Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Noc Noc started this thread

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times

Advertisements

I saw this on ABC news last night. This home used 400K gals of water last month and the Atlanta officials can't seem to do anything about it. They plan on tripling his water bill to around 3K. Atlanta is well in a drought with no end in near sight and they can't limit this homes water usage. Regardless if it's for commercial use b/c they have a commercial grade meter the Atlanta officials should know whats going on here. They seem just as clueless as the neighbors. Amazing!

ABC News

CNN Video

Last edited by Noc; 11-13-2007 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 AM

187 posts, read 918,583 times
Wow! What a waste.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
I can think 2 reasons to use that much water:

- Hydroponic pot farm. Hey that big house has to cost money.

- Private reservoir. Get the water now while it is cheap and store it.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I can think 2 reasons to use that much water:

- Hydroponic pot farm. Hey that big house has to cost money.

- Private reservoir. Get the water now while it is cheap and store it.
You can google maps the address from the article and see that unless it's underground that a private reservoir can't fit on the land. Also what happened to the 390K gals used last month and the month before that? Unless they have a dolphin cool in the basement I can't see why a residential home would need this volume of water month after month.

Are they taking the term "washing money" too literally?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
This was the channel two story about it, though it pretty much says the same thing as the other stories: One Home Tops Cobbs Water Hog List - Dangerous Drought News Story - WSB Atlanta

It's in a pretty ritzy area of Marietta (suburb). Lots of "old south" money around there. They say he's in the liquor business, and one report said the guy actually lives in the house ALONE (??) That's a lot of toilet flushing for one person.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,432 times
The nerve of some people - what a selfish pig! How can anyone, much less 1 person, use that much water?!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Well, if he's paying for it, what's the issue here? Look, I think it is ridculous to use that much water too, but in a utility market system, you rectify supply with price. If the city charged the appropriate rates to compensate for supplies, then people would be less likely to hoard or use as much of a particular utility. Unfortunately, this mentality is lost on many for many different commodities (gas, produce, etc.). Many believe they are entitled to such things and should have not have to pay a premium for them.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 AM

177 posts, read 923,587 times
I'm sure that a $3000 dollar bill isn't going to phase this guy. That seems too cheap for the amount that he is using. No way should the rate be the same for him that it is for everybody else. Just where is all that water going anyway? its a big house but unless he is swimming in his hallway it doesn't make any since.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,432 times
Default The issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Well, if he's paying for it, what's the issue here? Look, I think it is ridculous to use that much water too, but in a utility market system, you rectify supply with price. If the city charged the appropriate rates to compensate for supplies, then people would be less likely to hoard or use as much of a particular utility. Unfortunately, this mentality is lost on many for many different commodities (gas, produce, etc.). Many believe they are entitled to such things and should have not have to pay a premium for them.
The issue as I see it is we are running out of water and this person has no sense of "community responsibility" . I don't think a $3000 water bill would make any difference. Yes, you are correct if he can pay for it - why not go ahead use all you want and more. Water has always been the cheapest utility bill I ever had but maybe it's time for a change.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM

I'm just baffled for the simple fact that he is using 400,000 gals. What do you do with so much water? And it's not like a one time thing. For the past few months it's been 370K gals plus.

Is he taking a crap in the pool everyday and release refilling the water on a daily basis? I'd be up in arms if I actually lived down there, hell I'm up in arms and I don't live there. I'd be asking A LOT of questions if I were under restriction and this guy is using that much water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: