Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 PM

14 posts, read 19,475 times

Advertisements

In Atlanta, you scored the 21st worst in the nation out of over 100 cities. Do you think that is accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:05 PM

183 posts, read 298,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theconnecticutman View Post
In Atlanta, you scored the 21st worst in the nation out of over 100 cities. Do you think that is accurate?
21st does seem to be a little higher up than expected, but at the same time, although our traffic is pretty horrendous, at least our traffic moves outside of rush hour and when theres no construction or accidents. Our only all day, 7 day a week choke spot is the downtown connector and I remember when I used to travel back and forth to Albany for school, I remember I75 in Henry County being pretty bad at weird times, but thats about it. Many places have traffic like our rush hour 7 days out of the week. Even metros much smaller than ours have that problem and we don't. But we all can at least say, if we want to travel across the metro for things on the weekends, we can say that we don't have to leave extra early due to traffic. (Except for the paving they were doing on 285 all summer and spring)

Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
21st does seem to be a little higher up than expected, but at the same time, although our traffic is pretty horrendous, at least our traffic moves outside of rush hour and when theres no construction or accidents. Our only all day, 7 day a week choke spot is the downtown connector and I remember when I used to travel back and forth to Albany for school, I remember I75 in Henry County being pretty bad at weird times, but thats about it. Many places have traffic like our rush hour 7 days out of the week. Even metros much smaller than ours have that problem and we don't. But we all can at least say, if we want to travel across the metro for things on the weekends, we can say that we don't have to leave extra early due to traffic. (Except for the paving they were doing on 285 all summer and spring)
I went to school in Albany also and always ran into issues in that same spot in Henry County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconnecticutman View Post
Where's the link? I need to know WHAT cities fared worse/better before I come to a conclusion

Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 PM

14 posts, read 19,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I went to school in Albany also and always ran into issues in that same spot in Henry County.

Where's the link? I need to know WHAT cities fared worse/better before I come to a conclusion
Which City Has the WORST Traffic? - weather.com

Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
You have to be careful with rankings...

In short my answer is yes -and- no, which I realize is completely annoying...

I travel 100% for work and see a great deal of traffic in many places. There is a good bit of competition for bad traffic and we compete pretty well.

Rankings are also based either on a writer's subjective reality or subjectivity of what data is important to look at.

I would say Atlanta's traffic is pretty bad if everyone had to go downtown (or one specific place) as is common in city's with older, more robust public transit or significantly smaller Under 3 million). In many ways Atlanta was this way in the 70s. However, in the 90s we had a huge rethinking regionally on how to keep the lifestyle people wanted (and the economic realities of where they lived) and changed the way zone/interact within the region. We encouraged more business investment in all parts of town and the zoning/building of multiple income levels to match the workers in the area (aka... if you're going to have a suburban mall area, then you will zone townhomes and apartments for retail workers nearby and add urban-collector roads)

End result: Slowly more and more people live closer to where they work and don't suffer from the results of our really bad traffic (physically present on major highways)

I'd say it is pretty bad, but we've adjusted expectations and habits to deal with it better. The main drawback is switching jobs/careers to a company in a different part of town. It is also harder to consider expanding transit regionally without having a centralized job center everyone is trying to get to (ie. freight tracks for possible commuter rail often don't go to suburban job centers or our other intown business centers)

Said an other war... City A and City B can have the same amount of traffic on a freeway corridor, but if it can impact fewer people in one of the cities it can decrease averages based in comparison...

Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 AM

402 posts, read 704,067 times
I think we should be 22.58753246

Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,309 times
Idk but traffic here isnt that bad as long as you use your traffic app too avoid traffic it isnt bad

Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Hard to believe Portland scored worse for traffic than Atlanta.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:37 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Hard to believe Portland scored worse for traffic than Atlanta.
Have you been there before?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,770 times
Atlanta is worse than Tampa and similar to Miami. We aren't as bad as many others above us, especially Chicago, DC, and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: