN THING about the Pinewood project, the people and money behind it, Pinewood Shepperton's long-range plans for investment in Georgia OR the educational component that they are building to establish a permanent, skilled workforce that can produce film and television projects from concept to completion WITHOUT LEAVING GEORGIA! They want NOTHING to do with the California entertainment establishment or else they would have made a presence there before now.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-05-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM

17 posts, read 26,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I work in construction? LOL! You're arrogance is appalling. My screename should give it away ... but if not, maybe this will help:

Quoting Pinewood-Shepperton's VP for Operations Brian Cooper:

"An important aspect of the overall project, and one that has been stressed from the beginning, is the educational component designed to provide skills and training to the large and varied workforce that will fill the employment ranks of the various companies that are expected to move into the area."

“We will need a skilled labor force that will run the gamut,” Cooper said in terms of the various types of jobs that will be needed. “That’s why we need to look at a number of schools, to train the next generation in this industry.”

As the studio grows, a variety of types of vendors serving the industry will call Pinewood Atlanta Studios home.

“This operation will bring a lot of people to the community,” Cooper said, citing post-production companies as an example. “There is nearly no post-production done [now] in Georgia. Most of it is done in California. This is a highly technical, specific industry. And some of them will come here to teach Georgia residents.”

So you clearly know NOT A DAMN THING about the Pinewood project, the people and money behind it, Pinewood Shepperton's long-range plans for investment in Georgia OR the educational component that they are building to establish a permanent, skilled workforce that can produce film and television projects from concept to completion WITHOUT LEAVING GEORGIA! They want NOTHING to do with the California entertainment establishment or else they would have made a presence there before now.
Cool. That's a lot of talk. Let me know when a big post house moves to Atlanta. Or a big production company. Or a big producer. Or a big director. Rather than the opposite, the draining of creative talent leaving Atlanta to LA (all of the big name writers/directors from georgia live where? I'll give you one guess)

This is all pipe dream stuff. It's been tried in many different places. If you knew your history, you'd know that Vancouver is one of the biggest outsources for post work in Hollywood. Guess what happened recently? No more tax incentives, no more post work. I don't know why you think Atlanta will be any different.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Cool. That's a lot of talk. Let me know when a big post house moves to Atlanta. Or a big production company. Or a big producer. Or a big director. Rather than the opposite, the draining of creative talent leaving Atlanta to LA (all of the big name writers/directors from georgia live where? I'll give you one guess)

This is all pipe dream stuff. It's been tried in many different places. If you knew your history, you'd know that Vancouver is one of the biggest outsources for post work in Hollywood. Guess what happened recently? No more tax incentives, no more post work. I don't know why you think Atlanta will be any different.
Vancouver never had a name like Pinewood Shepperton investing in the industry there. No city or state that's offered incentives has EVER had a name like Pinewood-Shepperton ... or anything close to Pinewood-Shepperton. THAT is why Atlanta is different.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 PM

283 posts, read 360,593 times
Quote:
EDIT: "Real industry professionals" don't see Georgia as anything other than a temporary tax-break production haven. Seriously, come out to LA and bring up the georgia film industry to anybody. You're kidding yourself dude
I agree. I work in the industry locally (although my job isn't directly related to production) and anyone who thinks Atlanta is going to takeover Hollywood in the next few years is mistaken. Sure, as long as the tax credits hold up it's a good production area but nothing permanent.

Most of what I find hindering this (besides instability with things like tax credits) is on the talent relocation -- it's like pulling teeth to try and get people to relocate from NYC or LA to Atlanta. You can glorify Atlanta all you want, but to the majority of people in CA or NYC, Atlanta is not a place for creatives, actors, etc. -- it's way too country bumpkin for that. Now, actually being here isn't bad, but it's the perception people have whether you like it or not.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 AM

17 posts, read 26,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I agree. I work in the industry locally (although my job isn't directly related to production) and anyone who thinks Atlanta is going to takeover Hollywood in the next few years is mistaken. Sure, as long as the tax credits hold up it's a good production area but nothing permanent.

Most of what I find hindering this (besides instability with things like tax credits) is on the talent relocation -- it's like pulling teeth to try and get people to relocate from NYC or LA to Atlanta. You can glorify Atlanta all you want, but to the majority of people in CA or NYC, Atlanta is not a place for creatives, actors, etc. -- it's way too country bumpkin for that. Now, actually being here isn't bad, but it's the perception people have whether you like it or not.
Thank you for this. It's hard to break past the ATL circle-jerk in this forum.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Can we please have an discussion in the Atlanta forum about Atlanta instead of throwing other cities in the discussion

Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post

Oh right ... the cast and crew of "The Walking Dead" just HATE living in Atlanta! They're just kicking and screaming to have to come down here and get paid eons of money to work on a hit show. Give me a break! Anybody in "the industry" is just happy to have a job and they go where the work is. It's always been like this. Besides, countless actors (as well as directors and producers) have stated quite often how much they enjoy working in Georgia. It's only the grunts apparently who think it is beneath them to have to leave LA or NYC. Whatever ...

Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
There's a cool shot of the Swan house in "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAuV8zUt1bk

Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
People are very mislead if they think Atlanta is the next Hollywood.
Atlanta does not have to have production activity to the extent of Hollywood for film-making to be a nice-sized industry here. Just like we don't have to be Silicon Valley to have a nice-sized tech industry here. I think we'll hold our own and be proud of what we have.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Its not that Atlanta is country bumpkin... its that Atlanta really isn't that big and every single area outside of Atlanta is country bumpkin.

I can understand a Californian not wanting to make the move out here. Atlanta has less to offer in every single category except for cost of living and housing prices.

You could probably get a New Yorker to move here.... but that would probably mean losing the opportunity to quickly advance in their career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta