Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 16,046 times

Advertisements

I am from Los Angeles and my future job is near ATL airport area.

I like both Marrietta and Stockbridge area. Can someone give me Pros and Cons of those locations?

I have a 4 year old so good school district, safe area and diverse community are very important to me. I don't mind 30 - 45 minute commute to work.
I have also looked at Fayetteville but I don't think I can afford it. My budget is about 150k to 200k.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Well, you're not getting from Marietta to the airport in 30-45 minutes unless you leave the house at 5:30-6:00am, so that's the first thing to consider.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
Neither of those places for your price range will have tremendous schools, though Stockbridge may be a tiny bit better. Did you look at Peachtree City or areas in Coweta County? Those areas are still well-priced and have great schools.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:22 AM

129 posts, read 659,312 times
You can FOR SURE find something in that price range in henry county.. Stockbridge, McDonough,Locust Grove.. That area is also very diverse , however there is definitly better areas than some for schools...

. Stockbridge in general is not known to have a good school district.. Locust Grove in growing like crazy and buliding new schools every year.. Same with McDonough..The best school area both word of mouth and test scores are Union grove/east lake feeders and the new Ola schools.. Eagles landing and Luella would follow

I think you could also find many things in your price range in Coweta county too.. Newnan area.. That commute to the airport would not be bad at all either

You won't find much in that price range in a good school district in the Marietta area and the commute will be double what you said..

You could also probably find things in the fayetteville area of clayton county, but you are looking at not very good schools, which you said was important.
Good Luck in your search..

Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, you're not getting from Marietta to the airport in 30-45 minutes unless you leave the house at 5:30-6:00am, so that's the first thing to consider.
Agreed. If you will be working at the airport and you want a short commute (30-45 minutes), you will want to be looking south of the city, in the general vicinity (or south of) the airport.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 AM

32 posts, read 95,793 times
I wonder if people who posted actually live on the South side. Schools are a big issue on the southside. No matter what Henry County does it still can't shake the stink that is Clayton county. Stockbridge offers less quality schools (unless you're in the Eagles Landing cluster) and almost the same travel time during peak hours to the airport. Stockbridge will be more affordable though. Marietta will be more convenient to Atlanta, offer you a trip time of about 45 minutes to the airport on most days. I've driven this drive and oddly enough part of the time it seems like you are going against the flow of traffic during peak times, so it's usually a great ride. Some of the schools in Marietta are award winning and statistically speaking Cobb County ranks as #2 in metro Atlanta areas for school. It will be much more pricey in Marietta, forcing you to look at older homes or newer townhomes in this price range. Real Estate is simple. For the more desirable and convenient areas you will pay more. If an area in Metro Atlanta is cheaper than another, then there is a reason that has more to do with the area. The truth about commuting in Atlanta is that any morning or afternoon your 15 minute ride can turn into 1 hour in a heartbeat. Other areas to consider are Villa Rica, Dallas, Douglasville, Fairburn, and Ellenwood.None have the schools that Marietta have, but they offer in most cases newer construction, better trip times and the potential to have better schools.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 16,046 times
Thank you all for the replies.

I am an Asian so are my family members. If you were me, where you think you will choose to live? I don't mean I just want to live in Asian community but I like to have a diverse community that welcomes other Immigrants.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:01 AM

129 posts, read 659,312 times
well as far as I can see every where I have been in metro atlanta is very diverse, some more than others but I see people of all races every where I go....
I have lived in both McDonough and Kennesaw (currently) and for the price range you are speaking and the things you are looking for, Henry county is going to offer the most choice IMHO... Just choose your schools wisely.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times
With the real estate prices cycling downward, I think you may be able to get into Fayetteville in your price range. Keep in mind that you don't have to make an offer at the asking price and most certainly you should be able to find someone that HAS to sell and you can get a deal.

Between Peachtree City, Fayetteville, & Tyrone, I saw 340 or so single family houses LISTED at 225K and under with 3 or more bedrooms. Again, I bet you can get in under or just around 200K.

You'll get diversity, the higher ranked schools, and nice community/city amenities, plus it's very pretty!!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times
Just to add, there are many, many people who commute to the airport in Fayette county. It is a fast and pleasant ride, about 20 minutes or so from PTC or Tyrone depending on how "deeply" you are in the city; how far away you live from the xpwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta